Your worst deal ever

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teletail, Feb 13, 2020 at 7:29 AM.

1. clayville

clayville TDPRI Member

In the mid-1970s I sold a 100w Marshall Super Bass head for $225 to fund a Yamaha D-28 knock-off. A year later I snapped the headstock off the acoustic walking down some stairs.
    That Marshall was like the Voice of God and I'd kill to have it back again (and a place where I could crank it up).

2. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Bought a Dano for a good price (actually made a trade for what would have been comparable) but found out that the truss rod was junk and the neck had other issues. Tried to get in touch with the guy and he essentially told me to get bent. I ended up selling it as "parts " to a local shop. Whole situation sucked but everyone gets bit once in awhile

3. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe the tech did it?

But anyway, that's an unfinished story. Did the headstock break off?

4. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

I was with the tech the whole time. He’s the most careful tech I’ve ever seen. Neck is solid. The tech says it will likely never move. It’s a tiny hairline crack, almost looks like a finish crack, but it’s not.

5. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

In 1999 I bought a brand new Zoom 505 multieffect.

It sounds awful and it's nearly impossible to resell it...

Rayf_Brogan likes this.
  6. radiocaster

Then why was it a bad deal?

7. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

Any crack in a neck lowers the value. Who would pay full price for a guitar no matter how small the crack, when there are plenty for the same price without a crack? If doesn't affect playability, but it's a pretty big hit on resale.

8. radiocaster

On the other hand, cracks around the neck pocket on the body are pretty common, and I probably wouldn't expect a discount on that.

9. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

OK, I’ll call you when I’m ready to sell it. :D

10. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

You mean The Edge.

11. slickoneuk

slickoneuk TDPRI Member

Started to ay guitar and needed a bigger amp. My dad's friend said be had a big one he never used, it was mine for 50 pounds. Got it and it was big, heavy and so so loud. Sold it on for 60 pounds and was feeling like a wheeler dealer. A couple of years later I realised that it was a 1960s Vox AC30. I was sick as a dog!

telemnemonics and radiocaster like this.
  12. davo8411

davo8411 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Yep. The Edge. Thanks, was in a hurry.

13. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

In the best deal thread I mentioned my 1966 Deluxe Reverb buy for $70. My worst deal was selling it for $500.

telemnemonics likes this.
  14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I was pretty pleased getting my BFDR for $300 but blew that to hell when I traded it for a ‘77 Strat and subsequently parted out the Strat.

Course, that bad trade was worse ten or so years ago when a BFDR was worth $2000 but a 77 Strat was only worth $1000.
    Now it seems the 77 Strat is up around the value of the Deluxe which is pretty funny given that the BFDR is one of the best things Fender ever made while the 77 Strat is one of the worst things Fender ever made.

Also notable I think is that I bought a 57 Deluxe for $500 around the time that $300 was a screaming deal for a BFDR.
    Not sure where those prices are now but I think the Tweed is worth more than the BF, crazy how dollar value randomly jumps around on the whim of collectors.
    A BFTR was up around $2000 for a while but those dropped while the BFPR soared and the big money is now in the student amp rather than the big pro model.
    AFAIK the Princeton and Harvard were college dorm target market amps.

The Princeton Reverb was once so unpopular they were gutted and most of the amp parts thrown away. I reckon using a BFPR cab and chassis rather than starting from scratch to build a Boogie can be considered a bad deal today ,no matter how good the MKI might be.

15. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I once bought a car from Ford Motor Company using Ford Motor Company Finance at 21% interest... can you say young and dumb, but the car looked like a BMW.

teletail likes this.
  16. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Meister

I swapped a '70s Silverface Twin Reverb and a Crybaby for....

An Epiphone korina Explorer.

The worst thing is I drove nearly a hundred miles to do it.

17. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Around the same time, I bought an ART ECC multi effects board. I just assumed it was good because I didn't know any better, but than thing sucked. Turned me off to anything digital for almost 20 years.

Twang Deluxe likes this.
  18. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

In my own defense: My main gigging amp then was a 1985 Carvin X-Amp which I still own. The 1966 Holy Grail Deluxe Reverb could not stay clean at gigging volume. My bedrock tone is a clean gigging volume. I sold it for that reason. I now own a 2010 Electric Blue Special Edition DRRI which can give me a good clean gigging volume in addition to dirt. I am really better off with the DRRI.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.