1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ziricote Guitar Top

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Geniustoogs, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Geniustoogs

Geniustoogs Tele-Meister

I recently bought a Ziricote top on eBay which is said to be jointed and thickness sanded already. It hasn’t arrived yet, but the description also said that it has a moisture content of 6%.

Should I be concerned about that percent of moisture? I’m not too familiar with the rules of drying wood because I usually buy body blanks which are already dry. Will the top shrink after it’s been glued onto the body and carved?

Thanks for any help!

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

That is already dry. Kiln dried hardwoods are generally dried to 6-8% moisture content. You'll want to let it acclimate to your environment for a while.

Geniustoogs likes this.
  3. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Sounds fine. California is a big place with every environment from desert to darn near rain forest. What part are you in?
    No matter which, if you give it a few weeks before you glue it on you ought to be fine. While it acclimates I would sticker it with stickers both below and above the top, and put some weight on the top stickers to help it stay flat.
    Rex

Newbcaster and Geniustoogs like this.
  4. Bilbert

Bilbert TDPRI Member

Agree w/ GB! Seller SAYS the MC is 6%, but unless you have a nice moisture meter, weigh the Ziri, keep it in an air-conditioned known dry location, and weigh it every couple of days.

If the top doesn't lose weight, it is dry. If it does lose weight, don't use it until the weight stops changing.

Ziri is very dense wood, and quite stable when dry. What type body are you going to top this with - painted, natural grain??

You will need a scale accurate to 1 gram readings, and although I have a moisture meter, I keep a scale in my building area, and use it far more than my MM!

Here's a good one for $8 bucks, free shipping:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=292685380760

Geniustoogs likes this.
  5. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's

You should be thrilled with 6% percent moisture. That said, I always check to ensure.

Geniustoogs likes this.
  6. Solaris moon

Solaris moon Tele-Meister

Zircote is usually around 8% moisture - any less than that and you risk splitting it. It's a hardwood and won't be too tolerant of cold either. It's an african hardwood (I think). All I do know is that the properties of this type of wood isn't as forgiving as what we're all used to having guitars made from.

Geniustoogs likes this.
  7. Dunkerhook

Dunkerhook Tele-Meister

Ziricote is from Central America. Southern Mexico and so on.

It is prone to cracking. You can greatly reduce the risk by sealing the end grain (it very well may already be done). If you plan on using it soon, this is less important. But if there’s any chance it will hang around awhile, seal the ends before you sticker it.

Congratulations on the top. I hope you show us what you build with it.

Geniustoogs likes this.
  8. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

What is the Ziricote going on top of? Ziricote is hard and will move with changes in humidity (all wood does). As a general rule, the harder it is the more it will move. Big differences in stability and movement between your body and your top can create issues. I would sticker the top for a couple of weeks once you get it to allow it to stabilize to your locale. Ziricote is a Central American/Mexican hardwood by the way, not African.

Geniustoogs likes this.
  9. Solaris moon

Solaris moon Tele-Meister

Like I said before - I wasn't 100% positive. I only know that it's a hardwood and it's not as forgiving as far as humidity and such. I also heard someone say to seal the ends with wax to help stablize it. That's a good idea to do until it's ready for processing.

Geniustoogs likes this.
  10. Geniustoogs

Geniustoogs Tele-Meister

Wow! Lots of great info here. Thank you everybody :)

To answer some of the questions asked:

I’ll be putting it on a walnut body within a month, and I plan to do a natural finish with either tru-oil, or lacquer if I feel adventurous lol

Perhaps I will build a thread, I’ve been a viewer and occasional question asker on the forums but I’ve never truly made a build thread... we shall see

11. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

The relationship between the top and body woods is important. I would make sure both are acclimated before proceeding. It's unlikely that you will have problems later as long as the guitar lives in a fairly advantageous moisture/temperature environment, and assuming you finish it properly. But movement in the body wood -- expansion and contraction -- will crack the ziricote just as readily as movement in the ziri itself. So I would be patient and make sure the stuff has settled down, totally regardless of its initial moisture level, before proceeding.

Geniustoogs likes this.
  12. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Are you familiar with the 'winding sticks' method of checking a board for flatness? Use two thin but straight sticks placed across the board at each end and then get down and eyeball them. if the wood is twisted at all then the sticks will accentuate this. Just because it was planed (the seller said 'jointed'?) and sanded flat at one moment in time doesn't mean it stayed that way. The wood could have dried further or it simply could have revealed internal tensions that were released by machining to size. Thats why the builders above have cautioned to keep the board stickered - for air to get to it - and at the same time weighted down to resist warping.

eallen likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.