Your worst deal ever

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teletail, Feb 13, 2020 at 7:29 AM.

1. scooteraz

scooteraz Tele-Afflicted

Listened to a commodity broker I was skiing with in early 1987. He was predicting a big market crash and noted that over crashes, hard commodities (e.g. gold) and related stocks generally did well. I moved significant money to gold mining stocks. They fell with everything else in the downturn in the fall of 1987, and never recovered. Sold them finally for about $0.15 or $0.20 on the dollar. Yeehaa!

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

In 1990 or so I bought a brand new Ibanez S540 and a Peavey Special 130 for $700. I should have bought a tele and a used champ.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020 at 2:55 PM
  3. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

When I bought a house on a conjoined lot that one of sisters and (now ex) brothers in law also had a house on. They tried to take me for everything at one point saying that I was responsible for things about their house that needed repaired and/or that they wanted renovated. It got real ugly for a couple of years then they divorced.

4. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Bought a "rare custom antique acoustic" off fleabay many years ago for $100.00. my very first online purchase. It was some homemade plywood thing with screws holding the bridge and a painted fretboard. Big lesson on how not to buy online. Went straight in the trash.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm enjoying this thread ten times more than the "best deal ever" thread. Now this is my kinda flexing!

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not saying nobody should do such and I know it can work out, but I find mixing finance with friendship or finance with family is a gamble and I generally prefer to avoid it.

A good example of how bad it can go is I was a part of the Greek community in Lowell MA for some years and my GFs uncle was Mike Demoulas’ lawyer.
    Mike opened a grocery store and grew a pretty big chain with no capital at 5he start. He had poor siblings so he gave each of them a grocery store if their own, for free.
    They all shared the same warehouse for wholesale buying discounts, and eventually the siblings sued him pretty much out of greed.
    The Lawer represented him in court because it was family, but he was not much of a litigator and the siblings hired a spendy litigator out of NYC.
    They pretty much took his empire away from him on technicalities stemming from a trust based sharing of warehouse and wholesale where he was not cheating but simply failed to legally protect himself.

Kriticaster and lammie200 like this.
  7. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Holic

Traded a '65 ES-330TD (the best playing/sounding guitar I've ever owned) for a JCM800 2-12 combo back in '90, as I was getting ready to go out on tour and my Deluxe "wasn't going to be loud enough". The JCM800 was the worst sounding amp I ever owned: never managed to dial it in and it ate EL34's like candy.

On a happy ending note: the friend who eventually wound up with the 330 gave it back to me about nine years ago...yes, GAVE it back to me.

I'm not worthy...

Kriticaster and NewKid like this.
  8. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

About 3 years ago after not playing seriously for about 6 years, I decided to treat myself to a new guitar and amp to get back in the swing; I bought a 2016 Gibson SG faded (and a Vox AC10C1).

The Gibson in the shop wouldn't stay in tune, but I thought that it was old strings, and that it hadn't been played. I bought it for 900Euro (which was already 200Euro more than online). I got it home and it still wouldn't stay in tune - also everytime you moved it the tone wavered like I was pushing on the neck. I also realised that the nut was so badly cut that the slots didn't actually point to the tuners, the contruction was not hugely solid, and it would not hold tune... I went back to playing my number 1 strat as the SG was just unplayable.

After about 4 weeks I gave up and went to the store tech who recut the nut, did a semi-setup, and installed new locking tuners - it performed ok in the shop. But as soon as I got it home it was again untunable. To make matters worse, the neck relief seemed to have a mind of it's own, moving randomly :/

After much faffing about, I tried to return it to the store as a lemon... where they offered me 60% of what I paid as they didn't think it was a fault just 'characteristics'. Or I could have it sent back to Gibson. At the time I was so fed up with the guitar that I took the offer and traded it against a Strat... which I didn't much like either and flipped about 4 weeks later.

All in all, a sorry state, but the silver lining was that it got me back in the guitar groove and I've pretty much played daily again since.

9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

My worst deal was selling my very nice 1973 Strat for $250. It was 1992, so there is that. But, still, I wish I hadn't have sold it.

Buying? Nothing too bad. I've bought a few unworkable projects but they've been pretty cheap (under $100) and usually had parts I could use for something else. I've bought a few pedals that I don't like and never use but that's kind of common.

10. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Apparently, from the other thread, you might want to add the Musicians Friend Lease program to this list of worst deals ever

11. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

my story is a sad one.

it was oh i guess about 1985... i had a pretty nice Jaguar in candy apple red i picked up for a song from a local store. i don't recall exactly what year it was, but a buddy of mine's father took the neck off of it and determined it was pre cbs... anyway, it was simply a wonderful guitar. i should have been satisfied to keep and play it for the rest of my life. but no. while at a pawn shop, a very lovely '83 Rick model 360 caught my eye. it was cosmetically and mechanically like new, and priced at $600... which was not bad at all. i put it in layaway. when the note came due i had a ways to go on it, and you guessed it, i sold the jaguar (to aforementioned friend). so now i had the rick and i was happy... but my bass player was not happy. he hated the rick. eventually, after months of complaint, he persuaded me to trade it for an amazing new piece of technology (he worked at a local music store) the Kramer Ferrington. the one i selected looked like a telecaster, sort of an acoustasonic thing really, but with a terribly 80s pointy headstock. it was a temperamental beast and i didn't get along with it well, but i persevered. we went on a road trip and i took the kramer along. it had a gig bag rather than a true hard case. my bass playing buddy was along on the trip and he loved the kramer. he sat in the back of my car and strummed it all the way from oklahoma to salt lake city, on our way to San Francisco. when we arrived in Salt Lake, i delevered the 3rd passenger in our vehicle, a cute young chickadoo who needed a ride, to an apartment complex that had a gravel/asphalt lot. my good friend stummin the kramer had gotten tired and slid the guitar back into its gig bag, but he neglected to zip it up. he then stuffed it on top of the luggage behind the back seat (we were traveling in a 1982 honda civic wagon). i opened the back hatch to get the girls luggage and out poots the kramer from its gig bag. lower bout hits the pavement/gravel with a bang and it cracks the top seam binding and all, separating it completely. the guitar is now utterly useless, and i quite literally ended up throwing it in a garbage can after a few days...yeah it could probably have been fixed but i didn't even want to look at it anymore.

meanwhile back in Tulsa, my friend who was now the proud owner of the CAR Jag, got his house broken into.. the jaguar was gone. the ricky was gone. the POS kramer was gone.

Kriticaster and NewKid like this.
  12. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My first wife.

13. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

Never had a really bad deal. Most recent was a Mooer Shimverb - cost £37 sold for £31. Seriously that's my worst deal.
    Recent good deals - Tokai Strat cost £40, sold £230.
    Kay Drum Machine - cost £40, sold £120.
    70's SuperFuzz - cost £10, sold £560.

Electric Warrior likes this.
  14. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

15. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Meister

I had a custom made 5 string banjo that I put on consignment with a local "music store" for $600, a month later he calls me and says "your banjo sold," so I went in to collect my money. He hands me like $350, I said "where's the rest?" He says "I had to lower the price to sell it," then after having verbally agreed with me on a 10% commission, he charged a 20% commission. And I never told him he could lower the price either. Needless to say, I don't do business with this snake any more.

16. harpdog

harpdog TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I had a 78 Guild maple jumbo 12 string with abalone slabs and gold tuners. But we were "gettin the BAND back together". Traded it for an L.P. copy and a decent Peavey amp....major regrets

17. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

A $25 clear plastic thing that you were supposed to put on the back of your Les Paul to protect the finish from scratches, etc. I dutifully put it on my first electric, a new ‘75 Les Paul. Took it off a few weeks later, only to find it had melted the finish.

18. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

That sucks! I'm in the tech field and I had a client I was doing IT work for that bought about a half million of Enron stock just before the company went belly up. He was pretty wealthy, but that still hurt.

19. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Late 70’s ultra-linear silverface master-volume Twin Reverb.

I didn’t really lose money on it (I don’t think—it’s hard to remember), but I sunk a whole lotta money into it to make it sound good and it never really did...and yes, I understood how a master volume worked...and I always liked silverface amps (I owned two others at the time)...I think that one was just an all-around turd.

Sold it to a Japanese guy at the Arlington Guitar show, c.1993...

I think I broke even.
    I know I was happy that I didn’t have to take it home.

20. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

After my "good" college band broke I traded this Les Paul for a pair of Sonic 4460 cabinets and a pair or horns for a new PA for a new band that never went anywhere.

I was 22 and stupid.

[​IMG]

I'm sure that these cabs are in a landfill someplace.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.