Zoom Ms 50g V.3 Owners ( Also g3n and g5n )

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Thin white duke, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

Hi guys everytime i try some of the overdrive pedals on the Zoom ms 50 g i'm like, what the hell.... some of them sound so good.

I'm talking about Sweet Drive and Dynamic Drive in particular but also the Rc Booster and Ts Drive but the Sweet Drive more than any other.

All this models are from the new firmware v.3

I think they are also on the g3n and g5n.

What do you think ?

Do you find them any good ?

Cheers.

2. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I use a G3n most of the time. I find the all the drives usable in some context. I even used the acoustic simulator today and received the rare “tone complement.”

3. Thin white duke

Hi thanks, i never tried the acoustic sim, i've had bad experience with them, i'll give it a try. ;):)

4. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

There’s a bunch of them in my Zoom MS100 too and some more that can be downloaded.
    I use the Rat clone (“Rodent” iirc) for distortion into my AC15C1 and it certainly works well.
    I haven’t used many of the other distortion effects recently so I can’t comment on them too much... I sometimes use one of the Marshall sims for distortion (especially if I don’t have the Vox available) and that sounds pretty good.

5. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

JUST ... YES

Thin white duke likes this.
  6. allesz

allesz Tele-Holic

I really like some of the bonus effects of the last upgrade.
    Personally I prefer an external drive for flexibility, but the drives are not bad at all.

7. Thin white duke

Very clear. ;););)

Pepi likes this.
  8. Thin white duke

Me too , i use external drive but because i need a new light od pedal i don't know if to use a drive from the Zoom and do not buy any pedal.
    Hard life. ;););)

9. Thin white duke

Thanks man, yes the Rat clone is non bad too.

10. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I'm an original G3 owner and an MS50G (v3) owner. Great sounding pedals... especially considering the costs. The original G3 did not get the latest updates... and the overdrives are OK, but not stellar (except the RAT).... IMO! The optical compressor is another effect I can't get on the G3 that I wish I could.

Since I like running direct on occasion, I'll touch on the amp sims. I wasn't a fan of the amp models on these Zoom units until I learned one simple trick.... add a Z-Clean block (default settings, just insert it) after the amp model. It brings the amps to life! This applies to both my G3 and my MS50G.

I've never liked acoustic sims.... but the one in these units is very good. Much nicer than the BOSS AC-2/AC-3 and many others I've tried.

I think Zoom calls it the Squeak.... but yes, it's great!

11. Thin white duke

Hi i agree with you, i've had the old G3 for two times but except the Squeak and i think the Zakk Wild i didn't liked any drive, in the new Ms 50g they improve a lot to me, i mean the Sweet Drive it's very very good.

You know what, when sometimes i played straight into p.a. i used to use the Z-clean as well, sometimes even without any amp model, it was not bad at all.

Have you tried the new drives on the Ms 50 v.3 ?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  12. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

I stand corrected! It’s a while since I programmed it, the preset I have stored is called “RAT >V” (I have 5 or 6 “>V” presets which I’ve tuned for running into the VOX, then I use the foot switch to cycle between 3 or 4 of them for a gig - usually Clean - Rat - Chorus, sometimes I add Boost (clean) in as well).

13. J-Flanders

J-Flanders Tele-Meister

I have a G3 as well. Apart from the USB interface capability, I rarely actually use it. But it's sure fun to play around with.
    I can easily get lost for hours experimenting with all the weird effects (bomber, pitch shifters, bit crusher, benders, octavers, slicers etc.)

I like the reverbs, I might actually use it for those, but I have a spring tank and a Hardwire RV7, both of which outperform the G3.

On the analog delays I really miss the white noise, clock whine and grungyness of a real bbd delay.

Whenever I 'need' a Flanger, Phaser, Vibe, Chorus, etc., the kind of effect I would never buy a pedal for because I rarely use it, I grab the G3. It's more than good enough for me. For OD, tremolo, reverb and delay I prefer a dedicated pedal or amp.

It took me a long time to realise that pretty much all of the OD/distortion/Fuzz sims have WAY too much gain and also way too much output. This makes them all sound too similar.
    They retain much more of their character when you reduce the volume and keep the gain below 10 or so (they go to 100).
    I didn't like how they slapped the same tone control on all overdrives and distortions. I hoped they would have simulated it more accurately.

The Fuzz Face does not clean up at all, not one bit, kinda disappointing, as that is what a Fuzz Face is all about: interaction with the guitar's volume knob.
    The Big Muff didn't match any of the 10 real Big Muffs I owned at the time of comparison. No idea what model they went for when they simmed it.

The amp sims are nice, but here again they slapped the same (active) 3 band EQ on all the amps. I really hoped they modeled the specific passive (FMV) tone stack for each amp.

What I really like is how the drums tempo matches the time based effects (delay, flanger, tremolo, slicer). This is something I could never achieve which separate pedals and my drumcomputer or Trio.

The accoustic sim is better than anything else I ever tried.

Another great feature is that you can use the same effect multiple times in one patch. This way for example you can have a 12 band parametric EQ! (6 times the 2 band parametric eq).

I hacked around a bit in the binary code. Some of it ended up being used by Ash Bass in his mods and tweaks:http://ashbass.com/AshBassGuitar/Zoom/index.html?Effecturator2000.html

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Is there a new upgrade for the MS-70 CDR?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.