1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Zebra wood build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by soonerdude, Sep 27, 2014.

1. soonerdude

soonerdude Tele-Meister

I just couldn't wait to completely finish the last build before I start a new one. I had this slab of zebra wood sitting around, but solid zebra is just way too heavy. I have no way to resaw a blank like this, so I did the only thing I could think of. Started off cutting the blank into 2" wide strips...placed tape across front and back to keep the grain lined up as best I could. Jointed up the cut sides and reset the table saw to cut a section off the top by 5/8". Re-glued each piece accordingly. Once it's dry I'll run it through the planer to true up those surfaces. Right now it is exactly 1-3/4 thick (total). After planing, it should just a little proud of 1-1/2". The two sections weigh in at 14 lbs 2 oz. Still to heavy, but now I will be able to start carving out the body (semi-hollow?) and drop some serious poundage. Haven't quite decided on body style, but going so thin, it may be something SG like.

image-657141706.jpg

image-1074653650.jpg

2. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

Cool! I was eyeing some zebra wood at Windsor the other day.

3. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Wow 14lbs. I understand why you want to empty the beast! Should be a nice looking guitar!

4. lbridenstine

lbridenstine Friend of Leo's

That looks great!

5. soonerdude

soonerdude Tele-Meister

I think I'll have to hog out material from both top and bottom, but hopefully I can get it down under 6 lbs. don't want to induce neck and shoulder pain on anyone.

6. soonerdude

soonerdude Tele-Meister

Thanks Lisa. I've been envious of the exotic and figured woods you've been using.

7. lbridenstine

lbridenstine Friend of Leo's

Thank you. I'm trying hard not to screw them up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.