1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ziricote

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Collin D Plonker, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Anyone else try this Mexican hardwood? I was drawn to the figuring posted on the StewMac site.

slotted-fingerboard-for-fender-guitar.jpg

Looks good, right? Then I checked out some production guitars that use it.

a38409791a1af0df4f12306802e39cc4_70570991-4211-4147-97b3-5042085e7cce.jpg

Pretty cool, right? So I bought two slotted fretboards. In both, the grain was straighter than I hoped. The wood is pretty hard, but it doesn't take lemon oil as well, so it looks a little dull. I like it ok, but I would like to make the grain pop a bit more. What would you suggest? Boiled linseed oil? Nitro finish? Or something else?

IMG_20210225_144043.jpg

I like the wood but it looks so dull. I had to take it outside to get a good shot. What to do?

2. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

The wood has to be cut with the right grain orientation to get the "landscape" pattern, as it's called. Based on your fretboard flecks, you got an edge grain piece. I've worked a couple boards with very underwhelming grain patterns. You have to sand it very high to get it to shine up well. Also, I prefer an oil like Tru Oil or Danish oil. You just need one coat for the color to come in.

Collin D Plonker likes this.
  3. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

Still pretty. I like the flecks in your piece. Those should pop real nice if you sand to high grit and oil.

4. Collin D Plonker

So how high would you go? I think it's at 220 now.

5. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have a Warmoth neck with a Ziricote fretboard that I like a lot. To be honest though I can't tell you much of a difference between that and rosewood. Sounds good/feels good/is good.

6. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Holic

Try wax. I tried to oil it, but like you, just made it dark. But when I waxed it - lovely.

7. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

For something really hard, I go to 1000 at a minimum. I never go lower than 600 myself.

Collin D Plonker likes this.
  8. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

^this. 1000 grit minimum. You can get those sandpaper packs at O'Reilly's or Autozone that have up to 2000 grit. Grab one of those and go through the grits all the way up. Some of the kits even have a small sanding block that works great on fretboards. The issue you'll have is that your frets are already in, so it's going to be a pain. You don't want to sand across the grain.

9. Collin D Plonker

Thank for the advice...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.