1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Your WORST School Teacher

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by micpoc, Aug 2, 2020.

1. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

Pre-School YMCA event - Just after our parents left the instructor drastically changed tone and told us we'd better behave or else he'd "Take us outside and spank our asses with a piece of wet wood."

Fourth grade teacher who was just spitefully vile to begin with, about 30 mins before the end bell I had to pee really bad and raised my hand. She just stared me down in silence like Joan Crawford in Mommy Dearest. I kept my hand up for the duration, she never responded, I rode the bus home hiding wet jeans.

Seventh Grade Shop Teacher who I'd previously had a pretty jovial relationship with, one day took extreme offense to something I'd said and pulled me to the side and sternly whispered "I'll take you out back and kick the living **** outta you..."

Eleventh Grade English Teacher who was absolutely phoning it in and barely understood the curriculum, but was bitter/vengeful about it and took it out on her students by repeatedly flunking them.

2. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Tele-Holic

Most of my teachers were pretty good. My freshman algebra teacher, well...he was one of those savants who could work quantum physics equations in his sleep and could not conceive how anyone else couldn't. He would stand at the chalkboard writing algebraic equations at the speed of light and explaining them at nearly the same speed. Within 15 minutes of each class session I was totally and hopelessly left in the dust. I would try to stay after class and ask questions but he was always in a hurry to head for the teachers' lounge. I passed with a D-minus but in truth had learned nothing and was really a year behind. No more math after that until I hit tech school, when I had a caring, enthusiastic teacher w ho would stop after every mind-bender and ask if everyone had it down, and if not, to please ask questions. Which I did, and never left a class flummoxed. A good teacher is worth his/her weight in gold. A bad one is nothing less than toxic.

KyAnne, jrbab and ravindave_3600 like this.
  3. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

She could rub her ass over my knuckles any time.

4. Unison Bend

Unison Bend Tele-Meister

Mrs Hipps, my 4th grade elem teacher. If she still alive, I gotta wonder who is running hell.

KyAnne, ndcaster and boris bubbanov like this.
  5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

See, this is the thing that I don't understand. As substandard as some of the ones I saw were, they had no luck in "dividing" the class when I was around. From my perspective, if a teacher were allowed to pick on one student, then that teacher can pick on any of us.....all of us.

I'm thinking about the times I would try out for one of the teams - I stood no chance, since I was just too small. When we played football in gym class, of course with some blocking I could score, but that won't work at the next level because somebody on the other town's team would just have crushed me like a spent cigarette. But I tried, and I guess people identified with an ability to take punishment. And if teachers know you can handle punishment, their options are very limited I think. And baseball, I could hit all right but I couldn't see well enough to get the task done on defense. I never took it wrong when I didn't get chosen. I knew I had other things working for me.

No, I would say with the except of that Barnes guy, my teachers before college were considerably better than the Little League coaches and some Scoutmasters and etc. Most of the places I lived had high real estate values, high tax rates and high teacher salaries and so the schools I attended were full of cherry picked teachers. Often with teachers you get what you pay for.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    P Thought likes this.
  6. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

You're only a shovel and a 30 hour drive away...

7. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

Mr. C. - 5th grade math teacher. Every day was some combination of:
    1. Mr. C. doing magic tricks;
    2. Mr. C. forcing the class to write times tables as punishment; and
    3. Mr. C. bouncing some kid's head off the blackboard (yes, Virginia, this really happened back in the day - all the time).

8. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

What was it you said?

9. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

I have a Ph.D in Psychometrics and was the program director of the Psychometric program and a major NYC University. I can't do simple math to save my life. :) To me advanced statistical models are more like music than math. It is about the patterns that reflect the relationships that exist in the data. Just like music represents patterns that reflect relationships among the notes.

getbent likes this.
  10. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Most teachers I ever had were really kind people. They definitely weren't in it for the money. I was always wanting to be positive in class and learn something, so I mainly had a good time

The main problem I had with teachers is a few who were really bitter people. Looking back, I never really stood a chance with them, but their sour response to me crushed a bit of me. It was actually good preparation for a lot of negative bitter people I would meet in my career, so I don't resent the stupid ways they had. They are the people who lived curled up bitter lives, not me

P Thought likes this.
  11. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

This is easy. I have two.

1. My high school chemistry teacher was in his 70s and would rarely complete a sentence. Like, literally, he would rarely complete a sentence, which made understanding what actually *happened* in those p-orbitals almost impossible to understand.

Plus, all of his tests had been found, copied, and distributed among the city kids who knew all about them. I was bussed in from the country, so I wasn't part of the in-crowd and didn't know about the answer keys. Consequently, the teacher thought he was doing a brilliant job, teaching brilliant kids, and I was the only one who did just okay. He was disappointed in me.

Not nearly as much as I was, so I guess it worked out.

2. I made the mistake of taking a course on "the short story" with someone who is now a successful novelist. This person was something of a mini-celebrity on campus, talked-up as a great talent, married to a Very Cool Professor who was also teaching at the college at the time. They were the hot young academic couple on campus.

Well, one day, late in the semester, my professor simply disappeared. Poof. No one knew where she was. Not even her HUSBAND. There was sorrow and confusion, a search, a pinch-hitting professor brought in to finish the class, counseling for the poor hip husband professor she apparently ditched without warning, and a total shambles of a class with grades to match for us students.

This professor was later discovered in New York City, living pretty large on a big advance for her next novel. Last time I checked, you can buy her novels in airport bookstores.

But I won't.

P Thought likes this.
  12. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

I have to change my answer. I just remembered that one of my college professors - nice guy, entertaining and supportive in class, popular with the students - is currently serving life in prison for "sexual exploitation of a child under age 12." Actually, many children. He's a real dirtbag.

KyAnne and micpoc like this.
  13. JDC

JDC Tele-Holic

"I will mention that as a group some of the best instructors I had in college (University of Houston) were grad students. It seems like my graduate instructors put more into teaching"

Could be a result of grad students having had actual experience teaching outside the rarified college/university atmosphere.

I had a required Psychology class (targeted at education students planning on working with kids in grades 7-12) that was presided over by a prof who admitted he'd never taught at a middle school/high school level. While he was an able instructor, NONE of the purely "academic content" in that course ever translated into anything usable in the classroom.

14. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Lucky to have only one bad teacher. 9th grade algebra teacher. I got alon with all my teachers, but this guy did not like me one bit. First semester, I got my one and only F ever. I just could not learn (in his defense, I'm an idiot when it comes to math) the concept of algebra.

My mom got me a tutor and my grade went from an F to a B. Teacher confronted me that I was cheating. When my mild mannered mother found out, she marched down to the school and reamed him a new one! He actually apologized to me and things were better with him after that.

15. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

I’ve had some doozies. I had a couple of college professors that were both so severely impaired they never should be let in a classroom. They both seemed to have suffered strokes in the past and should have retired. There were a few graduate student TAs who couldn’t speak english. There was an American TA in one calculus recitation who was so bad that the professor sat in on one class after we complained and then told us the next day we no longer needed to go to the recitation.

But the worst was a famous (in his arena) professor at a prestigious university where I got my master’s degree. He was such an arrogant a-hole. He was scheduled to teach a required course. I was warned not to take his class, and put it off for a year. The next year came around and he taught it again. I took it because I would otherwise had delayed graduation. He never followed the syllabus and taught about 10% of the material in the syllabus. The rest of the time he talked about himself and how worthless modern methods were. The exams had no hint of what was talked about in class. There was no book and he would sometime list references to look up, many of them in German. He gave the entire class Cs, a damning grade in grad school. The runner up for worst was actually this guy’s protege who was equally arrogant but at least attempted to cover the material. Between the two I missed out on learning the most important material for my degree.

16. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

Absolutely true!
    One of my favorite instructors had been a auditor at one of the big accounting firms but was back in school working on his doctorate.
    His class was 'transaction processing' where most of our grade came from writing (in BASIC) an end to end accounting program.
    We were divided into groups and at the end of the semester we presented our program through a PC overhead projector.
    My group's program was the only one that worked perfectly. Woo-hoo!
    Now that I think about it, my audit class was taught by an adjunct professor who worked at a major accounting firm.
    He had been using the exact same tests for years and of course his old tests were widely available.
    One of my classmates (who didn't know anyone with the old tests) complain to the dean.
    Well.... all new tests and a whole bunch of people ended up either dropping or failing the class.
    Naturally I studied and did well, but cheating was widespread. (I knew about the old tests but did not study them.)
    I never cheated in college - easier to just study.

Markrk

Believer likes this.
  17. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

I was working at the local community college teaching job seeking, resume writing, and interviewing skills until the grant for my program was discontinued. I then had to use the very skills I taught to pursue another job. I was unemployed for about 3 months until I decided to change careers completely. I had just received my Masters Degree in Counseling about a year and a half previously. The college called and wanted me to come back and take over another grant funded program. I took the job because I needed it but had already decided to follow my plan to pursue dentistry at the start of the next (Spring) semester.

I was a non-traditional student and was 15 years older than most of my fellow students. I had to take 2 years of advanced math and science to meet minimum dental school requirements. So, I started out with college algebra. I hadn't had an algebra course for the previous 17 years. And it was a basic algebra course. I really had my work cut out for me. I was sharing a mobile home/rent with a previous co-worker's daughter. She was a nursing student and was usually not home. I rarely saw her. Initially, until we found an apartment, my wife would bring me to the university on Sunday afternoon and drop me off then return to take me home for the weekend on Fridays. It took about 6 weeks for us to find an apartment (townhouse) and for my wife to find a job.

OK, with that caveat, back to my undergrad college algebra. I was having a rough go of it. The book was terrible and didn't explain anything. There were 400-500 students in the same class as myself divided into about 19 sections that were taught by grad students (TAs). The professor for the course lectured on the material twice a week but went way too fast to be of any help at all. Seemed like a cool guy though. My section was taught by a somewhat difficult to understand Asian fellow. However, he was a very good teacher and a nice guy. He desperately wanted to be liked.

There were 3 exams for the entire course. One day the TA told us he would give us the answers to our first exam on the back of the attendance sheet that was to be passed around before the exam!! I was devastated. I had completely changed careers at age 35 and now with the very first course was going to become entangled in a cheating scheme, not involving the students, but the TA!

Well, my plan was to pass the attendance sheet on without looking at the answers, focus on the course and getting a good grade and nothing else. I wanted to be able to look anyone in the eye and say I didn't cheat. I followed my plan to the "T". But wait...what would that do to the grading curve? Uh, oh... I missed failing the first test by one point. Once again, I was devastated. I had made a life changing decision to change careers entirely and this is what I get.

However, at the same time, it put in me a resolve to get a decent grade in that course no matter how hard I had to work. I lived at the math lab getting help with my algebra from TAs almost every day. I was now starting to catch on and that gave me a badly needed dose of confidence.

The second exam I did the same as the with the first exam...I paid no attention to the answers on the back of the attendance sheet (yes, the TA provided the answers again). However, this time I got a 24 out of 25 on the exam. The third and last exam which was also the final exam, I eked out enough to get a "B" letter grade in the course. I was ecstatic. The shocking thing is, to my knowledge, nothing was ever found out or reported regarding cheating on the first two exams. No one, including myself, reported anything that I knew of. I simply wanted my well earned "B" and to get on with my life. Because of my age, I would get one shot at dental school and this was it. Getting snagged in a cheating scandal that was none of my doing could have effectively ended my shot at dental school. I can honestly say I never cheated in my undergrad or dental school courses. Or, my Masters Degree in Counseling (4.0 GPA).

I've been retired from dentistry for almost five years now. I had a private general dentistry practice for 23 years. And I still have to shake my head at the whole truly bizarre undergrad college experience. Someone was watching over me.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    KyAnne and ravindave_3600 like this.
  18. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

My high school physics "teacher" taught us not one lick of physics. He talked about his hunting dogs.

My Iranian college accounting teacher didn't think women belonged in class. His original grading sale was 95-100% -A, below 95% -F.

19. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

The most vivid memory I have of an unpleasant teacher was an English professor in college who one day announced to our small class, "Alex has a 'White' mind." Needless to say I was mortified to be spoken of in the third person like that, as if I were some sort of
    f---king specimen or something, plus the absurdity of everyone in the class including the professor being 'White.'

20. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Tele-Holic

I will say this much...the one single most profound effect from a teacher came from a college philosophy teacher. We had a mid-term paper due, and as usual, I procrastinated with several half-assed false starts. The weekend before it was due on Monday I spent hanging out with friends until I reluctantly parted company with them at 10:00 pm Sunday night at the coffee shop, telling them I had to get busy and finish this term paper as it would count towards 25% of my grade for the class.
    Jacked on coffee, I sat up until 3:30 a.m. before admitting it wasn't gonna happen. Monday came early, and I did not turn in my paper. I figured I'd hit it hard Monday evening and take whatever demerits he would hit me with.
    True to plan, I finished the paper (a home run, too!) on Monday night. I turned it in on Tuesday after class, with an embarrassed apology for being late. He looked me dead in the eye and handed it back without looking at it. "You grade is a zero, sir. A deadline is a deadline". WHAT?!!!!
    Well, I did pass the class with a D, partially due to the B minus I got on my class final term paper...which was turned in two days early, I might add. I held a grudge for a long while, but eventually realized that he was teaching a lesson from the school of hard knocks. Lesson learned.

ravindave_3600 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.