Zappa

421JAM

Tele-Afflicted
Ehhhh. I never get tired of, say, Norm MacDonald's humor, or of Mark Twain's, or of Doug Stanhope's, or of the humor of many others. Zappa's stuff just wasn't funny: it was predictable middle-school BS. Middle school BS, of course, does age. It's for middle schoolers, after all, most of whom grow up. Zappa frittered away what could have been a fascinating career with childish horse----t. Too bad, I suppose.

I would agree with this, to a large degree. But it ignores that his instrumental output is more extensive than most bands entire discographies, so it’s not fair or accurate to say he frittered away a fascinating career because some of his lyrics are dumb jokes. You could ignore everything he ever did with vocals (and by no means are all of his vocals bad jokes…some of his lyrics are quite thought provoking or even heartfelt) and there’s still a large quantity of music to explore.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I would agree with this, to a large degree. But it ignores that his instrumental output is more extensive than most bands entire discographies, so it’s not fair or accurate to say he frittered away a fascinating career because some of his lyrics are dumb jokes. You could ignore everything he ever did with vocals (and by no means are all of his vocals bad jokes…some of his lyrics are quite thought provoking or even heartfelt) and there’s still a large quantity of music to explore.

I agree. I never went to his shows for the humor or stage acts.

bcorig

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
I wondered why we didn’t get more of this

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
We loved Frank's "humor"... he wasn't having a go at me, an aussie,... he was having a go at you guys in the US....:lol:

while we often didn't really understand the jokes/comments.... they HAD to be funny....

no one else was game to do it... take the piss... they were too worried about their image and getting fluffy songs on the radio....:rolleyes:

Frank was doing what musicians should be doing in R&R....:p:D

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
The solo in Zombie Woof is one of my favourites. The guitar throughout is just crazy.

I wrote a column for the college paper for 3 years under the pen name Zombie Woof. Much the same attitude Zappa had toward societal norms, only applied to student life on a midwestern private Methodist college campus. Kept the entire j-school in stitches!

While McCartney was topping the charts with "Silly Love Songs," Zappa was turning out "Broken Hearts Are for A$$holes." :lol:

kookaburra

Friend of Leo's
I wish I liked Zappa but I just don't.

I've tried and I'll give it another go at some point. The quality of the musicians is undeniable and the instrumentals are fabulous. But I find the jokes mainly stupid and then just repetitively annoying and then just boring.

I want to like Zappa, everyone raves about Joe's Garage but I was put off after 2 songs. I've listened to other albums too.

If I could buy it without the vocals I would.

I know I'm on a lonely path here :cry:

Hey, you can't like everything! Cheers!

Addnine

Tele-Holic

I do admire what he has done. I regret that he did not get serious and do more. He sold himself short, like a guy who laughs all time out of nervousness because he's afraid to held to the standards which apply when one is taken seriously.

Tarkus60

Tele-Holic
I think the Zappa music is different....just like Grateful Dead's music is different.
You are not forced to listen to it.......
But I like his music and he was weird.

ElJay370

Tele-Afflicted
Zoot Allures, Overnite Sensation, and One Size Fits All in current rotation.

I’m familiar with his entire catalog, yet I continue to find new things in his music.

Jerry J

Friend of Leo's
Billy was a mountain .

Ha-ha-ha. I was listening to Deep Cuts the other day on XM and this song came up. I LOVE FZ, but that one is a little tough to listen through the entire way. Especially with Mrs. J sitting next to me