YouTube Demoer - best, worst, favorite

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by revelator, Apr 26, 2011.

1. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

Gearmandudes hatred of reverb puts him on my " enemies " list. ;)

2. Sikor

Sikor Tele-Meister

The best? There are some very good demoers:
    Brett, PGS, Tonefactor etc.
    They all different, but give different flavours of the pedals.

But definitely THE WORST demos are to me are made by Tone King :eek:
    Awful tone, playing worse even than mine :D
    I have pretty fast unsubscribed from his YT-channel.

3. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Tele-Afflicted

If you haven't seen this guy, you haven't seen a demo. Best ever.

4. the embezzler

the embezzler Tele-Holic

Wowsers! That guy was just plain creepy!

Mostly I find that gear demos are just waaaaaayyyyy tooooo looooong.
    The most i can stand is about 2 - 2 and a half minutes but many of these vids are pushing on 10 mins. Eeekk!
    Mostly we need less talk more playing, preferably not high gain. :rolleyes:

5. JesterR

JesterR Tele-Afflicted

Nobody mentioned musictoyznetwork, but I really love how they demoed pedals not in style "this knobs do this thing..", but in more musical inspiring context:

6. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Burgerman by far. The Tone King is not even a prince or duke.

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Great, great demo.

Once you see the POS that he's demoing it's almost better to listen to it and not look at it.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Calls a piece of crap - a piece of crap.

Jack White, why did you ever (over) use one of these ?

8. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

That's the problem for these folks.

Some people want it short. Some people want it in-depth. Some want to know how all the controls function, with both a verbal explanation and in usage. Some just want evidence that it can sound good, w/o certain characteristics being shown or highlighted. Some don't want ANY speaking at all. Some want demos with certain guitars, certain amps, certain playing styles. Some want a player with a lot of proficiency, to demonstrate that the pedal is being put through its paces. Some DON'T want proficiency, since they consider it to be wankery, or distracting. Some just want to hear certain stuff being done with it, to know that it will work for their personal intended uses.

...There is simply no way that anyone could do all of those things, or even more than a few. In a way, these folks tend to get evaluated like actors; you either like their overall style, or you don't.

9. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Anybody know anything about Andy from PGS? Is he in any bands or anything (I'm sure he is)? He's a great player.

10. ZenDog

ZenDog Banned

Yep, Andy from PGS.

The problem I have with GMD is that he is all over the map
    setting and pedal wise. Low gain, maxed gain, switch pedals, no gain,
    back to the other pedal, different tone setting, different gain.

Too hard for my ears to keep up with. And the audio quality of his clips
    is horrifyingly bad.

And if he thinks no one catches that his name is a lift of
    that shredder from the 80's Guy Man Dude, he's mistaken.

11. ZenDog

ZenDog Banned

It's Yul Brenner. He should be playing the theme from "The King And I"
    not Metallica.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  12. revelator

revelator Tele-Holic

Just realized I never voted myself :lol:

Best: Burgerman - I feel he does the best demos. He talks about the pedal, seems to know what he's talking about, but doesn't ramble on. I really like that he tells you how he recorded each clip (amp, guitar, mic & other info) & also seems to do most demos with both singles & HBs. All around I really enjoy his videos!
    Worst: Tone King - this guy is just all around NOT good! he rambles, doesn't seem to know anything about pedals that can't be read on TGP (which is mostly crap btw imho) & CAN'T PLAY GUITAR THAT WELL!
    Favorite: GMD - sorry but 90% of the reason I watch demos is entertainment & no one can deny that the GMD is entertaining. His amps & guitars are nothing like mine, his style of playing isn't really what I'm after & his demos don't typically show what I want BUT DANG IT HE FUN TO WATCH! Also I kinda feel like his lines of "I don't know what it does, I just pulled it out of the box but let's give it a go" is crap. I think anyone who spends as much time around gear as him probably knows more then he lets on but it's part of the character he's created for the demos.

honorable mentions:
    Any @PGS - great demos but I can't get over the fact that he's selling me the pedal. I will give his demos a listen if I'm looking to actually purchase a pedal. I like that he often uses gear similar to mine.
    Phil X- for guitar demos I love this guy, he's hilarious!
    Mike @shortscaledemos - HORRI...but I still love him if for nothing else, I love his random swearing & horrible opinions on gear.
    Paul Riario - is it just me or do you want to punch this guy?

13. 11 Gauge

With the urging of a "friend," I sent PR a pedal to review. This was like over a year ago. PR liked it and said it would be included in something that sounded like a "lesser important showcasing," but whatever - it was something, right?

I think he said something like "___________ bin." I don't really watch his stuff, as it just isn't for me, so IDK what he was talking about. Since my "friend" knows PR, I just acted like I knew what he was telling me, but I didn't have a clue.

Either way, no review, nothing. He probably doesn't even know where the pedal is at this point (he might have misplaced it right after he got it!).

At least with anyone else who has requested or was queried about a pedal, they actually followed through.

14. Progbusters

Progbusters Tele-Meister

sometimes I feel Andy's gear makes all the pedals sound the same. And then he relies too much on cleaning it up by rolling down the volume.

15. 11 Gauge

That's the consequence of a consistent, well rehearsed demo guy using state-of-the-art recording equipment (and separate personnel that only have to deal with the recording process).

So it's not so much his gear as it is the entire process as done by PGS. Since it is a business, they have a very consistent method for cranking those things out.

It is also proof that audio processing is capable of removing characteristics that make certain pedals sound different. So you not only have the truncated digital audio file, but it is also processed by the mic, mic pre(s), and any software processing, too. Compression/limiting in particular will take something away from many pedals (it will make them sound more uh...similar).

That is why, for right or wrong, I like demos that are cut in all one take, and then lightly edited (if at all) by the same person who did the playing. That way, there isn't time to get everything dead-on consistent. Variations in the recording process are actually then a good thing, because they aren't 100% veneered over in every instance. A really good pedal can reveal itself in such an impromptu situation.

Hey - polished to a perfection is not a bad thing, but variation to the process can typically be a little more revealing.

16. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

IMO For fx demos the gearmandude does a good job, straight to the sound not a lot of talking. For amp demos I like the GregVguitars guy, he has great sounding recording and video equipmnet, plus he can play. Again to the sound and not a lot of talking.

Some will argue that you can't realy hear what the product truly sounds like untill you hear it in person live. I agree to a point. But I have better than 20-20 hearing, and I have heard in-person live what good recording equipment sounds like and what the final product sounds like. I can also tell bad sounding recording from good. So YMMV. I like good sounding stuff.

17. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Afflicted

I like the objectivity and versatility of Burgerman's demos.

They're kinda market-oriented oriented, but I always watch Josh Smith's demos as soon as anything gets loaded.

I have the same issues with GMD's demoes as everyone - the sound quality simply can't do justice to the pedals, amp, or playing. The Jack Black thing has gone from comical, to mildly amusing, to "Holy ****, hasn't this been beaten to death already!". That being said, I also enjoy the entertainment value - I think I bought a Bullet coil cable simply because of the "white coily cable of rockin' our ballz off" bit. I think he truely enjoys taking the time to put these vids up, and that's cool in and of itself.

Andy's videos have great sound and image quality for sure, but they're obviously editted to death and geared towards selling you a product. That being said, I do appreciate that his vedeos are there as a free point of reference.

18. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

19. vedt

vedt Tele-Holic

I don't like GMD that much, because he plays the same blues riff on every demo. And he doesn't explore the full tonal range of each pedal. But I like that he does shootouts. Andy at PGS is pretty good, explores all options / tone ranges. I haven't watched that much Burgerman stuff, but think I should after reading your opinions.

20. CrowePhil

CrowePhil Tele-Meister

Check out Greg V...Tungsten Crema Wheat demo is killer

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.