1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Zebrawood Neck Through Bass Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by bonetrager, Oct 1, 2015.

1. bonetrager

bonetrager Tele-Meister

Here is picture of the neck being glued up. I went with the 5 piece.

Attached Files:

2. bonetrager

bonetrager Tele-Meister

A mockup of the body with the neck through showing.

Attached Files:

3. bonetrager

bonetrager Tele-Meister

A mockup of the body with the zebrawood completely covering the top.

Attached Files:

4. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Double Platinum Supporter

My vote goes to this one !!

5. bonetrager

bonetrager Tele-Meister

The back mockup. I am also leaning toward having the neck show through since I like the bigger body. Of course, it could change. I also might go to my zebrawood supplier and see if I can find a bigger piece.

Attached Files:

6. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Yep, me too!

...and sorry to hijack the thread, ;) but as long as we're piling on with our own zebra pics, here's a sneak preview of my zebra La Cab that is getting its first clear coats today.
    [​IMG]

I'm sure you're going to do a great job on that bass and it'll look good no matter how you configure the top. But your top reminds me of mine with the curves to the grain and I hope you use that "option 2" approach.

Rex

7. bonetrager

bonetrager Tele-Meister

What a gorgeous top. I think I am now leaning more towards the full zebra wood top. Now to focus on the body a little bit. I am thinking this for the body. The strip of maple will act as a natural binding while the cherry, once it darkens, will contrast nicely with the neck on the back of the bass.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  8. bonetrager

bonetrager Tele-Meister

So a quick question. I am in the process of laying out the profile of my through neck and was wondering if there is an angle to the neck like there are on Les Pauls. Or is straight like a tele? Anyways, here is a quick picture of the neck blank planed. I should have enough to create a tele style neck as well for another project if I ever decide to build a third instrument.

Attached Files:

9. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

It depends on your hardware and how high the fretboard an frets are sticking out from the top of the guitar. You probably want to calculate first or do a drawing or do a mockup by placing the hardware on the neck. Also check out Darrin's threads. He is doing a neck through PRS type and gives it an angle.

Also my vote (since we have started voting ) goes to the all zebra neck top. And good choice on the neck of making it 5 piece with the thin accent stripes.

10. bonetrager

bonetrager Tele-Meister

Here is the final mockup shape of the zebra wood. I added some Danish oil on it to give myself an idea of how the final top will look. Time to order some parts before I progress any more. With my first build, I ordered the parts after the build, which wasn't the smartest idea and then I had to improvise. This time I want everything here ahead of time to be able to lay stuff out and plan ahead.

Attached Files:

11. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Friend of Leo's

Not true at all, I have a 28.6 inch scale 5 string that works fine.

12. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

What string gauge are you using? One reason multi scale basses are getting so popular is the longer bass scale allows a string of set gauge to have more tension at pitch and therefore feel less floppy. Everyone has different preferences on how floppy they like them to be.

13. bonetrager

bonetrager Tele-Meister

Not a big fan of floppy. I prefer them nice and firm.

14. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Friend of Leo's

As low as 115 as high as 140. I like the increased fundamental of the smaller strings and play with a light touch. Higher tension increases overtones, less tension has more fundamental. Long scale will definitely increase tension if that's how you like it.

15. bonetrager

bonetrager Tele-Meister

Got my fretboard in the mail. Pre slotted so I don't have to deal with intonation. Love the wood grain of the wenge. I think it compliments the zebrawood.

Attached Files:

16. James Jamison

James Jamison TDPRI Member

Trex, what finish are you using on that? Sure looks nice.

17. bonetrager

bonetrager Tele-Meister

Probably going to use just some oil on the fretboard, but haven't decided on the body/neck yet. Something very glossy that will bring out the grains and make it shine. I have experience with Shellack, so I might go that route.

18. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

I just did a varnish and wax finish and really liked it. Not high gloss, but sure did justice to the wood. A beautiful low gloss sheen and it feels great, I recommend trying one.

[​IMG]

19. bonetrager

bonetrager Tele-Meister

This bass is kind of at a standstill as my bandsaw took a crap and am trying to figure out how to either fix it, or finally upgrade. Don't want to mess with the neck until I get a bandsaw. On a positive note, I did get the electronics in. Here is a rundown. It is not set in stone, and I might end up either leaving the PB pickups out, or getting a different pickup for the neck. Not sure yet.

Pre-amp: Bartolini 4.7AP

Neck Pickup: Seymour Duncan SPB-3 (not dead set on those, but got a killer deal on them)

Bridge PU: Delano MC4 FE/J-M2

Bridge: Hipshot AStyle Brass

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.