YouTube copyright rules? Please explain.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Jun 30, 2020 at 8:16 PM.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I have considered cresting video song lessons or covers (without monetizingj. However it sounds like they are pretty strict.
    What abound SoundCloud in terms of covers?

2. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

As long as you don’t use long segments of the original recording, cover songs and lessons are generally OK.

burntfrijoles likes this.
  3. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Fair use of copyrighted original material is generally accepted to be short segments (~five seconds or so in length). Anything beyond that may be subject to a copyright strike.

Per Youtube's guidelines: "Borrowing small bits of material from an original work is more likely to be considered fair use than borrowing large portions. However, even a small taking may weigh against fair use in some situations if it constitutes the 'heart' of the work."

I'll probably get sued for quoting that without their permission o_O

More info here: https://www.youtube.com/about/copyright/fair-use/#yt-copyright-four-factors

4. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Youtube copyright strikes are significantly increasing as of late if the music channels I follow are any indication. Covers aren't safe.

5. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Meister

I recently had a video get blocked for copyright. It was a 15 second cell phone demo of a vintage turntable playing a Led Zeppelin song. It had a whopping 37 hits over 6 years.

I'm guessing they are using AI to agressively protect copyrights. As a creative, I totally support copyrights, so it didn't bother me.

6. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

I don't think Youtube could explain their copyright rules to you.

Lately I've seen multiple original artists complaining that music they wrote and own has been blocked or demonetized by youtube.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.