Zinky & Zinky Supro Amp Owners' Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Stencil, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Toadhopper57

Toadhopper57 Tele-Meister

Blue/White Supro Tremolectric # 34 Signed

Hello All,

Here are the photos of the Tremolectric.

Cheers,

Randy

Attached Files:

• supro.jpg
      supro.jpg
      File size:
      31.1 KB
      Views:
    • ss.jpg
      ss.jpg
      File size:
      30.5 KB
      Views:
  2. blargfromspace

blargfromspace Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Randy, thats a unique amp. Hope you're liking it!

3. Toadhopper57

Hello Blarg,

Thanks. I am liking it. The tone is sweet and the Blue/White I am finding out is not the norm. so that makes it kind of interesting. The knobs and switches move freely without noise and popping etc. I like the 3 knob reverb as well. Plenty of room to tweak the tone on this amp.

Regards,

Randy

4. Stencil

Stencil Tele-Meister

I do like that Tremolectric in Blue & White!

I did a quick and dirty demo of a song yesterday for my band, using the 50 W DualTone (AKA Blue Velvet.)

The playing is horrid, but I'm posting the demo to give an idea of how versatile the amp can be.

Cheers,

5. Toadhopper57

Hello Stencil,

Nice video...yes, it is a versatile amp...

R

6. stratohiker

stratohiker Tele-Meister

Honeymoon period's done with my MoFo now........Still lovin' it.
    A band came in at the end of country gig I was playin' saturday nite.
    They played a set after we quit. Guitar player was a fine player who's played with some known country artists.
    So, finally, a chance to hear my rig from out front for a whole set.
    The MoFo definitely kicks some serious @$$.
    And several of their band members said so as well.
    Very happy with this amp.
    Bruce really hit it out of the park, imho, with this amp.

7. Toadhopper57

Cheers....

8. pappywatts

pappywatts NEW MEMBER!

Another Zinky owner

I stumbled across this club while trawling the fender amps page, have had several varieties of those and still got a couple left. Anyway managed to acquire a rare green velvet 18 watt 1x12 Zinky combo last year, one owner lightly used, I instantly liked the tone and ease of use of this little amp, but found that the UK mains hum generated by this amp was too much for recording, but OK for gigging.
    So... during the winter, corresponded with Bruce by email, he was very prompt in his replies and helpful but stated that this was the loudest single ended amp he had designed and a bit of hum was acceptable and suggested I looked at the power caps, which I'd already changed and upped their ratings....hmmmmm!:cry:
    Eventually had to take it to an amp tech, we devised a circuit diagram from what we could see, and came to the conclusion that an old school power choke had to be included in the power circuit, Danbury Transformers UK came up with a suitable one,and am pleased to say it did the trick, hum significantly reduced, and with the new power caps, more headroom..so it's louder and punchy now, and no loss of original tone.It's now near the top of my favorites and is good for small/medium sized gigs:D

9. stratohiker

stratohiker Tele-Meister

Wow.........that's alotta work for tone ;-)

10. pappywatts

pappywatts NEW MEMBER!

Yes it was.. but worth it.The work only amounted to around 70 bucks including the techs labour.For an amp which would cost twice what I paid for it new.
    I've had a few USA amps, Mesa Boogie, Fender, and most of them required tweaking to suit UK mains,better smoothing capacitors to filter out 60 cycle hum,indeed as seen on this forum,the fender amps do require the work, so I have followed Bill M's? tips on amp maintenance/mods/repair over the years.

and here it is:-
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  11. stratohiker

stratohiker Tele-Meister

I sent Bruce some questions yesterday about the preamp tube layout on the MoFo.
    He replied back confirming my guess on that.
    Also informed me that there is a revision that he has available for the MoFo preamp.
    I'm gonna call him about it tomorrow, and in all likelihood send my chassis in for the mods.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  12. stratohiker

stratohiker Tele-Meister

Welp........Just got the chassis back after the mods were done.
    Very promising.
    The new version has 4 preamp tubes now. The noise floor is noticeably lower.
    And, the amp seems punchier (if that's possible with this one ;-)
    More gain on tap for the dirt channel, if you want it.
    Gigs will tell more, I'm sure.

13. Stencil

Stencil Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the useful information above, including fighting mains hum and the MoFo revision.

Since I got the MoFo head, I've considered it the best stage amp I own, but unusable for recording or for the living room, due to the very noticeable mains hum.

I got around to ringing Bruce a few days ago and he told me about the revision, as well as a solution to the mains hum. Given the impracticality of shipping a head back and forth across the Atlantic, Bruce is sending me some parts as well as instructions and photos to install them, in order to solve the mains hum. Now that's customer service!

14. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Still loving the 25 watt Velvet combo and play it out at least a couple times a week. Doing the Worship thing this is the perfect rig for me as I can get over a loud drummer on one gig and fill a good size room unmiced then turn around and get stunning thick smooth and expressive overdrive tones at such low volumes it's unreal at the next gig.
    Owned this particular rig for a number of years now and it never ceases to amaze me!
    Live clips with the little beast.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  15. Stencil

Stencil Tele-Meister

Hold onto your Zinky's and Zinky Supro's

Hold onto your Zinky's and Zinky Supro's, guys, for they're now officially collector items.

Bruce has finally gone public with his sale of the Supro brand and with the fact that he is now working exclusively for the new owners.

What that means is that his existing product line-up disappears and that future products will not be handmade at Bruce's place in Flagstaff AZ anymore (though they will be manufactured in the USA.)

So if you've got a Zinky or a Zinky Supro amp, it's now clearly a collector's item.

You can read more here: www.suprousa.com

16. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

I got called in at the to sit in with some friends at a worship service a few days ago in a small church.
    Just Beth with a single acoustic me with the PRS custom 24 and my little Zinky unmiced + a little kid who came up and started banging round on the drums. As pure and basic a true totally unrehearsed spontaneous gig as I have ever done.
    I was only running a Boss DD-7 and a Wah at times but otherwise the tone is all my little Zinky with the WGS ET-90. This was recorded with my Sony SX750 just sitting on a chair in the front row center stage.
    This thing just flat knocks me out tone wise. What really floors me is that I can do this low volume gig with the sweet tones then roll up the gain and volume throw a cab under this thing and play screaming metal.
    I have owned and played just about anything you can name over the 45 or so years I have been playing and nothing else I have ever plugged into even comes CLOSE to doing what these do for me!!
    https://app.box.com/s/hcffmbpity6127puiafl

17. Creeker

Creeker NEW MEMBER!

Hi Stratohiker, I have a MOFO encore combo too and really dig it. I was curious about the mods...i will call Bruce about that Monday...glad to hear about the option..thanks!

18. stratohiker

stratohiker Tele-Meister

Well, the only fix that I don't think I mentioned was the channel switch pop, also gets addressed.
    Other than that, check what I said earlier.
    If you live in CONUS, I'd have these mods done period.....
    Only thing is, now that Bruce is doin' what he's doin' for the new owners of the Supro brand.......not sure how quick he could get yours done.
    Definitely ring him up though, and check into it.

19. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Played a regional worship conference over the weekend with the 25 watt Blue Velvet and my PRS Custom 24. Only effects used here are a Boss DD3 delay and a George Dennis Wah.

20. oakridge

oakridge NEW MEMBER!

Hello there
    resurrecting an old thread but I am a proud owner of a Supro Belmont here in Australia
    A friend of mine here had a MOFO and Sahara combo-sounds awesome
    I could see the writing on the wall when Bruce had onsold Supro brand to pigtronix
    I reckon I got the last old (new) Supro in Australia
    Had looked into exporting a blue velvet to Australia and then use a step down transformer--shipping was going to be $800 US!!!
    So got me the belmont
    Belmont wasnt exactly what I was looking for but I love it
    Single clean channel with volume treb mid bass and reverb
    Its got that dynamic clean zinky sparkle and pedals do OD for me fine
    Theres not many over here in Australia and I feel very lucky to have one
    Ive never heard anything quite like a Zinky (Fender pro junior--another bruce special--comes close)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.