1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Zemaitis Guitars?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by fenderbender4, Mar 30, 2014.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 TDPRI Member

Okay, so not a Tele but really been curious about the zemaitis metal top guitars (the full metal ones). I was wondering if anyone has tried building something similar? I've always like the "contorted tele" shaped guitar.

Has anyone played an actual AC "Tony" Zemaitis Guitar? How thick are the aluminum tops? I know they usually had 3 piece bodies and 3 piece laminate necks.

Steveinthesticks likes this.
  2. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

I played a Les Paul style a while back. It was a nice enough guitar but nothing mind blowing in terms of the sound. You're paying for the looks of the thing. For that kind of scratch you can get a Kirn, Creston, or Hahn and a much better sounding and playing guitar.

3. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

4. fenderbender4

Was this a Tony Zemaitis or a Greco repro? I have heard/read mixed things about the effect the metal top has. Some say it imparts a unique tone, others say it doesn't do anything for the sound accept for shielding. I know the bridges/tailpieces/studs/screws were different than the Gibson variety and unsure as to how much (if any) the unique tone is due to that instead of the top.

Thanks again for the info, and any other tidbits. Rare birds.

5. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

6. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

here is something I put together about eighteen months ago. I don't know if the engraved plate has any impact upon the tone of the guitar, there are too many variables as it is the only P90, or Thinline, or Mahogany neck Telecaster I have. What I do know is that it sounds good to me, I enjoy playing it, and it gets no end of comments.

Attached Files:

7. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

I don't know if you can say OMFG on here, but still...
    That is stunning! Were/are you Purdey or Holland and Holland? Maybe Boxall's?;)

8. fenderbender4

Yeah, geez that's nice. As to the Maverick Music guitar, wow, cool but I think that's the most expensive price I've ever seen for a guitar (usually stuff like that is a "enquire" for pricing).

I've heard the "unique" tone of the zemaitis guitars comes from the bridge, tailpiece, and screws. It differs from the standard stuff out there and is unique from what I know. Both pieces were mounted into deep, brass, threaded inserts. But the metal tops are definitely eye catching.

9. bettyseldest

By put together I mean assembled, the engraving was not my handiwork. I bought the body complete with the engraved top on eBay from seller guitarengraver, real name Phil Cooper. Phil has a website http://www.engravedguitars.com/, where you will see some very special guitars that make mine look like nothing special. Check it out.

10. bettyseldest

11. gigman

gigman TDPRI Member

Zemaitis info

On how the bridges on mounted. Usually they are just screwed into the wood via threads in the wood. No brass. Both of mine are set that way. I must admit though I can't tell you why they sound to good they just do.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.