Your worst ocean swimming experience.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ozcal, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

Central coast. Sunset. Going out to sea on the longboard.
    Some super wide rip wanted me to hit the southern current and and say goodbye.

ravindave_3600 and ozcal like this.
  2. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'll play - near-drowning experience off the coast of Mazatlan late in fall of '77.

I was stupid enough about currents and misunderstanding nature's pure indifference to who gets accepted onto the Darwin Award list . . . Jeebus: I'm the reason tourists have a bad reputation.:oops:

lewis, ozcal and dkmw like this.
  3. hollowman

hollowman Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Acapulco, Damn the Pacific is rough, same as Deeve...

4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been around ocean beaches/surf most of my life.... got to many "getting smashed" stories to mention....all of the above...:lol:

surfing, sailing, fishing, etc.... but I rarely go swimming in it... other than a cool down dip if you've been on the beach sunning out...or some shallow water lateral stokes for exercise...or if you lose your board and need to swim to get it, hopefully not all the way to the beach....grrr...

I was never a great pool swimmer either, but loved being in the water messing around jumping/diving...

good for you that saltwater, in more ways that one......;)

ozcal and dkmw like this.
  5. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Snorkelling off Point Lookout Stradbroke Is. in 1968.

Enter the presence of a 10 foot Bronze Whaler shark swimming between my friends and I and the Rocky headland. The shark was about 5 metres away from us as it swam by and I swear it gave a little half turn and looked at us before it continued out to sea.

The swim back to the beach was interesting and I have never been snorkelling since that day.

6. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

In the early 90s I was body boarding in 6' surf at Ocean City MD; the sun was out and the weather was perfect, but there was an offshore hurricane and the swells were really kicking up wave action close to the beach. It was rough. I had a foam Boogie Board on a leash and strap-back fins. I got dumped hard into the worst rip I've ever been in; the water sucked the fins off my feet (the straps broke), and my leash snapped. The board was gone, and I was underwater in about 10' depth, moving very fast. I figured I would drown unless I did something quick, so I started kicking and paddling for the surface as hard as I could.

In the process of paddling for my life I threw my right shoulder out of joint. I did make it back to the beach where my wife was lounging in a chair, oblivious to what had happened. I walked up to her and said, "I need your help to put my arm back in place." When she looked up from her reading and saw my shoulder, she freaked out because my right arm was about 4" lower than normal. I sat in the sand in front of her, used my left arm to put both her feet against my upper right chest, and then handed her the end of my right arm. "I'm gonna count to three," I said, "and it's gonna be one, two, three, pull. You have to pull as hard as you can and kick as hard as you can at the same time. Ready?" She nodded. I counted.

But she was afraid of hurting me more, so she didn't pull or kick very hard, and I saw stars. I also saw several planets. My arm was not fixed, so I told her, "One more time, and if this doesn't work I will pull my arm off and beat you with it." It worked the second time.

Deeve, ozcal, dkmw and 1 other person like this.
  7. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Holic

Man, that's a bit lame for a sandgroper.

Windsurfing at Hells Gates, Gero. Mast high waves, wiped out, broken mast and swim in 2km.

Even that doesn't sound like much unless you know Geraldton. Home of the great white!

ozcal, dkmw and trev333 like this.
  8. trev333

I knew these 2 kiwi surfers from around the Noosa area mid 70's.... saw them again a year or so later after they had been over West...

One's experience at Margies.....

Got smashed on this big one, lost my board, lost my shorts, got tumbled all the way across the reef into the shore break... and had to walk up to the carpark nude, battered and bruised.... to the cheers of the assembled...:lol:

never saw his board,, or his shorts ever again......:rolleyes:

dkmw, Steve 78 and Ess Eff like this.
  9. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Holic

Yup, lots of good times at Margs.

10. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

Bluebottle.

bluebottle.jpg

I used to go to the gold coast each year to visit my granddad. One year when I was about 11 or so, I had a searing pain across the top of one of my fingers. I freaked out and had no idea what it was. I swam in and the lifesavers took me back to the clubhouse to get treated. When the tentacle was removed it left a striped mark showing where it had been. In the clubhouse, there was a little kid, maybe 4 or 5 who had marks across his body showing he had 2 full bluebottles stuck to him, bodies and tentacles. Must've been in agony, poor kid.

A couple of years later I was stung again. I knew what it was so it didn't hurt anywhere near as badly.

11. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

You don't see that stuff on the picture postcards!

ozcal likes this.
  12. richbike

richbike Tele-Meister

diving off Koh Tao as i was stepping on the boat the bastard drove off. i slowly did the splits until i fell in to the diesel and **** soup in the harbour. while the sods running the dive were shouting at me to chuck them their kit bag before it went in.
    later that week the Norwegian DM training me said he was amazed no one had died there yet.

ozcal likes this.
  13. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Yeah, some dodgy outfits in SEA...I’ve been diving in a couple places in the Philippines where they were unnervingly relaxed about stuff like maintenance and supervision...

ozcal likes this.
  14. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

I was six, maybe seven and my parents had taken me and my friend to the beach. it was Southend, on the Thames estuary. It flows into the English Channel, which is one of the busiest shipping lanes in the World.

So, my dad had bought me a fiberglass dugout canoe. About seven feet long with in-built buoyancy tanks either side, it was really stable.

After the usual parent to parent conversation, Mum "they shouldn't go out there by themselves", Dad "they'll be fine", we were allowed to launch.

To cut a long story short, mate and I paddled furiously laughing and joking about what we'd do when we reached France. As a cross channel ferry swept passed, we both remarked how big it was and then, simultaneously turned our gaze towards the beach.............................and realised we could only just see it.

Neither of us admitted until later the shear panic that surged over us when another pretty big vessel passed between us and the shore.

We eventually got to the beach but we had no idea where my parents were. We soon found out as Dad approached with an RNLI guy in tow.

Taken home, grounded for a week and canoe locked in the garage for the rest of the summer. Could have been worse and got great bragging rights at school.

ozcal, Steve 78 and dkmw like this.
  15. trev333

Blue Bottles and jellyfish... I've had them wrapped across my face busting through waves paddling out to surf... not pleasant...:rolleyes::lol:..

Bondi is much cleaner now the shiite pipe was extended 3k's out to sea instead of coming out of the plant on the headland nearby.........and got better filtration installed...:)

Fortunately my first surf at Margies was a relaxed 6 foot affair with an easy swell... I didn't cop it there any worse than any other notable breaks...Bells was kind to me as well....

Blacks at Elliston SA was the most "heart in the mouth taking off " places I've surfed, when it was overhead. :eek:

16. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Meister

Hmm, not as dramatic as some but I had a near-miss in my mid 20's at Aberdyfi. Decided to go for a good long swim and set out across the estuary towards the back of Ynys Las. I swam for about fifteen minutes and began to tire a bit so I turned around in order to head back to where the family were sitting on the beach. I couldn't see them. I looked up and down the beach and the realisation came to me that I was easily a mile along from where I'd set out. The tide and the current had been much stronger than I realised. Never mind, I thought, I'll swim back to the beach and walk back, so I started off towards the beach again.

Fifteen minutes later I was no nearer the beach. The current, wind and tide were all against me and I couldn't make any headway. I was now really beginning to tire and had to stop and tread water. I was, also, a long bloody way from where I'd started. I ended up letting the current take me along the coast until it was weak enough that I could start swimming again and finally made it to the beach, where I then had a long run back to the family.

They hadn't noticed I was gone...

The really silly part was that I was never more than about 400 yards from the beach.

lewis, Deeve and ozcal like this.
  17. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

i grew up by the sea and i learned to swim in it. anyway, i spent about six months in salvador, brazil learning to play congas and surf when i was in my early thirties. i went out for a swim one day when the surf was up, catching the waves and swimming back in. only thing was i went out too far and the current caught me and was pushing me over to a nasty rocky patch of coast. the waves were breaking over my head, pushing me down and i had just enough time to catch a breath before the next one came in. there was no point in swimming, the current was too strong. it eventually threw me up on the rocks with surprisingly little damage but i genuinely thought at that stage i was a goner.

about a month or so later i was walking on the beach and there was a candomble ceremony going on at the beach - festival of lemanja, where everyone was lined up and being cleansed with branches. we were invited in and as the lady got to me she turned around to another and they started pointing at me and the sea. one person in the crowd who spoke english said 'orixá, she threw you back, yes?'

freaky. anyway, i have a lot more respect for the sea goddess now.

lewis, dkmw and trev333 like this.
  18. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Woe..man
    I had never heard of Bondi till recently when watching a documentary about some killings that took place there in the late 80’s-early 90’s(?)
    The film kind of made it sound like a seedy place,I don’t know about now but sounds like it was that way in the 70’s too

What’s a Bondi cigar?

19. trev333

Spent some time in Salvadore mid '85..... would go back to stay longer in a heartbeat,,,:)

we got in with the local capioera guys who did the square up the top of town... and hung out with them most days when they weren't working the crowd...

I spent a whole night helping a guy chisel out a sign for a restaurant in a chunk of timber... the street guys took us to his place for a look and I grabbed a flat chisel and started cleaning up his gouges around the letters....he nodded his approval and grinned... he spoke no english and everyone else went home... just me and the sign guy chiseling out the wood... various people dropping by at all hours to say hello.... I hope that sign is still hanging in town somewhere...:)

dkmw and Fretting out like this.
  20. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

The only “ocean” story I can think of is when in ocean city MD (I could swim since walking and had gone there every year)
    Nothing exciting, I was probably 10 or 11 maybe younger but my sister and I were bodyboarding all day and I guess the tide was going out and we were probably only 20-30 feet or 4 to six yards off the shore, I remember kicking and kicking and kicking and padding... and so forth and it felt like running in place, not going anywhere. I just remember reaching shore after forever, being super tired and actually kind of gained more respect for the ocean at that point and how powerful it can be.
    It was kind of scary at that age.

nope i didn’t almost die or get revived but scared me from going out for a while,
    Now if we were telling pool stories I got one that completely freaked me out.

Edit: just thought of another same location O.C MD, maybe a year or so from the other story in either direction could have been the same year.
    I had gone there for 10-12 years at this point always going in the ocean, and had never seen a jellyfish (anyone who’s been will know you can’t see anything through that murky Atlantic coast water, which may be a good thing)
    Well same scenario sister and I out bodyboarding and I notice a jellyfish so kind of keep on keeping and oh... there’s another one! And another, there must have been a hundred jellyfish drifting around us up the coast (I think it was later in the day so not that many people were in) so we clung to our boards and paddled to shore, have no idea how we didn’t get stung,
    I even went every year till I was 19 and never heard about that many jelly’s since and in all the years I went only saw a shark(from shore) once or twice and dolphins a few times also,

* I’m not sure if dolphins even swim on the Atlantic United States coast but sure looked like dolphins

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    ozcal likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.