YouTube Demoer - best, worst, favorite

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by revelator, Apr 26, 2011.

1. revelator

revelator Tele-Holic

So who do ya love? who do ya hate? who do ya think does the best job?

gearmanndude?
    Andy w/ PGS?
    Burgerman?
    Tone King?
    Tone Factor?
    others?

Do you prefer straight demos or shootouts? Do you like to have multiple guitars in multiple amps or do you care?

One thing I'm always thinking about when watching demos is "are they trying to show me the pedal or sell me the pedal? And does that effect the way they showcase it?"

I know I know I know..."step away from the computer & practice" but let's be honest, if we were going to do that...we wouldn't be here :D

2. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

IDK all of those, but I'll always check out new stuff from Gearmandude and Uncle Fezzter. I like some attitude in the videos.

3. Bluessoldier

Bluessoldier Tele-Meister

I think PGS has the best sound quality and chooses the best style of music for the gear it is intended for, instead of playing the same stuff all the time.

Gearmandude is very likeable, but the quality of audio in his videos is horrible.

4. SngleCoil

SngleCoil Tele-Holic

Brett Kingman is my favorite

5. Thighbanez

Thighbanez Tele-Afflicted

Burgerman all the way

Burgerman (Brett and Sadie Kingman) gets my vote!! Mainly because he plays a multitude of different genres of music to demo the pedals and equipment. Secondly because he stands where you can SEE what he is doing when he is playing sometimes. I, as an up and coming player, really appreciate that.

Gearmandude only plays country licks when demoing. I like his shootouts, but you can never see his hands...

Andy (PGS) clips are way too short to get an idea of the reality of the gear. Sometimes he does let you see him play, which is nice.

Tone King: ???

Tone Factor: ???

6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I like most- GMD for his entertainment value, and PGS and Burgerman(Brett K) as they really (each in their own way) show all the features of an effect, and put it thru its paces...

I of course gravite towards effects and players/playing that is similar to what I'm into (Fender guitars and amps), and i dig shoot outs....

7. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

Pete Thorn's demos are pretty sweet. PGS Andy and Burgerman are ridiculously fun to listen to. I like how unique GMD is, but I've never really latched on to his reviews. Same with the Tone King.

I make it a rule to stay away from any review that relies on a webcam's or videocam's built-in microphone.

8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Who is the demo guy that is always half-asleep, spends 5 minutes taking the pedal, instructions out of the box- then another 1/2 hour explaining the controls- then after an hour finally plays something-poorly!?!

Who is the loser that watches all this as it unfolds? repeatedly..... ME;)

9. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

While I appreciate each of them for what they contribute, Brett Kingman is my absolute favorite. He has the right combination of talent, gear, humor, approach, and more. He will take the time to do a full length video with at least two different guitars. Brett also basically "cuts" the whole track live, too! He just goes back afterwards and mates up the audio track to the DV cam track.

...The other guys all have some of the above traits, but the Burgerman is the total package, IMO. I was blown away the first time I saw one of his videos, and the same thing happens when I see a new one.

Kudos to Brett!

10. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Tele-Afflicted

and his daughter is very cute - he has a nice way about him.

11. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Brett Kingman is #1. he is not trying to sell anything and gives you the info via a "news crawl" that explains what the pedal does and what the settings do to the sound.

Andy at PGS is #2. He does have something to sell but he does take the time to explain the pedal and plays some decent riffs to get a tatse of what the pedal is about.

Gearmandude likes to show off the gear but doesn't really do that much. Never explains what he's doing when twiddling knobs, does not explain what the pedal is suppose to do, and really doesn't provide that much info. Its kind of like watching a cooking show where the chef does not tell you what the ingredients are, you just see him shaking something in a jar and stirring the pot.

12. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

I've got to check these others out now.

13. Thighbanez

Thighbanez Tele-Afflicted

OMG,I think that is Tone-Factor!!! I can't stand that guy. I invested in faster home internet just so I could fast forward through those bloody awful reviews and get to the (poorly demoed) music.

14. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

Burgerman and Andy at PGS ( anyone who uses Dead Kennedy's in his demos is OK with me ).

15. JeradP

JeradP Former Member

Since the best were already described, the worst are World Music Supply and Expert Village.

WMS has terrible demoers who don't seem to know what pedals are. They crank them and wank away.

Expert Village is pretty terrible with anything. I think it might be like a blog thing. If not, it certainly seems like one.

Gearman Dude (aka Jack Black according to every comment) is very good. I just wish he'd do more single coil demos (he usually uses an SG or Les Paul).

16. JeradP

JeradP Former Member

:D hahaha he is pretty terrible. It's like watching Debbie Downer open a birthday gift in slo-mo, describe it, then incorrectly use it.

17. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Very true, and very relevant. Not only that, he is a professional gigging musician. He plays some very large venues. IMO, it makes him a bit more of an authority on the subject, since he has a lot of experience in the performance vein - the stuff has got to work, sound good, and be reliable.

If you pay attention, you can usually discern the pedals that Brett favors, as opposed to the ones that are more of a FYI demo because people are interested.

I like Brett's versatility, too. Oftentimes someone will have a bias towards certain genres. Brett can cover most of them, but is also good at doing something that might be more trad blues oriented, straight up to metal and such (I remember when he got that ESP 7 string). It also gets a little old with some other demo guys who use the same Strat or Paul for everything. Brett always seems to mix it up. He has his Clapton Strat and Am Std Tele, but also has a LP, a new Charvel, he has or had a SG a little while back, there's the ESP T7, the Music Man that kind of straddles the fence, and a couple of Floyd Rose guitars, amongst others.

18. looney77

looney77 Tele-Afflicted

Both Burgerman and PGS are really good quality, but the GMD is my favorite. Probably thanks to the humor and the fact he's a KY boy.

19. revelator

revelator Tele-Holic

all the Tone Factor demos I've watched don't have any talks :confused:

I know "The Tone King" (aka "lmsjr" on YouTube) talks FOREVER

20. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Tele-Holic

Kingman/Burgerman is the best IMO, hands down. Great player, great audio quality, knowledgeable and does the demo right (actually turns knobs, doesn't indulge exclusively in pentatonic wankery). And above all else, he isn't trying to sell me anything himself.

GMD gets points for style though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.