Zippers chew right index fingernail?!?!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DugT, Oct 17, 2019.

1. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

My right index finger nail has been getting chewed by something and now I think my pants zipper is the culprit. Is this a universal problem that everyone knows about except me? I haven't caught my zipper in the act yet but I can't think of any other cause. It only seems to wear the fingernail one the middle finger side of the nail. It is a gradual wear, never suddenly conspicuous, so it is hard to tell what is causing it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  2. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

C’mon, man. You don’t have to resort to such rash measures to interact on this forum.

Okay, okay, I’ll play along...sounds like a zipping frequency issue to me. How often is your index finger contacting your zipper in order to cause this “nail wear?”

*I have snagged and torn a nail edge in my pants zipper before...but rarely.

Wally and DugT like this.
  3. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

One of the new Gibson zippers eh?

~syf

Bassman8 and DugT like this.
  4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Exactly what are you doing with your zipper all hours of the day?

Wally, DugT and Shuster like this.
  5. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

1765494_1437684475_600x315.jpg

Boubou, Mexitele Blues and DugT like this.
  6. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's

Could be worse...

57fenderstrat and DugT like this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Zippity doo dah, zippity eh,
    my oh my, what a wonderful day
    Plenty of fingernail headin your way
    Zippity doo dah, zippity eh.

DugT likes this.
  8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Stretch waist yoga pants are in your future.

DugT likes this.
  9. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's

You need a...

Wally, Obsessed and DugT like this.
  10. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

Good question. Being older, I probably use my pants zipper more than average. I started playing electric guitar about two years ago after quitting classical guitar 25 years ago. I don't remember having this problem in the old days and back then I played enough classical guitar to be fairly obsessive about my fingernails so I probably would have noticed it back then.

This got me thinking and I just figured it out. When I use a flat pick, my index fingernail hits the string/strings before my pick hits them. I'm using a flat pick far more and never play classical anymore so I'm 90% certain that it is my flat picking technique. So, new question, Am I the only one whose index fingernail brushes the strings before the pick hits them? It doesn't seem to affect the tone.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  11. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

Happens to me sometimes if I “choke up” on a smaller pick. As my hands have aged I’ve started liking Fender heavies in the larger triangular shape. Not the equilateral triangle ones, but the wanted engine rotor-shaped ones. Easier to grip for me...although .88-1.0mm Tortex teardrop shapes picks still feel faster and more accurate when my hands are having one of their more limber days.

12. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

Shuster likes this.
  13. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

Unless you're a flaming metrosexual, I wouldn't worry about it. Most chicks I know wouldn't worry about it.

14. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

I am also afflicted with the index-fingernail issue on my picking hand. Mine, however, is even more dastardly, and as it wears down, it splits horizontally, and leaves a sharp edge, that not only catches on everything, but is some instances, pulls out from under the nail bed... and hurts like the dickens...

If I play for a long acoustic session, I can sometimes stave it off if I trim it just before I play. If I just pick up and give it a rip... It is going to split.

~syf

15. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

DugT, as I was reading your OP I was thinking two things.....one was that I would guess this wear has to do with playing the guitar, or two...this guy is definitely using a zipper a lot.
    I am glad you figured it out. As for the fingernail affecting what sound comes out of the guitar?? Yes, it does. It HAS to affect it because...well..because it is hitting the string.

DugT likes this.
  16. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

Of course, you are right that it affects the tone. I should have said that I can't hear the difference. The nail lightly brushes the strings about half the time. I can't hear the difference when it touches and when it doesn't. I think the sound created by the pick immediately drowns out the sound created by my fingernail.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.