1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

you're gonna hear from this kid

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by televillian, Jan 9, 2021.

1. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

It's brilliant playing, highly skilled, insanely technical, extremely proficient, insightfully arranged, sublimely musical, and it became background music for me in less than a minute. In fact, I turned it off with, I see from scrolling back up to look, 20 seconds to go. It had become annoying.

I don't think I'm dissing him, just trying to be honest, as in, critique. For me, there's something missing here. It feels like a rendition, not an immersion. Actually, it feels like an equation is being worked though.

I'd love to have just a fraction of his talent, technique, musicality, etc. I also realise, knowing myself & my oh so meagre abilities,* how petty, potentially jealous and bitter I might sound. But the thing is, I really just don't give a rat's back area how competent someone is, as a thing in of itself. A certain style, type or piece might require a certain competence, and another demand far less. I get that, but it will never mean I hold the former automatically higher than the latter.

I see this fairly often, where a high degree of musical accomplishment is lauded. If people are into that, great. It means they are gaining pleasure and enjoyment. And that is wonderful. One of the best things about music is there's a glove that fits everyone. Just this one doesn't fit me.

Pax/
    Dean
    * measured in the negative really - can't do X, can't do Y, barely able to Z, doesn't understand P, never heard of Q, etc.

micpoc, Rocky058 and 8barlouie like this.
  2. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

No I'm not.

superjam144 likes this.
  3. loudboy

loudboy TDPRI Member

Interesting that he's got the low E and A tuned to C and D, so he can use those open strings to do the bass lick w/o fretting.

Allan Allan likes this.
  4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Great player- emulating Tommy Emmanuel. Playing both melody and chords.
    I 'd like to that Tears For Fears song on a nylon string acoustic.
    ( As for the fingernails- mine grow like that- it helps- no pick).

cat dude likes this.
  5. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

He's a good guitarist, and way better than me for that style of playing.

I've seen SO many good young guitar players on Youtube, that I'm hardly impressed anymore by their level of talent.

To be honest, no matter how good a guitarist is, unless they are a great singer and can sing lead and harmony, and write some really good original, they're most likely going nowhere.

There are 1000's of guys like this on Youtube, so while I agree he can play well, he doesn't really have the total package that separates him from the rest of the guys.

DHart, johnnylaw, sax4blues and 2 others like this.
  6. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

The arrangement is the best part. Maybe it's not original, maybe it's not creative in a compositional way, but arranging is an art all its own - especially when you only have 6 strings to arrange on.

Maybe one of these days he WILL (or already has, for all I know) some originals with just-as-clever arrangements, but, it's hardly any surprise that the covers are the ones all his subscribers are reacting to and sharing.

7. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

Vaguely, yeah.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

I mean - If only he'd smile or something. He's not reaching out, he's reaching in.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

As far as nails go, Johnny Hiland has his nails about the same lenght.

10. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

At least he's being critiqued for his playing and not for the sort of reasons somebody like Jess Greenberg gets "critiqued".

11. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

He's good and I enjoyed it, but don't hear anything that makes me think we'll be hearing from him in the future.

superjam144 likes this.
  12. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Or perhaps an interlude with a brief but compelling interpretive dance would have made me like it more.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  13. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Such great precise bass lines....

14. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

He's great, though I do prefer the arrangement on the Tears For Fears song... but that's also a better song.

I am fairly certain he is FAR more accomplished than the people making snarky negative comments about him here. ;)

15. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Sungha Jung was awesome and promising and cute until he wasn't 7 anymore.

MojoTrwall likes this.
  16. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

So what?

First, personally I don’t read anything here as snarky. Quips maybe.

I’ve already freely admitted I cannot begin to approach him. In any way. Whatsoever.

Does that mean I can’t express my opinion? Does it make my opinion invalid?

I have what I feel are valid opinions about paintings, including art I don’t like. Water Lilies 1916 - meh. Wild Poppies, near Argenteuil - kinda groovy. Either way, I can’t paint at all, let alone like Monet. And, I’d much rather look at Pollock.

Which reminds me: “...as long as something has been said. Technique is just a means of arriving at a statement.”

Pax/
    Dean

17. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

What kills me is when guys say "I'm going to quit guitar now!", like they've been in some imaginary competition with a 12 year old since they picked up their guitar! :lol:

I just heard an interview from a guy who can shred with the best of them and he was saying how when he was a young player, he thought it was all about playing up the neck, and impressing people... Then as he matured he realized that it is simply a tool that does one thing: create music. And the music is the important aspect not the pyrotechnics.

Technical ability is something to be respected nonetheless, but it won't be enough to make good music, although it should help!!!

I remember a thread a while back challenging the tdpri if they really got above the 4th fret often on their guitar necks... And I was thinking what a lame question, you can play a classical masterpiece in the first four frets for goodness sakes!!!

And it really does just repeat itself as the key may change... structurally the first four frets is essentially just inverted and shifted up the neck as you barre the open strings...

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  18. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

I have been called a dumbass many times. And I dont dance. And I listened carefully to both examples all the way through, which isnt that common for me.

I also cannot play that style and admire the playing. Kids good.
    I wish I could do that at all much less with the kids timing and proficiency.

My only critique is with the presumptive nature of the thread title. Sorry.

There are better players who will never be more than a pizza delivery away from meeting lesser players who make a living at it while dating supermodels.
    Or something like that.

The odds are high I will never see the kid again beyond what I just examined.
    Thats just the facts ma'am.

19. johnny7

johnny7 Tele-Meister

He has great timing and a cool arrangement. To me it would be good background playing in a restaurant over supper. Both songs can be broken down to fundemental patterns that just repeat. If he could sing like Eva Cassidy and play as he does, it would be worth paying to see. If I had to choose between his arrangements and Eva Cassidy's, I would choose Eva Cassidy's. Just my opinion.

20. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Since when does making thoughtful critical comments become the same thing as being "snarky"? Speaking for myself I was critiquing his playing and his arrangement...I wasn't criticizing him. Is this what things are reduced to now? You either like something or you're being snarky? Those are the choices? o_O

TokyoPortrait and sax4blues like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.