Zippo! Who still has one?

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
I have 4 all with broken hinges that can't be sent away for repair as part of Zippo's lifetime guarantee.
The UK postal rules changed a few years ago and absurdly the empty cases are considered flammable. Royal Mail go out their way to actively bin them and I would want to risk losing them as each one holds great sentimental value on their engraving: my wedding, my 30th birthday and the births of my 2 kids.

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
I got one after a thread here a couple of years ago. I haven't smoked for 23 years - I use mine for melting a little nub on the end of classical guitar strings to stop the knot slipping at the bridge. Though it's always dry when I want it.

Still, the sound of them. Reminds me of Humphrey Bogart films. The smell of them too.

A total classic design.

20220119_103418.jpg

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
I have 4 all with broken hinges that can't be sent away for repair as part of Zippo's lifetime guarantee.
The UK postal rules changed a few years ago and absurdly the empty cases are considered flammable. Royal Mail go out their way to actively bin them and I would want to risk losing them as each one holds great sentimental value on their engraving: my wedding, my 30th birthday and the births of my 2 kids.
Have you enquired here?

They suggest sending to them in Milton Keynes by courier. Worth checking with them?

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
I was tired of never being able to find matches to light candles, bbq, etc....., so I bought an old fashioned refillable Zippo. The smell reminds me so much of my grandfather lighting up a pipe back in the day.

Who still uses/carries one?

Heh, you could say I have a few... :)

I have different collections, including pinup girls, cars, beer, railroading, Zippo's Collectables of the Year, and musical instrument brands like Fender, Gibson, Zildjian, Marshall, Jackson, all that I could find, like an Ibanez four-surface Tube Screamer advertiser.

If you are interested, a trip to Bradford, Pa is worth it for both lighter collectors and pocket knife collectors, Zippo owns Case knives.

Attachments

• cave1.jpg
    cave1.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 18

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

I never smoked but I picked up a 1960s (Austrian copy of a) Zippo years ago. It was non-working and dirty where it had been tossed to the gravel at the side of the road back in the late 1970s. It was cool and I just thought it was a Zippo. It had the same 'tone' opening and closing the lid. You know that tone. That tactile feel and historic tone launched a lot of people into smoking.

About ten years ago I got into the zombie apocalypse prepping thing with buddies of mine (all a valuable skill in these uncertain times) and rummaged around for that old lighter. I had heard of the Zippo guarantee by then too. So when I found it the engravings on the bottom clearly showed it was not a Zippo so I couldn't send it off. I did get it working though and found the fluid evaporation problem. A wind-proof lighter is no good if it leaks all the fluid. I ordered a new real Zippo and found they leak the same too. I also tried the inner tube solution on both of them and while it helped some, the Austrian copy would even retain fluid a little longer than the Zippo, but it was still a problem for the use case I had need of.

So the go-bag has a couple of Bic lighters...

I still keep the Zippo and Austrian copy around with a separate bottle of fluid. They are like owning a Harley Davidson or ... a Telecaster ;)

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I have a few. One I have had a cool painted wolf on it -- that completely scratched off.

I have part of a Topper lighter -- similar to a Zippo, that has my grandfather's initials on it. I need to get online and find new guts for it. (sadly it is just a little different from a zippo in a few dimensions so I was unable to just put Zippo guts in it.)

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I was tired of never being able to find matches to light candles, bbq, etc....., so I bought an old fashioned refillable Zippo. The smell reminds me so much of my grandfather lighting up a pipe back in the day.

Who still uses/carries one?

View attachment 941725
I still have mine from High School, circa 1969-70. Still has an "X" scratched in the bottom to distinguish mine from my keyboard player's. Stopped using it around '75 or so, due to occasional leakage, went to Butane. Quit smoking in '81, so my Zippo got officially retired.

LutherBurger

Poster Extraordinaire
I bought mine in 1996, and I'm surprised I haven't lost it. It had a brushed-metal finish when it was new, but it's worn smooth. I had to send it in for a new hinge about ten years ago.

I also have my grandfather's Zippo, but I never use it.

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I have a couple. I got to take a ride on a destroyer class navy ship once, they had a little souvenir shop on board; the Zippo I got there turned out to be brass plated and it got all corroded and bogus-looking over the years. I have fond memories of being 9 or 10 years old, somehow my friends and I all had a Zippo. We would spend hours inventing new ways to flick them open and spark them. Also lighting matches on our shoes, thumbnails, zippers, etc. It's amazing we didn't burn the whole town down. What fun.