YouTube Demoer - best, worst, favorite

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by revelator, Apr 26, 2011.

1. smoss469

smoss469 Tele-Afflicted

THANK YOU! I have him as a sub link on Youtube but just delete most of his updates because I know every OD and distortion will be mostly the same rehashed boring blues riffs.

I love Berg's demos, but I have to quit watching them. It makes me want even more new toys.

Phil-X is awesome because he has so much energy. If you didn't know any better you'd think he was doing lines before they hit record (he's clean).

Andy does a great job but in the end like GW's reviews, they're not really reviews, but advertisements. At least Andy and PGS show you the equipment/setup they use. unlike GW who plugs a $300 guitar into a possibly $10k setup.

The Tone King gets a lot of flak but it is what it is. He's just a dude from the NE with a lot of gear who loves to talk about what's out there. Don't like it, just don't watch. Yeah the playing is all in the same style and the quality isn't the greatest but he's just trying to share what he loves. I don't have a problem with that.

2. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

My favorite by far: Burgerman, closely followed by And from PGS.

Let me go on record that I HATEHATEHATE Gearmanndude's demos - everything always sounds completely the same with him, he never plays through a clean amp, always has it cranked for slight break-up, absolutely no way to judge the OD pedals he is testing; I also hate his total lack of methodic approach (like showing the same pedal at various gain/tone settings); and I absolutely hate his "kewl dude" shtick, every time he opens his mouth I get the urge to slap somebody (but then, I couldn't stand watching a Jack Black movie for more than 30 sec. either...)
    Phil X is another guy whose shtick I can't stand, but at least he plays much better and shows more interesting/rare gear.

3. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the insight on the gearmandude. Usually most of the effects i check out are posted by him and I don't take the time to filter through a lot of other bad deomos to get to a good one. But with your help here on the forum, I found some new demo people to turn to, to avoid searching forever to find a decent one. What's up with the Jack Black stuff anyway? I'm clueless to the Jack Black.

4. smoss469

smoss469 Tele-Afflicted

People think he sounds like Jack Black. He doesn't but that doesn't stop someone from posting it in every video he does.

5. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I know what you mean. I could watch every PGS or GMD video and not be tempted to buy a thing. I might have my interest piqued by something, but it almost never goes beyond that.

Burgs OTOH has played some stuff that I just had to know more about, even if it was just someone's take on a tricked out Tonebender. When I saw his video of the Four Banger, I literally didn't need to see another boost video after that! He also has videos for stuff that PGS will never carry because they aren't built in volume.

Lots of folks no doubt tune in to see the Catalinbread or Wampler videos that Burgs does, (or the Tech 21 stuff, which is very popular), but I like scrolling through for the ones that are big unknowns - they've impressed me the most.

6. Honeyman Scoot

Honeyman Scoot TDPRI Member

Brush with greatness... yesterday i went to try out some pedals at a store and I hear a voice i recognize immediately from youtube, Gearmandude himself!

He handed me a Mastotron i asked to check out, and he suggested i try a box of rock as well. I didn't bring up his celebrity status ( did the same thing once when i was in an elevator with David Bowie at MoMA.) I got to try a lot of pedals i had only seen online, so was a great few hours. Was good i did, realized that many of the Barber pedals were lower in gain than i had expected, and fell in love with a fuzz factory (unexpected as well).

Anyhow, i must agree that burgerman does a fantastic job, and seems like a nice guy.

7. viivian23

viivian23 Tele-Meister

Every single one of GMDs demos sounds the same, really I dont know how he can make that happen but he does i unsubbd

8. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

Pro Guitar Shop videos are the best quality & the most credible. I bought Fulldrive 2 & a Micro Vibe after watching their videos & wasn't disapointed.

9. JeradP

JeradP Former Member

His voice is VERY close to Jack Black's. But I do agree that hte JB comments are soooooooooooo dumb.

Today I was looking for a demo and clicked a Tone King video. He is not good... The audio quality is terrible on lots of the videos and he doesn't really play through much of a range on the knobs. His demeanor gets to me too. That idiotic "throw one of deez atcha (puts hand in devil horns guesture)" is lame.

There is one British/ Australian/ heavy English accent place guy named Mike Ivley (I think) who does a lot of demos. They aren't always the greatest demos, but he is always very (unintentionally at times) funny and entertaining to watch. He has a very dry sense of humor. he does some cheap gear reviews too, which is nice.

10. JeradP

JeradP Former Member

:eek::rolleyes: How it any different to only tell what pedals you LIKE, what guitars you LIKE, what tv shows you LIKE, etc? If I made a review and it sucked, I'd want people to tell me so I don't go on making awful review after awful review.

11. redstringuitar

redstringuitar Poster Extraordinaire

PGS Andy

Burgerman

Gearmandude

12. hwestman

hwestman Tele-Holic

That is gearwire...

That guy has a total gift for spending time with pointless and/or overly obvious aspects of the gear reviewed as well as making everything sound like crap. If I was in the music business I would pay money to keep him away from my product... Also I would say he's up there with Steven Seagal when it comes to unintentional comedy...:lol:

PGS, Burgerman and Phil X make great demos IMHO!

H

13. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I was late to the party with getting broadband on my computer (was still dial-up 'till maybe 2-3 years ago) and I thought watching "dirt pedal" demos on YouTube was about the most fantastic, fruitful experience (short of playing) a guitar player could ever ask for...I need more gigs!;)

14. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Just curious - are you basing this opinion on having bought pedals as a result of other non-PGS demos and been disappointed?

The only reason I bring it up is because most folks I know tend to have one favorite, and buy stuff being inspired by that favorite, and are typically impressed. There's really no need to repeat the process with other demo'ers to confirm whether this hypothesis is correct.

Heck - you could watch a "crap" video, be inspired, order the pedal, not be disappointed, and have yourself a method for new gear pre-purchase research. I know people that do it. :p

15. revelator

revelator Tele-Holic

As usual .11; well put!

Also have any of you checked out 5v1L0??? He doesn't so much do "reviews" as much as just show you his gear but he doesn't talk at all & plays REALLY well IMHO. He's def worth a view or 2 if you have the time :lol:

16. audiohatemchine

audiohatemchine Tele-Holic

Best? PGS for sound quality.
    Favourite? Gearmanndude - He is THE man.
    Worst? Everyone else. :)

17. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

I enjoy Gearmanndudes, but its mainly for the entertainment factor.

Gregor Hilden (greggsguitars) - superb.
    Andy at PGS.
    and .. love him or loath him (i.e. the 'Marmite factor' as we say in the UK) Phil X at FrettedAmericana.
    I try not to , but he wins me over every time ;)

Oh yeah, and our very own Robert Renman (aka Rotren) at DolphinStreet

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.