Zen Electric Convertible - First 5E3 Build Complete.

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by GoldDeluxe5E3, Oct 26, 2015.

1. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Afflicted

A 5E3 with two speakers, a 10 and a 12 with a closed cabinet that can easily open and function as a speaker stand.

Video 1:

Video 2: (Sound Samples)

Thanks to all the Amp Tech members who helped me complete my first amp. (Jeru, Cap47, Clintj, jguitarman, mRtINY,and Ricky D.)

-Pete.

2. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

That's excellent, Pete..! Great finish job on the cabinet, it's really something different -- very refreshing.

So.. What's next? :D

3. GoldDeluxe5E3

THANKS, J!

Due to your advice, I got schooled on the Rob Robinette site, and added his lead channel mod and the diodes to protect the rectifier tube.

Next, I'm starting to think about attempting a DR chassis ad circuit transplanting the inferior brain in an old Fender Ultra Chorus I have. May opt for Uncle Doug's new Supro build instead. I'm after reverb and trem. Any suggestions?

Also, Jeru, I've been wanting to ask somebody with insight this question about this new amp. When I plug both 8 ohm speakers into both 8 ohm jacks on this 5E3, the tone becomes more mid and high and less bass. It sounds reminiscent of a Champ. I'm good with all that, in fact I find the alternative tone very useful. However, is there any problem electronically that you can see with running both speakers at once?

As always, thanks for the help and support, brother.

-Pete.

4. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

I am nowhere near the most learned here, but I'll take a crack at this one (at the risk of public humiliation)

A (standard) 5E3 has the speaker output jacks wired in parallel. Plugging in two 8ohm speakers in parallel,
    your output transformer sees 4 ohms when it wants to see 8 ohms = not good.

See speaker wiring/impedance diagrams HERE.

Also, uncle Doug explains this well in his video "Output Transformers: A Discussion of Basic Principles"

I don't know what OT Bruce/Mission supplied. If the OT has both 4 and 8 ohm output taps, then you can
    put a jack on the 4 ohm tap and then wire your 8 ohm speakers (in parallel) into one plug and into the 4 ohm jack.
    If your OT does not have a 4 ohm tap, then you could get two 16 ohm speakers and plug one into each of the 8 ohm jacks.

EDIT: Got curious, started reading around again. Others seem to say that in this context, the OT mismatch is okay.
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/shock-brothers-diy-amps/315721-5e3-speaker-outputs.html
    I'd still go back and watch that U.D. Vid again..

(Where'n the hell are Wally, Telenut and Muchxs..?)

5. GoldDeluxe5E3

J,

I just read the thread. (I've quickly learned to absorb everything you advise me to read) It's encouraging. I'd like to keep the particular tone the amp produces with both speakers plugged in individually. Seems like they combine to produce a 4 ohm load through the parallel-wired jacks and that the 5E3's OT is designed to tolerate it. Seems to make sense. I'm off to review the Uncle Doug video you reminded me of. I'll also drop a line to the kit's designer, Tube Depot, and get their "official" word on the matter. I'll play that back to when I hear their answer.

A pleasure, as always.

-P.

6. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

I'm SO happy to be able to be of help. Remember though, I don't know stuff --
    I'm just cobbling it together here myself to try to learn for my own builds and
    get it how I want it without blowing things up. I know where to point you for
    answers only because I've had the exact same questions/problems and
    needed to search for people and places who explain it in ways that my
    monkey brain can understand.

As you can see, the search function is your friend. Even better, actually, is
    searching 'tdpri' and multiple search terms/phrases on Google. While the
    search functionality of the TDPRI site doesn't work great with multiple terms,
    google will point you to specifig threads where the knowledgeable folks up
    here have discussed the issue du jour.

For example -- https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=tdpri+5E3+speaker+output

Cheers.

JR

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.