Your worst load in/out gig?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by fendrguitplayr, Aug 2, 2018.

1. teledude66

teledude66 Friend of Leo's

Our singer used to hang around, watching us, so one day I loaded my guitar/ amp in first. He said," I thought we got the p.a. set up first?" I said, "yeah, I'm gonna be heard whether p.a. or not, you're the one using it." Never had any trouble since then.

Jakedog, Deeve, dswo and 5 others like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Now my only PITA load in is the beautiful, cool old Driskill Hotel in downtown Austin.
    Parking downtown in parking garages is expensive, street parking scarce, and the entrance near the stage is blocked off.
    I love the venue/gig, but getting in and out is a hassle.
    6th St. is blocked off on most weekends after midnight.
    The pay is marginal, and it's a good thing I don't drink much.
    Drinks are exorbitant.
    End of whine/rant.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  3. Freewheelin_Bob

Freewheelin_Bob TDPRI Member

How was the gig?

I met the piano player that plays with the trio there regularly... said he'd been at the prude for 30 years. I cant remember his name for the life of me. You'd think a 50 floor ride down would be enough for me to remember his name.

fendrguitplayr likes this.
  4. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

There was this place in Lawrence, KS, "Jazzhaus" or something similar to that, load in/out was up a glorified fire escape in the back. It was on the 2nd floor but it seemed like more stairs than that.

...just looked... They're still there, we were last there in 1991 or 92.

Chicago Matt and fendrguitplayr like this.
  5. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

The gig itself went well. Perhaps you mean Tom West?

6. outbreak

outbreak Tele-Afflicted

If you are sick of lugging gear around check out the dv mark cabs, my entire rig is something like 30lbs now including cables and pedals.

I've never had a really bad load in, worst was probably helping the drummer get his kit up a flight of narrow stairs but with everyone chipping in it wasn't too big of a deal.

7. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

I used to go along with a couple of mates to watch then-up-and-coming Aberdonian prog rockers Pallas play at the Dial Inn, Glasgow. We’d stay after the evening show and help with the load out: the venue was in a basement, maybe 20 stairs and no lift.
    I learned that a roadie’s life is not an easy one... a Marshall 4x12 cab is heavy but lugging a genuine Mellotron M400 in a flight case up those stairs was a b!tch..!
    (I actually played there with my band once... we didn’t have anything heavier than the PA columns...)

Chicago Matt likes this.
  8. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Good thing they didn't have a Hammond and a piano too.

AAT65 likes this.
  9. larsongs

larsongs TDPRI Member

For me, it's all of them!!! I absolutely hate that part of Gigs!!!!

10. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Grissom Air Force Base in Northern Indiana, February, 1973. Box truck loaded to the roof, 10 degrees outside, snowing, and the guards made us unload everything at the front gate, open every drum case, suitcase, etc.. Covers off amps, guitar cases open, etc.. Load
    Ed back into the truck and proceeded to the club. Unloaded the truck and set up. After a miserable gig at the NCO Club, during which we were finally forced to turn the p.a. off and sing with no mics. After loading out, everything back into the truck, we got to the gate, where the guards made us unload the truck, where they repeated the drill, forcing us to unpack the truck in the cold and snow for inspection before we could pack up and go home. We got the last laugh, though, because George the drummer managed to steal about 6 half gallons of booze from a store room and load them into a trap case under his stands. The guards didn't see them, so at least we had a small victory...

Jakedog, Wildcard_35, asatfan and 4 others like this.
  11. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

It's a necessary evil.

You wanna play a gig? You have to do the graft.

Mercifully, the last three bands I've been in have all been good at pitching in when drum cases / hardware needs to be moved.

Our bass player recently went from a Bareface 1x15 cab to an Ampeg 4x10.

The Bareface was light as a feather.

The Ampeg is a hernia-in-waiting - but certainly projects more.

Rich_S likes this.
  12. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Little club in DC. It wasn't actually the load in that was so bad, as the lightning strike a couple of minutes after we started playing. A couple of us got minor shocks, and all of our equipment, including my Twin, got fried.

asatfan likes this.
  13. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

I remember schlepping a B3/leslie down the stairs at Wetlands NYC back in the day. Made the guy use his DX-7 the next time there.

asatfan, nojazzhere and Chicago Matt like this.
  14. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

I played DC last night and got shocked! Maybe DC stands for something other than District of Columbia?

asatfan, aerhed and Chicago Matt like this.
  15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I'm thinking that any bass player who owned anything from the 1980's that said "Peavey" on it was having the worst gig load-in/out every time he played.

Jakedog, Wildcard_35 and asatfan like this.
  16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Similar situation in early seventies....Carswell AFB in Ft Worth was a major SAC base, bombers from east coast came through on their way to the west coast before heading to Southeast Asia. (and you know where) We were to play the officer's club, and when we arrived at front gates, there was a big alert drill going on. Usually, when we played there, the sentries checked us in, and we drove on. This time we had to pull over, and open the trailer. They took one look at the FULL trailer, including B3 and Leslie, conferred quietly among themselves, and decided we could go on through. Turned out to be a pretty good gig and crowd....we were surprised, expecting everyone to be on duty for the alert. Incidentally, even though we were all under twenty-one, base bartenders always served us whatever we wanted.

17. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Another Hammond B3 story. Funny how that keeps popping up in this thread. I'll make it brief:
    In the early 70's, the club (Chickasaw Supper Club in Columbus GA) was in the basement down a winding staircase. We were a 4 piece and the lady that played that B3 "didn't do carrying heavy equipment". Three of us got it down to the stage and back up a couple of days later. I still don't know how. I weighed 145 lbs and I don't think any of us weighed as much as 160. Young, wiry lads we were. After that B3, the old wooden Leslie, the SVT head and 8 10s cabinet, and my Twin Reverb with EV SRO speakers seemed like child's play. Oh, to be in my 20's again. ;)

18. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

That's ^^^ just wrong!:cool:

nojazzhere likes this.
  19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

When I have to double on keyboard, I use a Casio Tonebank keyboard (I'd have to dig it out of the closet to give the model #) It is NOT a B3, but it has several really good Hammond voices, Wurlitzer piano, Farfisa, strings and brass, etc. So one ten or twelve lb. 66key instrument covers a lot of ground. I'll usually use a chorus pedal to simulate a Leslie effect....again, it's not a B3.....but I'm not much of a B3 player! (I'm doing good to manage Green Onions, Light My Fire, and Evil Ways)

Chicago Matt likes this.
  20. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I was in a band with a keyboard player whose KB was light and modern, but he used an actual Leslie cab. We were playing a ballroom on a second floor, no elevator. Drummer and I were the only ones there as the rest of the band couldn't get off work. The two of us got that blasted Leslie up the stairs and in position on stage. We let the other band members get it down at the end of the night.

I was in another band with a B-3. He had a dolly for it and if all of us pulled together, we could get it moved fairly easy. Of course we didn't play second floor ballrooms with no elevator. I'm surprised my back is still as good as it is.

nojazzhere and Chicago Matt like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.