1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Zhangbucker vs Harmonic Design

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by scotmus, May 3, 2018.

1. scotmus

scotmus NEW MEMBER!

Hi folks. I'm in the process of building my dream Tele and as usual am getting bogged down in pickup hell. I want a really "big" sounding bridge pickup but still want it to sound like a Tele. I've narrowed it down to a Zhangbucker Paul Bunyan or a Harmonic Design Vintage Plus. I've watched the videos etc but still can't make up my mind. Does anyone have experience of both? I'd be very grateful for your opinion. Cheers.

2. LtKojak

LtKojak Tele-Meister

I haven't tried the Harmonic Design, mind you; however, I find difficult to believe that you'll find anything "better" than the Paul Bunyan set, not only tone- but also price-wise. It delivers the tone you want just as you describe it to a T. Plus, David (aka Mr. Zhangbucker) is a darling to deal with.

Highly recommended!

BB and kookaburra like this.
  3. Sugarfoot Rag

Sugarfoot Rag TDPRI Member

Harmonic Design Pickup fan for over 10+ years. The Vintage Plus set in a Tele are very versatile, they add the "beef" you need.

4. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

I am in full agreement with LtKojac above!

I use Zhang's Bell Tones and Tar Papers, they are fantastic!

5. scotmus

scotmus NEW MEMBER!

Thanks guys. A difficult choice as I'm sure they're both great but I think I'm going to go for the Zhangbucker. I think I could probably talk to him and get what I'm after.

kookaburra and zippofan like this.
  6. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

You can't go wrong 2with either choice. Both are exceptional (in my book) pickups. That said, I'm partial to Zhang. Not only is Dave a darling to deal with, (as Lt. Kojak sez) the Paul Bunyan is simply KILLER!

So many tones available with a twist of the tone knob. From classic spank and twang, to P90ish girth. From sweet to corpulent and everything in between. Of course, the same holds true with HD's V+.

For my needs and gear, the PB was a better fit. I loaned my last PB to a buddy around 5 years ago as he wanted to try it in an Esquire. After two years, I told him to keep it! He is still digging it. Good luck with your choice! Whatever way you go, you're going to be a happy man.

kookaburra likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.