1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

YT demos of guitars sounds out of tune almost always - is it just me?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by MatsEriksson, Oct 1, 2020.

1. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

This is a thing that has dawned on me slowly, as one got into corona-quarantine and has had too much spare time left on my hand, browsing through numerous things on YouTube, gearhead, and a lot of things that I've missed in terms of industry news, new guitars, new gear, as one was occupied with day jobs...

Is it only me, but whenever I see someone demo anything on YouTube, and it's not only amatuers, and especially electric guitars, with hard tail, they demo things and whenever they play a regular chord within the first 5 fret (there's no money above...yada yada..) it is always sounds out of tune if ever so slightly. It's almost 9 out of 10. Even some professionals. Except the old school guys. Whenever they play crunching solos, and riff distorted they don't play chords at all, and its harder to tell. It's when they initially try some pedal out, and they start off with "dry" sound an a regular open G chord, or E, or D I sense an un-intonated thing, or downright out of tune. Of course, super professionals like Pete Thorn doesn't fall into this trap as he hears if or when he goes out of tune, but almost all the rest. From pros to duds. Even when they play posh high end boutique guitars with pristine timbre and yada yada...

Or is it just me? :confused:

at around 03:00 when he demonstrates clean sound with chords...

Maybe thin strings, he doesn't notice it, or just don't give a ****. But yet he plays clearly and cleanly to display the bell like timbre...

At 06:45... it even has a locking nut FR system which is said to keep even the pesky Les Pauls in tune.

I could YT-drop all day with a dozen more videos, with pristine guitars, and high end boutique guitars, trem systems, or hardtails, and they hype this and that tone, and sustain, and quality of their guitars to no end, but yet can't hear when THEY go out of tune.

Someone else discovered this, or you have just given up? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  2. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Guitars are never in tune. End of story

3. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My experience is that microphones pick up lots of stuff that the human ear glosses over. Could be why you hear every last tiny variation from "normal". I'm not offering this as an explanation, but it likely factors in to some degree.

Greggorios and pixeljammer like this.
  4. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

But others videos I don't hear this in, other videos with the same type of guitar there may be rare occassion where it is in tune, and as such it is not the guitar that is the culprit, it's the hearing of the executor. Period. Once in every 200 comments below, there's a snyde remark that "hey, get in tune first" but no likes and no extra passive aggresive comments to that one.

Could it be the Seth Lover statement that still plays games with us?

I remember an interview (from 1978) between Seymour Duncan and legendary humbucker pickup inventor Seth Lover, where Seth said the following that he remembered the most, back in the day, when guitarist came to try out new pickups and did verdict on them, it should be left as a sticky on any guitar forum really:

"I sometimes wonder if unconsciously if guys who are playing and bending their notes aren’t trying to get the string into tune that don’t have it quite in tune. Unconsciously I think their ears ought to slide a little bit higher in pitch. I’ve hear musicians talking about things that are just bothering the hell out of them – complaining and so forth – and I’d listen and listen and I couldn’t hear. At the same time I could hear things in there that were bothering the hell out of me and they’d pay no attention to them.

I hear something they don’t and they hear something I don’t.

What are you going to do
    ?"

https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/latest-updates/seymour-w-duncans-interview-with-seth-lover

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  5. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

That's the problem with factory tuned guitars :lol:

but yeah, some YT videos make my toe nails curl

MatsEriksson likes this.
  6. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

Hey, they're not even playing Telecasters with three part bridges which never intonates to a tee. These have individual saddles, maybe even locking tuners (The Steve Morse EB has). Do they press too hard? Not even magnetic string pull from to close set single coils.

Question: do you all hear it too, on these videos I've provided, or you just guessing out of the blue?

7. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

My first whim, or glimpse of this was a year back, at a local jam stage, when they had this open stage, evening once a week. Some solo singer/songwriters where there to test their wings and it's always been popular. I go there from time to time to check out new talents, but not participating in any way.

So this evening came up a special character with a posh Martin on his hands. I didn't know this, when he started his songs on stage, but it was in tune at first, he used a clip on tuner. He went out of tune - and not slight - during the first number, but didn't do any touch up in between his 2nd and 3rd number. After it, I overheard him talking to his friends, and talk shop about his past 3 grand Martin guitar (Authentic something) and how the guitar "sang" and "bloomed" and came up with whatever superlatives for it, he could find. Elaborating, and dwelled on it. Like worshipped.

And I giggled inside my mind and thought "Yet, he couldn't hear if he was in tune or not...". I didn't say it to him though, I am not the one being "that guy" and wants to sour his gig. But I thought of it later on. That I very well am confident in disregarding what anyone says about a guitars treats, and traits, if they don't even can tune a guitar, or even hear that that (or any) guitar is the slightest out of tune.

8. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

This.

Over the many years, I've developed (almost ) perfect pitch.

Even with a great tuner, I can hear that my guitars are never really in tune.

Gets worse as soon as you press strings down against the frets.

Drives me nuts.

But, I play on...

Ironwolf and Bartholomew3 like this.
  9. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

I use to - still - pull this prank on younger people whenever they encounter my headless instruments, one bass, and one guitar. The rest is all headstocked. But with bass, whenever the younger people are seeing these for the first time in their lifes, they inevitably asks, the first question (they, strangely enough knows that one has to tune it somewhere)

- but how do you tune these things?

I first say to them that each time, it isn't needed because it's factory tuned, and done at the factory. Each time I change strings I have to send it to Indonesia, for a string and tune change, and they check set up too while they're at it. My band mates gives me the "hey, knock it off.." while laughing their asses off. Then I show them the back of the bass. Where the tuners reside. And I do explain it to them. Then, no more questions, and it's in tune.

Alamo likes this.
  10. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Holic

I’ve heard soloed recorded tracks from hit songs that sound just slightly out of tune. Play the whole mix and you don’t hear it. It may just be the way different people grab chords. The guitar may be in tune with a tuner but the player frets the chord a little off.

pixeljammer and MatsEriksson like this.
  11. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

They sure are, otherwise I wouldn't find a minority of YT flicks where the same guitars displayed (dis played) where this out of tuneness doesn't happen. At all. If open strings are in tune, they're in tune.

That guitars are never intonated properly is a whole another matter, and THAT one, I can wholeheartedly agree with.

richiek65 likes this.
  12. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

When the quarantine first started Rick Nielson from Cheap Trick shared how he plays Surrender (I think it was on Instagram) and it sounded pretty awful. Sounded pretty far outta whack.

MatsEriksson likes this.
  13. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

Oh yes. I am not seeing this in these videos where it's common (too common) that people plays chords with BENDING strings in the middle as if they struggling with pressing the strings down at a certain fret, and if the frets are too low, they indeliberately BEND the strings downwards to get a grip. Or they are accustomed to acoustic guitar fretting and as such carries over their fretting force on electric guitar with thin strings. As a result, pressing too hard.

Or could it be that they have fallen prey to all these customization systems like, BFTS, Earvana nuts, or adjusted nuts (I know that Ernie Ball Steve Morse has one) but then intonates and tunes the normal way, without knowing that you have to do it in a certain way, and procedure, process. PLUS, added on top of that, pressing to hard anyway...grabs the fretboard with iron fist.

The thing is, if I would do that, I would certainly hear it first, and think... hey, something must be addressed and solved first.

14. typek585

typek585 TDPRI Member

The first and the third videos was not so bad I think. The second one made my ears bleed.

Alamo and MatsEriksson like this.
  15. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

16. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

I've been tuning the G a little flat for the last year, that helps. Sometimes I can't get the b right either. So I'll do this frustrating play for 1/2 a song tune for 5 minutes dance for about a half hour and then give up for the day. 22 years in, I still can't get the thing in tune some days.

MatsEriksson likes this.
  17. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I suspect it has to do with how YT's data compression often adds a teensy bit of flanging to the sound. I've noticed this on solo piano and solo violin stuff too.

I think this is why recordings of band tunes sound more 'in tune' than solo instruments--because all the instruments are referenced to the same slight variations in pitch caused by the compression and it's less noticeable.

But I could be way off on this.

gregulator450 and MatsEriksson like this.
  18. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

But you know it! You hear it!

;););)

19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

The only two things in life that make it worth livin'
    Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women

Greggorios, richiek65 and MarkieMark like this.
  20. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

It's more than likely a 'musician' thing. I bet most non-players wouldn't notice anything amiss.
    When I listen to the old blues guitarists, they sound fine despite not having electronic tuners or playing cheap instruments that probably wouldn't intonate correctly.

MatsEriksson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.