Zinky & Zinky Supro Amp Owners' Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Stencil, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Stencil

Stencil Tele-Meister

This Club is for owners of Zinky amplifiers and Supro amplifiers manufactured by Zinky (as opposed to the 50s and 60s originals.)

It's taken me many years to see the light, but I have seen the future of rock 'n roll amplification and his name is Bruce Zinky. ;-)

I first came across the Zinky Supro website a couple of years ago, when I was idly researching whether or not Supro's as used by a certain James Patrick Page were still manufactured. The Suprousa website was and still is hokey -- "we're an analog company, give us a break" -- so at the time I quickly moved on to more entertaining amp sites like Marshall's or Orange's.

A couple of months ago, I came across the European distributor of Supro's. By then I'd figured out who Bruce Zinky was and that he was now the custodian of the Supro brand. So I asked the distributor why Zinky didn't cash in on the Page connection and build something like the old Supro Dual Tone 1624. He said, "well, I think Bruce has something like that."

This past weekend, the Supro Dual Tone arrived, 50 Watts and more than 50 pounds of 6L6 goodness.

I think it's a keeper.
    [​IMG]
    It may not be the True Cross, but it certainly sounds good.

2. Stencil

Stencil Tele-Meister

With all my gushing about getting to the Supro, I neglected to say much about the amp.

The 50 Watt version has 6L6s in the power stage, there's an incredibly deep reverb. The clean channel is very clean and Fenderish, whereas the overdrive channel provides very nasty gain.

In case there are any Zinky Blue Velvet owners out there, yes, the Dual Tone is basically a BV in Supro clothing. The only difference is that the effects loop is a free upgrade on the Dual Tone, whereas it's standard on the Blue Velvet.

3. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

I use a black blue velvet as my main gigging amp and I think it's the bomb. I have always wanted a Vibro King, but most of my gigs are for under 300 people and involve a loading dock. I feel like the Blue Velvet is as close as I can get in a 1x12 combo. It takes pedals really well and sounds really good at all volumes.

4. SiennaBurst50

SiennaBurst50 TDPRI Member

Own a halfstack Supro Sahara 25 watt.....killer little clean rig. Takes pedals like nobody's business.

5. blargfromspace

blargfromspace Tele-Afflicted

I have the 25w Dual Tone, which is a rebadged Blue Velvet. Talk about a killer amp. Probably the bet sounding thing I've ever heard. I love everything about it - the utterly simple controls (only 7 knobs on a twin channel amp with reverb!), the reverb, the volume, the versatility, the speaker. Although only 25w, it sounds very big on stage and keeps up easily with a Bassman.

[​IMG]

I spend most of my time on the clean channel. With gain low and channel volume high you get shimmering blackface clean. Turn the gain up and switch the mid boost on and you get a grimey tweed deluxe.

A word on the gain channel - There is a LOT of gain on tap there and at first impression it may well seem nasty. Turn the dirty channel volume right up and the gain right down. Turn the gain up and adjust volume down (only if the loudness is inappropriate, which it will be...) until you get your sound. This works well on the 25w Dual Tone.

My dream amp is the 3x10 Tremolectric. I can only begin to imagine how enormous that thing would sound on stage!

6. Stencil

Stencil Tele-Meister

Thanks for the tips, BFOS,

I should mention that your original NAD post on the Dual Tone played a major role in my deciding to acquire one, as well the one magazine review I could find, in Australian Musician. Further proof that Oz is a pretty hip place.

Cheers,

7. blargfromspace

Glad to have helped you out :D. I just hope that you enjoy yours as much as I am mine. It's been 6 months since I got mine and I'm no less thrilled now than I was the day I bought it.

I hadn't seen that review before and I'd agree with everything written. It's not often I could say that!

8. stratohiker

stratohiker Tele-Meister

Guess I'll Join

Just got in a MoFo Combo (1 12).
    Haven't had a lot of time to work with it yet.
    Got some gigs comin' up that will test it's mettle.
    It looks cosmetically, the same as the Duo-Tone in this thread.
    Functionally, it's different of course.
    After goin' down some boutique roads, (I won't bore everyone with all of them), and the head/cab road....I decided to search out a more grab'n'go formatted amp...But, still different from the "usuals" out there.
    This may be it.....The honeymoon will need to end first, and some gigs go by, to be sure.

9. Stencil

Stencil Tele-Meister

Congrats on making your last (non-Zinky) amp purchase :)
    and thanks for resurrecting this thread.

I can safely say that my 50 Watt Dual Tone is a keeper, despite having blown a speaker (Bruce despatched me a replacement post-haste.)

I just acquired a Supro MoFo head, with the free effects loop option. Bruce advised me that the loop would cost a little gain, but given that I don't play metal, that was a small penalty to pay, and in fact there is still masses of gain on tap. (It's a MoFo, after all.)

I've only used the MoFo head at practice, so far, but I'm loving it. Clean headroom a mile high, that can be boosted via the footswitch, and all the crunch/overdrive/super distorted sounds one could want, also footswitchable.

It's a heavy head (Bruce doesn't skimp on magnetics) but it's compact. Smaller than my Orange Thunder 30, and barely half the size of my Marshall Vintage Modern 50. I may have a slight preference for the Vintage Modern's crunch and overdriven tones, but that's a single channel amp, and nowhere nearly as convenient to play (and to carry) as the Supro MoFo.

Cheers,

10. Stencil

Stencil Tele-Meister

Hey Stratohiker,

I just noticed that you joined TDPRI the same month I did -- July 2003 -- and have made a similarly modest number of posts.

Playing can be more satisfying than talking about it ; besides, my limited playing skills need all the practice time I can squeeze in ;-)

Cheers,

PS: The Dual Tone gets some stage use here, in the two videos near the top from the "Terrasse Theatre" http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/artist_videos/1186778

11. blargfromspace

Nice one. I've played through one of them, and IMO the dirty channel is even better than the Dual Tone (I ended up selling mine and yes, I regret it). Did you get the matching 212 cab? Like the head its as compact as it possibly could be. I'm still waiting on the money for one to fall from the sky :D

12. Stencil

Stencil Tele-Meister

Actually, I already have way too many cabs taking up space (and reminding me of sunken funds....)

I prefer a mini-stack made up of 1 X 12s to a 2 X 12. I've been using the Dual Tone combo stacked on top of a 1 X 12 V30 cabinet.

With the MoFo head, the plan is to use it on top of a 1 X 12 V30 cabinet, and a Marshall 6912, loaded with a G12 Gold (that I picked up for a song from someone who didn't know what they had.)

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

13. blargfromspace

14. Stencil

Stencil Tele-Meister

Still exploring the Supro Mofo head, and figuring out its dynamics and what cab sounds best with it.

At this stage I've changed the V1 and V2 tubes for more mellow sounding ones from JJ and TAD (Bruce tends to favour EHX tubes that I find a bit ice-picky.) Just for the hell of it, I've put in a pair of TungSol KT66s that I had laying around in place of Bruce's standard Sovtek 6L6s.

Given that it's being used currently in a small rehearsal space, I haven't tested it yet with a 4X12, but for the time being have it sitting on top of a Marshall 6912 (single 12" Celestion Gold.)

I guess the one thing I'm having trouble mastering is the amount of power and gain on tap. I definitely want some power and gain, but the volume control is a bit of a hair trigger, and goes from quiet to decapitating volume very quickly.

Overall, I do like this amp but figure that it will take the same amount of taming that my Marshall Vintage Modern took.

Cheers,

15. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Just joined the forum after finding the Zinky and Supro club on an on line search.
    BIG Bruce Zinky fan here.
    I had owned a number of Fender Prosonics for years including the one off 100 watt head with Reverb that Bruce had given Brad Whitford in Aerosmith.
    Here is that beast.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I now own a Zinky Blue velvet 25 watt combo and all of the Prosonics have been sold off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm a working Worship player who gigs 3 to 5 days a week and the Velvet is my perfect rig for these gigs.
    Here are a couple live clips with the Velvet.

16. Stencil

Stencil Tele-Meister

I love your pictures, Ascension. I'll have to get around to taking some of my modest Zinky Supro collection (1 combo, 1 head.)

I think I've finally got my MoFo head under control, in particular the high gain channel, which was a little ice-picky.

For what it's worth, I ended up using more or less the same recipe as for my DualTone. I realise they're not at all the same design, but I was replacing the same tubes (Sovtek 6L6s and EH 12AX7s.) I've achieved my own personal sonic nirvana with:
    - TAD High Grade Selected 12AX7 in V1
    - JJ ECC83S in V2 and V3
    - TAD 6L6GC-STR (RCA-style) for power
    - A TubeTown 2X12 loaded with a Celestion V30 and an Eminence G12

Of course, YMWV.

Cheers,

17. Toadhopper57

Toadhopper57 Tele-Meister

Hello All,

I'm trading in my Dr. Z EZG 50 for a signed blue and white Supro Tremolectric 3X10. It sounds much better than the Dr. Z (IMO) and is more versatile with the drive channel, 3 knob reverb and tube tremolo. It has the effects loop and variable output transformer. I am really happy with the tone and will run it with a BF Super Reverb and a Blankenship Fat Boy Supreme with Sour Cream.

Cheers,

Randy

18. blargfromspace

Pictures please! I haven't seen a blue and white one

19. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

Count me in. my black Zinky 25 watt combo (the blue velvet, although it's neither) is my main working amp. To my ears it really is a smaller version of a Vibro King.

20. Toadhopper57

Toadhopper57 Tele-Meister

Hello,

Ok, I will work on the photos.

Cheers,

Randy

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.