ZOOM G1X FOUR on the way

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by telel6s, Nov 14, 2019.

1. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

For a while, I've been on the lookout for a second reverb pedal. I currently have an older Marshall Reflector that I really like, but I've set up separate boards for acoustic & electric guitars, plus I use the reverb in the effects loop of a small mixer when playing out with a trio. For the acoustic and vocal/mixer one option I've wanted is a pre-delay setting.

I was pretty much settled on a HoF2 and waiting with hope for Black Friday sales. But even at, let's say, 15% off I was hesitant at paying that much (not that it's too expensive for what it is, it's just more than I want to pay for something that likely won't earn me an extra 0.02 at gigs).

So I've been keeping an eye out for other options. The HoF mini is a good price when bought used and I'm OK with only the single toneprint at any one time, but I'd want more than a single knob to account for different room environments. I've been reading up on the ZOOM MG-50G and MS-70CDR. About the same price as a HoF2 but with a lot more functionality.

But doing more googling today I was looking at some of the other Zoom multi-effect pedals. Then found the G1X FOUR on Amazon for $79, which is typically the price for the G1 FOUR without expression pedal. While a bigger footprint than the MS-50 or -70 the interface looks better for live performance. And my understanding is that they all use the same code for reverb, delay, etc. Zoom has a similar box for acoustics, A1 FOUR, but it's not on sale ($150) and after looking through the effects available there's not much in the A1 that I'd miss in the G1. So the G1 is on it's way (with free return option if I change my mind).

It will still primarily be used for reverb, but who knows, maybe I'll set up some chains I like better like Comp > EQ > Reverb. I currently have an inexpensive Dano Chorus & Donner Dynamic Wah so those might get knocked off the board as well. I really love my Love Pedal EPH-3 delay - it actually stays on all the time and I just turn up the mix knob when I want a delay. We'll have to see how that mixes with the Zoom.

As for the drive, amps & cab modeling - fun to play with but not something for which I'm spending the money. That said, I could see it getting used at an open mic or something similar where I do bring a Joyo AC Sound once in a while.

[​IMG]

duzie likes this.
  2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats. Happy upcoming NPD.

3. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I would love to hear your review of this. I have a number of guitarist at church that I would love to be able to send this direction. They can't afford a Helix or Factual or any of those types of units and this would be within their price range.

telel6s likes this.
  4. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

So the pedal arrived and I had about 90 minutes to futz around with it Saturday afternoon in my rec room at home. I'm happy with it so far. I won't be selling my Super Reverb or Princeton or SubDecay Fuzz or Gibson acoustic or Lovepedal EPH-3 or Marhsall Reverb or anything else in the near future, but I think this will serve a purpose.

I played around with the Zoom with my Tele and a small Behringer battery powered PA speaker. All of the presets assume you are going into a guitar amp, so I needed to switch all the presets to include a mic simulation. That helps. The presets that I tried (and I did not go through all forty of them) were OK, my biggest complaint being that the output levels were all over the place. That said, some of the preset patches weren't that bad. The Led Zep, Brian May, Jeff Beck, and Surf patches were kind of cool once I tamed them in a bit. But it wasn't a matter of starting from scratch. And the Acoustic Simulation patch - which is one of the things I was looking for since I'll be playing outdoor farmers markets into December and don't want to bring out my nice Gibson into dry cold weather - was OK once I switched out the chorus to a detune for a 12-string effect which sounded more natural to my ears. And the reverbs with a pre-delay setting do what I want for that part of an acoustic guitar reverb.

After just a couple minutes with the online manual, it was pretty easy to copy a patch to the one open bank (there are 5 banks of ten patches. Banks 1 through 4 are pre-populated; bank 5 is empty). Once I copied six to a new bank, I could pretty quickly get them all into a similar output volume. Since my initial use for this is acoustic gigs and farmers markets I set up several acoustic patches and a couple clean electric sounds (Deluxe Reverb, AC-30, Matchless) plus a 50s Tweed Bassman for one or two dirtier things.

I've got a farmers market to play tomorrow morning but the temps will be lower than I like for bringing out my nice Gibson acoustic, so I'll bring along this new Zoom with my Tele and a Breedlove travel guitar (tuned up to A - like capo 5). One thing I already like about this new Zoom is that I don't really need separate patches for the electric or the acoustic -- I can just disable the acoustic simulation when I plug in the Breedlove.

My only real complaint at the moment is that with the delays and reverbs you can't set the feedback to just a hair over zero. On the Zoom, if I set a delay's feedback to zero or one, there are still multiple repeats. Or reverbs have noticeable decay length. I'm used to using delay and reverb pedals (Lovepedal, MXR, Dano, Marhshall, others) where the feedback or decay can be down at like 1/4 or 1/2 repeat for that barely there feel.

Also, there is a firmware update that will give me something like 20%-25% more "pedals" to work with including delays, reverbs, and expression pedal options. But my home computer at the moment runs Linux so I can't do the firmware update at the moment. I'll likely be getting a new Windows computer with Thanksgiving sales coming up, or else I'll just buy a friend a beer to help me update the pedal.

5. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

And one more thing to add>>> the Step Filter and the ZVEX Seek Wah emulation are really kind of cool. I'd never used anything like those and now I want to figure out how to use them. It might just be for background noise while introducing the next song, but I like them. :D

6. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

I bought the G1 Four without expression pedal this spring. It's perfect for traveling, and it's small enough that I can stick it on the end of my small pedalboard for whatever I need or don't have a dedicated pedal for. Or just plug it solo into an amp that needs a little something. The drives are better than I expected. The Vox amp sim is better than the Vox amp sim in the GT-100 generation of Boss amp sims. The looper and drum machine combo is limited but very easy to set up, which means it actually gets used. I plan to get the bass version too. The only real hangup is that, playing live, it's easy to hit the wrong stomp (or both, which sends the unit into tuner mode). This isn't a design flaw, necessarily, so much as a consequence of the pedal being so compact. And since I bought the pedal for, in part, its compactness, it seems churlish to complain. That said, when I discovered this I spent some time working out equivalent patches on my Boss GT-1, which is larger and probably sturdier.

Oh, and I would like an on/off switch.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.