Youthanasia (1994)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cometazzi, Oct 22, 2021.

1. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

According to Wikipedia, the Megadeth album Youthanasia was released on November 1, 1994. I very much enjoy this album and when I listen to it, it brings me back to the era of my life from about 1994-1997. Every song reminds me of times, places, people, things, events. Stuff that was happening in my life at the time. I know there are probably not a ton of Megadeth fans here, but we can all name the albums that defined an era in our lives, right?

Funny thing is, I never owned this album in the 90s. In fact, it was probably in the last 5-7 years that I first listened to it. So longest ago would have been 2014.

Yet I have all these memories of 1994-1997, and mostly 1996. In '96 I was 22 years old. This album conjures visions of the house in the small faraway town I lived in, the job I worked at the time, the car I drove, the dudes I hung out with, the girl I was lippin' on, the guitars/amps/equipment I had and what I was playing on them in the band "Blood Tide" at the time. None of these memories are attached to anything else but this album.

I've lost touch with just about everyone I knew then, so I can't confirm. It's such a mindblast. Sometimes I question if any of these memories are real or if that whole time is imagined. I have no way to verify one way or the other. Everything I did in that band was before the Internet got huge so there's no record of it there either.

Do you ever have false memories attached to albums, songs, music or the like? Stuff you thought was real but questioned later? Or perhaps had the conundrum of not being able to prove one way or the other?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    Toadtele likes this.
  2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, every time I hear the Stones’ song “Monkey Man,” I remember setting up a cocaine trafficking ring with my girlfriend, while trying to hide the whole operation from my boss, because he said if I got involved with selling drugs, he’d kill me…

EDIT:
    Wait, that wasn’t me—that was Henry Hill…never mind!

stepvan likes this.
  3. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

False memories are known as the Mandela effect

4. NICQ

NICQ Tele-Meister

Been listening to "Rust in Peace" and "So far so good... So what" lately ... Mustaine was brilliant in the late 80ies/early 90ies

I had Youthanasia as well, lost interest in Metal after that
    I think I bought it mainly because it had. Bonus Disc with rare Tracks (99 ways to die, Angry again etc)

Learning to play Tornado of Souls - not the solo though - rhythm is hard enough haha

5. clingin_on

clingin_on Tele-Meister

I have fond memories of that album. Me and my mate sitting around getting stoned and learning the solos in The Killing Road.

As for false memories, I'll have to ponder that. Can't remember right now.

6. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

For me, the song "1979" triggers memories of the summer of 1979.

7. Festofish

Festofish Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Megadeth has put out consistently good music/lyrics. I like them a lot however my vote always goes to Anthrax and Overkill. They’ve been my favorite thrashers since I was a kid. The big 4 and Overkill have all put out great albums over the last few years.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.