ZT Lunchbox Reverb Or JC-22

barnbustud

Tele-Holic
Alas, i need a new amp and can't decide on which would be a better deal considering how small the difference is between the two.

The ZT lunchbox sounds like a toilet roll but the portable size is unbeatable!
Whereas the JC 22 is quite a beast, a lil sterile for my liking but more organic and 3-4kgs heavier.

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
I haven't played the Roland but it sounds like you have a straight choice between volume and sweet sounds.

I have the Lunchbox reverb. It's uninspiring at low volume.

I hear that it sounds good at higher volumes - which is what it is designed for - but I haven't been able to use it above about 1.5 yet, because the walls start shaking, so I honestly don't know what it sounds like.

But for portability and volume at a non-Henricksen price I would think it's pretty hard to beat.

You might need two amps . . .

schenkadere

Friend of Leo's
I had a Lunchbox for a day. Plugged it in and packed it back up. Horrible sounding amp IMO. YMMV.

I love my JC-22. For the price they could throw in a reverb/chorus footswitch, but they don't, lol.

srblue5

Tele-Holic
Can’t say I’ve tried the Roland or the newer Lunchbox Reverb but I have a regular Lunchbox. I think it’s a good all-purpose portable amp that takes pedals well. The tone without pedals can be harsh and/or sterile, especially when pointed right at your head/ears. However, when I put a Formula 55 or Joyo American Sound in front of it, it softens the sound and is quite nice for rehearsals and small gigs without needing to break the back with the Peavey Bandit.

Mr Swisher

Tele-Meister
I have the JC 22.

If you want a clean amp it's perfect. It sounds great if you like that Jazz Chorus sound (I do). The stereo chorus just gives you an additional dimension. Takes pedals well too. For home use it has a headphone jack.

If you have great sounding guitar it will sound great straight in, if you need a dirt channel.. it's obviously not the one.

IMG_20210420_121918_902.jpg

guitarsophist

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter

maggieo

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I don't know any of those other options but I do have a Pignose. Mine is in Tweed, and it looks pretty cool:

tweedpignose.jpg

I'd say it is pretty good for what it is as long as what you want is a warm distorted tone. If you are looking for Fender cleans, look elsewhere.

I've had a 70's Pignose forever, and I thought the same thing. But it turns out that as you turn the volume on your guitar down, it turns into a really warm clean amp. Using the open/closed trick, you can brighten it up, too.

BTW, this works best with older Pignose amps- they have paper cones, as opposed to the new ones, which have plastic cones.

Pignose Amp, May 24, 2015
by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Bob with the Pignose, July, 2008
by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

A couple of friends had the JC-22, but sold/traded them for the JC-40, which they felt was a far superior amp, FWIW.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Alas, i need a new amp and can't decide on which would be a better deal considering how small the difference is between the two.

The ZT lunchbox sounds like a toilet roll but the portable size is unbeatable!
Whereas the JC 22 is quite a beast, a lil sterile for my liking but more organic and 3-4kgs heavier.
What I have observed is that some folks like the new Roland amps more than the cubs I had a cube and it was A-O.K. CLEAN.
SO .... JEEZ HOW CAN i HAVE AN OPINION ON THE GEAR THAT i HAVEN'T PLAYED?

Eastbound71

TDPRI Member
JC 22 looks like a sweet amp, and known for the clean sounds/stereo chorus, but obviously you wont get the volume from this that you'd get from the Lunch box. I'm looking at the THR 30, which includes the ability to run direct to my DAW for recording, battery powered if needed, plus more overall sounds and effects. Its a lot of cash tho.

barnbustud

Tele-Holic
Hey lovely telecaster friends, i play songs with no pedals, all i need is verb. Currently the plan is to play Campilongo songs that i have learnt as well as some jazz sounds. Budget is below $600. Solid state would be best as i find tube amps a hassle in maintenance. Thank you all for the many recommendations, having tried both the Lunch box and JC 22. The JC 22 sounds more complete but dead and cold. Am trying to ignore the beauty of sound to some extent and focus on the darn music haha.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I had a Lunchbox for a day. Plugged it in and packed it back up. Horrible sounding amp IMO. YMMV.

I love my JC-22. For the price they could throw in a reverb/chorus footswitch, but they don't, lol.

A big Amen!
The Lunchbox is one of the most disappointing sounding amps I ever considered.
JC 22 for the win!

barnbustud

Tele-Holic
JC 22 looks like a sweet amp, and known for the clean sounds/stereo chorus, but obviously you wont get the volume from this that you'd get from the Lunch box. I'm looking at the THR 30, which includes the ability to run direct to my DAW for recording, battery powered if needed, plus more overall sounds and effects. Its a lot of cash tho.

Today i tried the THR 30 after reading your post and was quite disappointed. It sounded very processed and the built was quite tanky.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I don't know any of those other options but I do have a Pignose. Mine is in Tweed, and it looks pretty cool:

tweedpignose.jpg

I'd say it is pretty good for what it is as long as what you want is a warm distorted tone. If you are looking for Fender cleans, look elsewhere.
Someone on DC-area CL actually has a kind of beat up one ( but good working order) FS for $40.
I'm set for small amps ( and gig with only small) but I'm tempted to add a Pignose to the collection- I really should own one!

Edit- just contacted seller of Pignose, hope to get Saturday!

Last edited:

RomanS

Poster Extraordinaire
Is this for playing at home? Then nothing beats the Positive Grid Spark, IMHO...
Takes maybe an hour to set up some great sounds, after that it's just plug and play...
If it's for playing with other people, I'd look at the Quilter Aviator Cub, if you want solid state (I have the Superblock US myself, which is like the pedalboard version of the Aviator Cub - perfect for the tones you're looking for).

MyLittleEye

Tele-Meister
Someone on DC-area CL actually has a kind of beat up one ( but good working order) FS for $40.
I'm set for small amps ( and gig with only small) but I'm tempted to add a Pignose to the collection- I really should own one!

Edit- just contacted seller of Pignose, hope to get Saturday!
How have you got on with your lil' Piggy? 🐽
Some say the Pignose is a one trick pony but I pair mine with a Zoom Multistomp to bring it squealing in to the 21'st century. Whatever it may lack in refinement it makes up for with character!

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
How have you got on with your lil' Piggy? 🐽
Some say the Pignose is a one trick pony but I pair mine with a Zoom Multistomp to bring it squealing in to the 21'st century. Whatever it may lack in refinement it makes up for with character!
That Pignose deal never happened- the CL seller sold it to another w/o notifying me, when I finally bugged him- he told me.

But since I posted this ( a while ago), I bought a 2nd Vox Pathfinder 15R ( which I ended up giving to a buddy, that got me a guitar for my Birthday!)
And just got a 5-watt tube Monoprice/ Stage Right, for kicks! ( I can actually use this on small gigs)

So, will maybe get a Pignose later in the year?
Keep building up my ' Cool Small Amps' collection.

hnryclay

Tele-Holic
I really dont like the Jazz chorus for, jazz. Its good for shoegaze, and the intro to alot of 80s metal songs, but not for jazz, in my opinion.