Zoom H4n - help needed

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by udoering, Dec 23, 2014.

1. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Some days ago a co-worker and me played a little music at the christmas staff party of our institution. The co-worker recorded that with his Zoom H4n (which he hadn´t used himself so far). Now I have this device to copy the recorded files to my computer to (maybe) process them with Cubase, split them into different tracks and burn them to CD.

In theory - and according to the manual - it´s easy. Start the device, connect it via usb to the computer, dial in the "USB" from the menu, then "connect" and Windows recognises the SD-Card as a drive etc.

Alas, Windows does not recognise the H4n; it does not install any driver, and there is no access to the SD card. This was the same on two different computers, both equipped with Windows 7. The Zoom´s manual does not state any other working steps to enable the usb-connection. A Google search regarding that topic only brought the manual, bot no trouble-shooting.

Anyone here can help?

2. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

When I connect my H1 (power must be off) to USB, Windows recognises the SD-card or USB-Microphone. I have to choose which one on the H1 by pressing the rec-button.
    this doesn't work when the device is turned on.

I don't know if it's the same with the H4.
    good luck.

3. udoering

Thank you for your tip. Following your description, Windows firstly gives an error warning (unknown device), then states that a driver has beeing installed, but the devices doesn´t show in the explorer, and no device is shown as actual usb device.

Frohe Weihnachten, Alamo.

4. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

A little confused here - if there's an SD card, you should be able to just pop it out and put that into any computer and read it. Both my Zoom recorders create a bunch of folders (FOLDER01 .. FOLDER10) and possibly a 4CH folder, and the .WAV or .MP3 files can be copied directly. Unless the user changed the default, everything should be in FOLDER01. That's what I always do. Otherwise you have to change the recorder settings back and forth all the time. (Just be careful not to slide the write-lock tab so you disable recording when you need it! DAMHIKT...)

I'm assuming you can playback and listen to the recording on the H4n, itself. Worst case, take a stereo 3.5mm cable from the headphone jack to a line in and re-record, but you should be able to copy off the SD card itself.

5. Alamo

Ok, Windows has it. now is the time to turn on the H4n.

this is what I found:

6. udoering

The problem is, I have no device for reading SD cards.

7. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

You have a camera that takes an SD card that has a USB/storage mode? (Just don't format the card !)

Not sure what the problem is - I set my Zoom H2 menu USB item to Storage and there it is in Explorer. Seems strange, but I have no experience with the H4n.

But, like I said, if the music is actually on the device, you can transfer it with the headphone out. Not ideal to do the conversion again, but at least you get it captured. Of course, then you'd need a cable...

8. udoering

Strange things happen. I tried to follow what Alamo had posted; but the Zoom starts without me doing anything as soon as the usb-cable is plugged in. It then jumps directly into the usb-menu. I tried this and that and suddenly Windows told me that drivers are going to be installes and then that I can use the device now.

I opened the folders via the Windows Explorer and copied the file I needed to my laptop. As soon as this was finished Windows told me again that it couldn´t recognise the device?!? I did not touch anything, I swear!! Now I can´t make the Zoom disconnect the usb-connection, and I will have to plug it out "unsafe" :((. The Zoom doesn´t like me, I think.

Thank you for your efforts. And a merry Christmas, Still_fiddlin!

9. Alamo

10. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

You can get a card reader for very cheap — under $10 US ... plugs into a USB port and mounts as a disk.

11. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

I got an H4N for Christmas and didn't have any of these issues. I followed the instructions on page 35 of the manual and it worked fine. Could it be a computer issue rather than a device issue? I know very little about tech things, just guessing since it worked so easily for me.

12. udoering

Well, maybe, though the same thing happened on two different computers. Anyhow, the needed file could be copied, and as this is not my device, and everybody else has no problems, I think I won´t have that problem again.

Thank You all for your help, and have a good 2015!

13. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ullrich I don't know if this will help or not, but are you plugging the device into a USB 3.0 port or an earlier specced one? The reason I ask is my BR600 hates being plugged into the USB 3.0 port but works perfectly when plugged into the USB 2.0 port located at the back of the PC.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.