YouTube Demoer - best, worst, favorite

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by revelator, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Farlsborough

Farlsborough TDPRI Member

I like the Visual Sound shootouts. Yes, they're focused around their own products, but they seem pretty unbiased (as I remember their compressor didn't come out brilliantly) and they cut through a lot of the hype-y crap out there.

2. Northerntele

Northerntele Tele-Holic

I always watch Andy at PGS. and of course Phil X because he goes off on ridiculous tangents in the middle of demoing what he's supposed to be selling. I know Phil isn't for everybody but I like it

3. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Our very own...

Robert Renman - he can play!

4. JeradP

JeradP Former Member

Oh, I forgot about Rotren. He's a TRDPIer. He makes me jealous in his videos.

5. Suicideking

Suicideking Friend of Leo's

I agree I really like both Andy and Phil X. I like Gearmandude, but completely agree with what others have said about his sound quality.. Andy and Phil are so different, but both good in their own right.

6. silentechoes

silentechoes Tele-Meister

My favorite is GMD, even if it is purely for the entertainment value. Brett Kingman is very thorough, although I'm not thrilled with the amount of talking he goes through. Andy has alot of talent, and has an excellent handle on alot of styles, but his vids are way too short. But Tone Factor takes the cake for worst demos ever. He sounds like he's way too stoned to remember his own name. By the time he gets to the playing he's already bored me to sleep (which actually did happen once!).
    As for demos vs shootouts: it depends on what I'm looking for at the time. If I'm looking for a general type of pedal, I like shootouts, because you get alot of pedals in one vid. If I've already done my homework and am looking at specific pedals, demos are the way to go.

7. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

I don't think it's very nice to list the worst or least favorites as it is hurtful to the demoers. Instead, list your favorites.

My 3 favorites are Brett Kingman, Andy at PGS, and Gearmanndude.

I do some YouTube videos but not in depth gear demos but I'm a professional gigging musician and have lots of experience being in bands and onstage. I played in an Eagles tribute for 4 years playing Joe Walsh. I should start doing demos/reviews but I don't have any computer recording experience or equipment.

8. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

JMCCOY alias Fatback is the guy for me... crazy cool player, nice guy, demoes the weirdest stuff and went viral with his sanford and son theme song (and actually knew to call it by the QJ name!)

Just awesome entertainment...

For lessons, give me tonedr everytime!

I am not a fan of slow talkers and guys who don't get after it, then explain it....

9. revelator

revelator Tele-Holic

I'd never seen Phil X before! He's awesome!!! Hilarious!.....not that great of a demoer but fun to watch!

10. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

Can someone provide a link to a Burgerman demo? I can't seem to find him on You Tube. Tnx.

11. Suicideking

Suicideking Friend of Leo's

I forgot to mention I love these as well, they turned me onto the Visual Sound pedals and I could not be happier. Their Jekyll & Hyde pedal is one of my favorites their take on the 808 is one of the best IMO...

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

GMD all around and is biased and is sometimes wrong (reverb does not suck) and Andy does a really good quality one as well.

13. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

Nevermind. Found 'im.

14. Birdmankustomz

Birdmankustomz Friend of Leo's

1- Philx
    2- PGS
    3- GMD

15. mr natural

mr natural Friend of Leo's

16. Progbusters

Progbusters Tele-Meister

don't you guys mean The Tone King instead of Tone Factor? I like Burgs, GMD, and sometimes PGS, but I also like Tone Factor since they just dive right into the sounds. The Tone King guy with the thick accent, not a fan.

oh and PhilX rules

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  17. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Faves....

Fun and informative - Gearmanndude
    Great playing and informative - Robert Renan/Dolphin Street
    Recording quality - PGS Andy
    Nutty Entertainment - Phil X

I don't understand......

The Tone King when he demos lots of Bugera amps with a BC Rich pointy guitar. I think he appeals to metal heads. Might be ok but I don't relate to that style.

18. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

PGS methodical approach is great

Brett's excellent as he's a working musician and gives feedback from that perspective.

GMD? Here's the clean tone "braaaap braaaap BRRRAAAAAARRRP" :lol:

19. Twangasaurus

Twangasaurus Tele-Afflicted

Thats Gearwire fo sure. Think they stopped doing that though, might have even fired Mr. Sleepy-Possibley-Druggy?
    Burgerman gets a thumbs up just for the fact he is a Penny Pedal fan, I like gearmandude because that stuffs pretty funny but I mostly watch PGS because they make a video for just about everything (and thats handy-andy).

20. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

That's another point about Brett that I think is worth considering. Since he isn't isolated to pedals within what his employer carries (GMD gets most of his from the music store that he works at in Kentucky), he has videos for LOTS of stuff from all around the world that you will never find in videos from many other guys.

I've found out about many pedals that I would choose over the in-stock stuff from PGS or a standard store that GMD works at. Brett also demos pedals that are hand built in small quantities, so places like PGS will never carry them. Dice Works and the Soulsonic 4 Banger are just two GREAT pedals or builders, off the top of my head.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.