1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Zatar's FORMER Build Challenge Thread

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Zatar, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Olav

Olav Tele-Afflicted

First calm down, 2mm is nothing. I suggest you screw the pocket template back on, just move it back to where it just shows the mistake. Go easy on the router, think what direction it wants you to move it and route a slightly longer pocket. Again; 2mm is NOTHING. Nothing you can't fix.
    You'll 'have to' move everything else (pups and bridge) back a couple mms too. If you can't because the pup cavities have been routed and bridge has been drilled, check how much travel the bridge saddles allow. I don't think this is a huge problem. You'll make it work. Just take it easy and sleep on it.

2. Zatar

Zatar Tele-Meister

Okay thanks for tips! I'll be sure to use them wisely! (It was my big mistake not to use an actual template but some straight MDF scraps I had laying around (against sides of neck)... )

/edit: also had a second mistake... chunk of wood flew of neck heel when routing its shape. Oh well, gupa will ease the pain on that, it'll be invisible anyway

3. oigun

oigun Tele-Afflicted

This will happen sooner or later. (leermomentje) I think Maricopa's and Olav's advices will solve the mistake. You don't have routed/drilled bridge and pupcavities? Then you are fine no problems. Gupa will not stay put... so don't use that stuff. only for pin size holes.
    Cheer up and take a fresh look tomorrow!

4. Zatar

Zatar Tele-Meister

This thread is not dead!!!

Alright now that I've got your attention... Since the challenge was over and I had a busy period there was no need to rush this project. So here's where I'm at:
    Neck almost done (finish nut + headstock transition), body needs to be bound, bridge mounted and cavities routed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I might do a cream back and flamed red top with black binding, dunnno... Might get white binding and do a black back and purple top...

Also got a slight mistake when my drill-press-mounted router bit came down with the drill press drill holder (chuck?) ...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Made an invisible fix ^^

5. macaroonie

macaroonie Friend of Leo's

I feel your pain :cry:

6. oigun

oigun Tele-Afflicted

Bummer on the FB.... next time no routerbits in a drill press. It is going to slow for a clean cut.

7. Zatar

Zatar Tele-Meister

Yeah but that had a reason... I glued on the FB before getting the headstock thicknessed. When I finally got to it, my router bit (in the router) couldn't get that deep anymore. So lesson learned: headstock thickness jig = to use before gluing on the FB.

Besides the bit in a drill press works OK, only don't take off more than 0.5mm at once or say byebye to the fingers :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.