1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

YouTube Demos, Paid Advertising & Stuff

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TokyoPortrait, Mar 5, 2021.

1. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

I just noticed Shane, off the In The Blues YouTube channel (& also a member here), put up this collaborative effort a few days ago.*

Interesting. Especially Lee Andertons’ comment / conundrum posted underneath. They don’t do paid promotions from manufacturing brands, but their store is also a business / brand that profits from the sales of that stuff.

Pax/
    Dean
    * apologies if it’s already been posted, I couldn’t see it anywhere

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

bumnote and TokyoPortrait like this.
  3. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Comments are now turned off, although they weren't last night, and I posted a comment that was complimentary to Andertons. I didn't read their comment but I'll repeat here what I said there. Andertons is a retail business, and so every product that they feature in one of their YouTube videos is something they sell in their store. So, their situation is different than these other YouTubers. However, they are brutally honest, and will tell you what they like and don't like about many products. When they do a shoot out among similar pedals, for instance, they often like a cheaper one as much or more than a more expensive one. I find that refreshing, however, everyone should realize that they're a business promoting the products they sell, and anyone who doesn't understand that is a fool. I use any YouTbe video as an example of the sound of a product, and I don't place a lot of stock in the opinions expressed, one way or another. Shane, for instance, isn't fond of Fender's Mustang line of amps, and I love them, so I see his opinion as biased from the get-go. As I said before, I don't care what their opinion is, I just use these videos so I can hear what a product sounds like.
    Finally, I think Shane is a P***y and a DB for disabling comments after receiving some that he apparently didn't agree with. So much for "transparency". If they were disabled by YouTube and not by him, then I owe him a big apology. I really like him, and I watch almost all of his videos. But, that doesn't mean that I always agree with him. I like Henning too, but I don't always agree with him either.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    richiek65, JamesAM and TokyoPortrait like this.
  4. TokyoPortrait

Hi.

Yes. A couple of times I've watched an Andertons' video and thought, 'Ouch, did he really just say that?!? [Insert maker's name] really won't be happy now.'

To be fair, it might just be a difference of opinion / perception rather than bias.

Right, it's almost 7:30 am here, time for a spot of gardening.

Pax/
    Dean

sax4blues and DougM like this.
  5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I like pubbies.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  6. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

...wait, businesses make profits?

YouTube is a business?

Minimum eligibility requirements to join
    1. Follow all the YouTube monetization policies.
      • The YouTube monetization policies are a collection of policies that allow you to monetize on YouTube. If you're a YouTube partner, your agreement including the YouTube partner program policies require compliance with these monetization policies in order to potentially earn money on YouTube.
    2. Live in a country or region where the YouTube Partner Program is available.
    3. Have more than 4,000 valid public watch hours in the last 12 months.
    4. Have more than 1,000 subscribers.
    5. Have a linked AdSense account.

I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked! Next you'll tell me that musicians should be paid and not work for free. I mean, everything else is free, right?

I guess I'm just not following what the problem here is. You get to watch this stuff on YouTube for free, and yet somehow, the work it takes to make YouTube happen shouldn't be paid for?

I like turtles, rabbits and puppy dogs. I also like guitars.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

No one is saying that YouTubers shouldn't make money, only that they should be honest and forthright when they are paid for promoting a product

8. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Whenever you encounter anyone online demonstrating a product, ask yourself why they're doing it. Is it just somebody showing off their collection for fun, or are they trying to promote something? If so, what are they promoting? A product or manufacturer? Themself? Their channel? Generally speaking, positive reviews are more likely to generate revenue than bad ones, so keep that in mind the next time you see a demo of the latest and greatest must-have guitar gizmo.

9. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

You know, I am of the feeling buyer beware, experience it firsthand, even on full disclosure which they should do, a great guitar player can make so so gear sound fantastic. That is their job. You don't see athletes wearing nike have to have a full disclosure statement. Movie stars advertising for deodorant or booze don't have a disclosure. Look at the swag bags given at the oscars, they don't have disclosures. The young fledgeling just starting out kids might get caught up on this we all did, but I doubt very many on this group would not recognize a shill at this point.

sax4blues, TokyoPortrait and BFcaster like this.
  10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm glad to see someone make money from YouTube, if you can do it, more power to you.

sax4blues likes this.
  11. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

It Is The Law.
    This is stated by all of them. I think Shane's 'tube post was necessary to some we may not know about, that this is a friendly reminder.
    Also, it is just the right thing to do, as they all said. Honesty is really the best policy, and should be the only policy.
    I agree with @pinchegil in that we the buyer should beware, that a player on a channel can make anything sound fantastic. I'm still trying to get one of my pedals to sound like the demos I heard of it!! (not disclosing which one, of course.)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  12. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

What is this “money” of which you speak?

lupowitz likes this.
  13. TokyoPortrait

Hi again.

I hate the term influencer, but it arose for a reason - these YouTube presenters have influence.

I just checked, and YouTube has been around since 2005 - i.e., for 16 years.

According to my quick search, businesses, who obviously recognised the power and potential of influencing, started making formal arrangements with popular channels from around 2006, including with Justin Bieber.

The thing is, many (most?) channels present themselves as your buddy. I wonder how people who didn’t come of age before YouTube perceive it?

It is probably just a ‘normal’ experience for them, and as such quite possibly one they don’t read the subtext of or critically evaluate. If so, part of that will be their age, but part may also be, from their perspective, the purely ubiquitous nature of it.

They might really need reminding that, ‘hey, this person isn’t your mate and you’re not their mate either, you’re their target demographic for marketing purposeses.’

Pax/
    Dean

SparkleFart and loopfinding like this.
  14. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

I believe if I watch a lot of review type videos I’ll get an overall sense of what a product is. They help me to then decide if I want to take next steps to physically try the product.

I’m currently gassing for a Vox style amp. The video reviews help me narrow the field in a much better way than 20+ years ago. But I don’t spend thou$and$ on something just because a review promotes it. The YouTube is just one data source which I’m glad to have.

15. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I never saw a single one of these product reviewers point out real problems with products or say that a product sucks. If there were honesty in that business lots of products would be called out for major flaws. But anyone who does that on a regular basis won't be in business of doing it for very long.

TokyoPortrait and loopfinding like this.
  16. BUG80

BUG80 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Hm I don't know, I saw a first review of one of those NeuralDSP boards by Paul Davids. Pretty sure he got it from them but he was quite critical about it.

This one made me chuckle though. Clearly a paid promotion. He acts quite enthusiastic about it, but is it me or do his eyes and body language tell a different story?

17. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

hahah i saw this vid, initially i wasn't going to say anything.

"guys! hawking stuff is COOL as long as you're forthcoming! i'm not a shill, i'm your buddy! we're building a community."

if we went back to pre-influencer times where none of these demos existed, my life wouldn't be any different.

a lot of these guys actually started like beato or jens larsen too, where they were actually doing educational content, either for guitar or on how to use gear. i have no beef whatsoever if a teacher wants to hawk their premium content when they give the public legitimately useful stuff. i don't even care if a teacher is occasionally an evangelist for a piece of a equipment, or is in some situation where they like their friends' work at X company. that can get you into their head a little bit.

but some of the "educational" vids done by people who are primarily influencers hardly ever tell me anything i don't know, and some are just filled with all kinds of erroneous information. and a guy dialing in a few well trodden sounds he liked on something and/or dropping it into a mix, or a guy noodling a few SRV wannabe things with everything at noon tells me nothing about what the equipment is totally capable of. i'd much rather see someone like brian wampler or pete celi talk in depth about their own stuff.

it's a great racket to sell stuff, no question. as a manufacturer, you'd be foolish not to take advantage of it. but i don't like when influencers sit there pretending that they're giving something so valuable or talk about themselves like they're so altruistic to the audience. it's also especially irritating when a guy who makes a living off of paid promotions and youtube ad revenue from said promotions is asking viewers for patreon money on top of that (like, the absolute nerve).

the entire reason they exist in guitar land is because those companies tend to be a bunch of luddites when it comes to online presence and demo documentation/making recordings of their products. it is a bit of a parasitic industry. if you look at synth land, you'll find a lot of manufacturers are never remiss to put up a comprehensive demo/video manual of their product themselves at launch.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    trxx and TokyoPortrait like this.
  18. NorthenLights

NorthenLights Tele-Meister

I agree. Stupid click bait titles and the worlds most average player regurgurating stuff they found on Google like it was some secret, profound wisdom.
    Thing is, their target audience isn't experienced musicians, or even us who's been on forums for many years. It's mostly younger people and beginner adults who rather digest information through a well produced video than reading written discussions. Forums outside of reddit are probably a thing of the past. They'll continue to be around, but I don't think they'll attract the younger crowd.
    All in all, I don't think influencers are a worse source of information than many of the self proclaimed experts on TGP. I'll stick to forums myself though, because then at least I won't have to contribute to elevate a mediocre know-it-all to rockstar/guru-status.

TokyoPortrait and loopfinding like this.
  19. TokyoPortrait

Curse you, I've had that as an ear worm all day!!!!!

But, I actually like it, so it's kinda okay :)

Pax/
    Dean

20. TokyoPortrait

Hi (yet) again.

A comment by @loopfinding reminded me of something.

If I watch YouTube guitar channels, it is either to educate myself about something, or just for entertainment.

Personally, I’m not usually shopping. I mean, yeah, sure, if I’m interested in something as a potential purchase, I’ll look for stuff about it. But really, that happens fairly irregularly and mainly what I’m looking for is education and entertainment.

Probably explains why I’m often unfamiliar with ‘gear demo folk’ and have no idea about some of the people being mentioned.

Mick off That Pedal Show has made comments at times about how channels that just review gear get hugely more views than his one. It seems many just want to look at / hear gear.

Pax/
    Dean

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.