Zippo! Who still has one?

Stanford Guitar

Friend of Leo's
I was tired of never being able to find matches to light candles, bbq, etc....., so I bought an old fashioned refillable Zippo. The smell reminds me so much of my grandfather lighting up a pipe back in the day.

Who still uses/carries one?

49FEBC99-4A83-4886-96B3-C00BC8024AFE_1_105_c.jpeg

Stanford Guitar

Friend of Leo's
I still have mine with my unit crest, but no longer carry it. No matter what you do, they always leak a little.

It sits in a shadow box these days.

Vietnam era? My Dad is a Vietnam vet. I remember seeing a unit crest lighter of his around the house as a kid.

MyLittleEye

Tele-Meister
I have an early vintage style reproduction zippo I keep in my jeans watch pocket - it's v slightly shorter and squarer edged than the classic style. I don't smoke but my gas cooker's piezo is kaput so I use it for that and also to light the hurricane lanterns I often use in the garden - real flame has a much nicer ambience than LED's and cutting the paraffin with citronella oil in summer helps deter the bitey bugs. I enjoy the smell too, it evokes my grandparents back in 'analog times'.

I bought a 'soft flame' gas insert which functions identically to the fluid insert and overcomes the issue of the fuel evaporating over time, however I use my Zippo frequently enough that gas or fluid last about the same time for me.

Online you can find a rubber gasket that seals the base of the fluid insert. Some folks improvise a rubber seal around the lid using a ring of bicycle inner tube. This may help a zippo that's used infrequently but I've not found it to be necessary myself.

Previously I had a heavier brass Armour model zippo which I sadly mislaid. It's definitely worth investing a little more for the Armour model's solid tactile feel.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Have a few, bought & sold a bunch of vintage, used them to cook dope for years, no use for then now but they are cool and have history.
Not the honorable kind but for some years I was at war over that flame with my spoon & stuff.
I gave my wife one too and she still smokes but doesn't use the zippo.
I really like them.
You can figure the manufacture date by marks on the bottom.
My favorite was a pipe model with unplated brass case.
They're all a little different in feel.

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I got my dad's from when he was in Korea. I use it for shrinking insulation on wiring and stuff, but it's always dried out when I go to use it. Luckily I always have a can of fluid around because it has 1001 uses at the workbench.

Git with the times...

marthasnoop-bic-2021.jpg
My favorite part is that she looks more toasted than he does

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
I was tired of never being able to find matches to light candles, bbq, etc....., so I bought an old fashioned refillable Zippo. The smell reminds me so much of my grandfather lighting up a pipe back in the day.

Who still uses/carries one?

View attachment 941725

I own a copy of one.
I've never been a smoker but I needed a portable open flame that I don't have to keep alive by pressing
down a button one millimeter away from the flame itself. When I carried it I used it to defrost my bicycle lock
during winters because Finland.

B8Xa6mACAAAdmYx.jpg

Carrying/using that Zippo copy made me acutely aware of that old Zippo joke:
How do you recognize a Zippo user? He smells like gasoline and asks for a light. :lol:

Also someone who might be using a Zippo:

R-455161-1498408801-5952.jpeg.jpg