ZZ TOP VS THE BOSS

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
Still sounds pretty much all the same to me. "Funky" and "fresh" are definitely subjective.
I don't recognize "Leila" or It's So Hard" at all, I can't imagine they were much of a threat to Fleetwood Mac's hits which everybody knows.
Springsteen's range is miles wider that ZZT's.
14X1MbJ.jpg

Maybe it's a global thing and Texans don't understand?
Bless your heart.

tele12

Poster Extraordinaire
So ZZ Top sold their catalog for 50 Million ...
Bruce sold his for 500 Million.

Really ???? Did Bruce just have better negotiators or did Billy get taken?

I would have thought ZZ Tops music would have as much commercial value as Springsteens.

I dont know...
I was just surprised by the low dollar amount Billy agreed on.

ZZ Top has 50 million total album sales and Bruce 150 million.
So there would certainly seem to be a pretty big disparity between the artists popularity over there careers.
I would also think Bruce has way more songs covered by other artists.

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
It all seems like a vast conspiracy to influence the masses and suppress more deserving bands of fair and equal compensation for their catalogs :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

bromdenlong

Tele-Meister
Nebraska is a great album. I don't much dig the E st. band, but I liked a few songs on Born in the USA. I like Bruce better by himself.

I had a tape of Eliminator when it came out, but I've never really looked into their catalog.

Apples to oranges, as said before.

I'm much more shocked that Springsteen got more than BOB DYLAN!!!! How in hell does that happen?

tanplastic

Friend of Leo's
Nebraska is a great album. I don't much dig the E st. band, but I liked a few songs on Born in the USA. I like Bruce better by himself.

I had a tape of Eliminator when it came out, but I've never really looked into their catalog.

Apples to oranges, as said before.

I'm much more shocked that Springsteen got more than BOB DYLAN!!!! How in hell does that happen?
No love for Darkness On The Edge Of Town?
Some spooky stuff on that as well as the typical Bruce anthems.

bromdenlong

Tele-Meister
No love for Darkness On The Edge Of Town?
Some spooky stuff on that as well as the typical Bruce anthems.

I don't really know the album. I'm mostly just basing my opinion on what I've heard on the radio over the years. There, the E street band is 1/4 poignant, 1/4 semi-stirring, and 1/2 annoying to me.

That might be a mistake, I suppose. Some bands deep cuts are much better than their hits.

tanplastic

Friend of Leo's
I don't really know the album. I'm mostly just basing my opinion on what I've heard on the radio over the years. There, the E street band is 1/4 poignant, 1/4 semi-stirring, and 1/2 annoying to me.

That might be a mistake, I suppose. Some bands deep cuts are much better than their hits.
I get what you're saying about the E-Street Band, they can be a little over the top.
Here's an example of the darker songs on DOTEOT.

tele12

Poster Extraordinaire
I can agree that Bruces catalog is worth more than ZZ Tops ...
:cool:

But is Bruce's really worth 1/2 Billion dollars? :confused:

I know it is because that's what he got for it, but... damn ... :eek:

What other artist of Bruce's era is anywhere in that ballpark?
Is there one?
Is Bruce really the Boss?
o_O
FG

Billy Joel would easily be considered Bruce's equal in any sales/money/airplay criteria.