Your worst deal ever

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teletail, Feb 13, 2020 at 7:29 AM.

1. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

I once bought a Johnson mandolin brand new for 50 bucks.

Dan

Boil likes this.
  2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

That's right. You're supposed to cook for them.

3. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, sometimes I wonder about that too. There is always someone who says Princeton Reverbs go for $500, etc.

teletail likes this.
  4. boris bubbanov

My worst deal was on a cherry red Harmony Rocket, my parents were getting me as a gift so my hands were sort of tied.

In my defense, I played other instruments and sang, then out of the blue I got an invitation to audition for a band - but I needed to play guitar. I knew next to nothing about what I should ask for, and the decision making fell out of my hands. This thing was so bad, it was basically a prop on the bandstand, good for making rhythmic sounds and within weeks, my lessons were taking place with a borrowed guitar.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020 at 10:39 AM
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

When my very old Briggs and Stratton generator finally bit the dust, I bought a modern fancy dancy portable Kawi generator basically to run my table saw and planer (living off the grid). The new generator wouldn't start in the winter right from the beginning and then some component blew out in a spendy internal PCB and then when the next thing failed (still looking like new and with very few hours on it) I just took it to the dump. I've got a key start Honda now for about the same price that is awesome.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My worst deal ever?
    Trying the dope!
    Subsequently lost every piece of gear to sale, pawn, and storage space auction.
    Any minor losses since are insignificant!

7. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

There are several...but the Great Bass Gear Purge of '95 thru '97 is a standout:

1974 Fender Jazz Bass - Blocks, binding, original case - $300
    1978 Music Man StingRay - pre-Ernie Ball - $350
    1981 Rickenbacker 4001 - Mapleglo, mirrored pickguard - $400
    197? Kustom 100 tuck 'n roll amp and cab - metallic blue - $100
    197? Ampeg SVT - w/ 8x10 cab - Traded for a Risson 50 watt half stack that I promptly blew up and never got fixed. It's probably still in my buddy's garage.

Yeah...Well over 10 grand worth of gear..all let go for next to nothing because I decided I wanted to be a guitar player instead.

Which brought with it a whole new string of bad decisions. :lol:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 12:00 PM
    drlucky, NewKid and gregulator450 like this.
  8. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

I traded my Taylor 512C and my first Tele for a Taylor NS72, a nylon string hybrid. I thought it was the best of both worlds at the time.

I have blocked out whatever happened to the Taylor Nylon.

Eventually, I returned to having a great acoustic (Froggy Bottom Parlor) and now three Teles.​

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020 at 12:32 PM
  9. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

about 5 years ago, I bought off eBay (I know - I know) a used Lucille Epiphone from Las Vegas, NV for around 470.00 with an Epiphone hard shell case, delivered. Long story short it was worn out when I got it, fingerboard was separated from neck at headstock, big crunch mark on top edge of headstock and it gets worse from there. It turns out it was a Chinese lawsuit copy, circuit board Varitone inside with twin rectifiers one of which "smoked" itself on setting number four (why number four I will never know) - at the same time (of the meltdown) it was being played in Stereo into two Champion 100 amps - it subsequently reduced both amps into digital rubble.

Grrr...:mad:

BAH Humbuckers!

drlucky and telemnemonics like this.
  10. boris bubbanov

I think this is why my brother (bass player) simply refuses to show any interest in guitars. He doesn't want to get sucked in.

Why, there's nice guitars of mine at his home, and he won't even open the cases - no matter how many invitations I make to him.

He's an "all or nothing" type of guy like this. He won't dabble. He was a superb trombonist and then one day, he quit cold turkey and sold all the horns except one. And he's never played a note on one since.

gregulator450 likes this.
  11. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Put a guitar up for sale at a consignment store. Went to check a couple weeks later and the store was no longer in business. And all instruments had disappeared. :eek:

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ouch!
    I left a trumpet on consignment at a music store and it must have been two years later I got a check in the mail for $175.
    Paid $50 for the trumpet at a flea market.

drlucky and koen like this.
  13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I gave a guy from TDPRI an incredible deal on a very nice, original Vox Tonebender because he was supposed to meet one of his heroes, Jimmie Page, and he wanted to get it autographed by Page.
    I'm having a hard time not calling his name...
    Well...the Page thing never happened and when I suggested he sell it back to me for a similarly great deal...no dice.
    Monetarily, maybe not the worst deal, but, personally, it really hurt.

14. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Firefly DC Junior. I came close to using it for firewood.

bender66 and Ducerro like this.
  15. davo8411

davo8411 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

In the early 80's I traded my Gibson Explorer PLUS $100 (looks exactly like the one Bono is known for) for a Korg Poly 800 synthezier. The Poly 800 was gone within the year. I really wish I had kept that Explorer and wonder where it is to this day. I also wonder what year model it was etc.

16. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

My 1st Fender Stratocaster USA that I bought new in 1994.

-tbln

17. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I moved from Detroit to Boulder Co. in 1977 with my new wife and baby. My only instrument was a bottom of the line Yamaha acoustic with gold Grover tuners someone had gave me. Boulder had this cool little music store /pawn shop full of used instruments. Vintage wasn’t much of a thing then. He had a Epi Coronet with a single P90 for $100. I traded him my Yamaha for it. He really liked the Grover’s on the Yamaha. Fair trade but I had no amp and no money. A friend of mine told me he had an old accordian amp in his basement and I could have it. It was a suitcase size Supro maybe a 10” speaker, I didn’t know about that kind of stuff back then. Boy that Epi and Supro just screamed together. Then one day the amp started to smoke and died. Took it to a music store and was told the transformer blew and they could replace it for I think it was $69. My car had just died, we had a one year old baby with no health insurance so I took the amp home and tossed it in a dumpster in the trailer park we lived in. Maybe 10 years latter I realized what a bone head move that was and what a great amp it was. By the way I traded the Coronet for a Japanese acoustic guitar since I couldn’t afford another amp. It was a bad year for gear.

NewKid and telemnemonics like this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Against the all odds of the universe, another guy and I made the worst deal of our lives simultaneously! I traded a Nash station wagon for a Chevelle station wagon. A couple of days later, the engine started knocking, I dropped the pan, and found bad problems. I pulled the engine, and right after I did that, I got a call from the guy I traded with who called me a dirty rotten SOB because the engine in his Nash cratered!

I told him if you want to trade back, you're gonna have to pull the engine in the Nash, and have it towed over to my house, and tow your Chevelle back home, but bring a pickup to haul the engine in 'cause it's sitting on the floor of my garage. He gurgled few unintelligible phrases, and hung up, I never heard from him again.

I was working as a mechanic at that particular time in my life, so I took the engine from the Chevelle over to my shop and did a major overhaul on it, even improved the performance a little since I bored it thirty over, and put some Jahn's racing pistons in it. (why? I haven't a clue) I turned the crank ten thousandths, and got her all back together, and my wife most sincerely hated that car.

19. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

lied 354.jpg

My worst (so far anyway) has been both of my Epiphone amplifiers. I always loved the looks of the old vintage Electar amps, but ended up buying the new re-issue "inspired by" Electar when it was released. The reviews were all very positive and sound clips sounded good, but the amp had the worst idle hum of any amp I have ever owned. I sent it back and received a replacement....same damn loud hum which made it absolutely useless. I ended up paying a pro to correct it and that cost me more than what I paid for the amp...and the tone still was prettly uninspiring. Looks great, it is almost a dead ringer to their vintage models, but just not a good tone. Not bad through a better cab, but not great.

So, I jumped at the chance to buy a real vintage Epiphone Century. It was all original and was a display item in a jazz museum that went bankrupt. A true 1947 right down to the original tubes and the owner provided video of it in operation...sounded good. Well, it arrived 3 days later with a boot print and a hole in the box. When I picked it up, you could hear lots of broken glass. The amp must have been dropped from height or something as the speaker tore away from the baffle and smashed all the tubes as well as popping the back panel off in 2 corners. I was furious and all FedEx would do was offer to refund the shipping costs. My amp man is a 40 year veteran with Fender and he saved it. Repaired the baffle and panel, serviced the amp, and replaced with vintage tubes of the late '40's to early '50's, and had it running again. The grill cloth was loose though and he didn't want to risk trying to stretch it, so that flaw remains. Sounds really good, but ended up costing me a small fortune in the end. Worse yet is that I rarely use it for fear of losing the original Rola field coil speaker and needing to make new repairs.

In the end, over $2,000 spent on display items....not well thought out.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020 at 7:17 PM
  20. scooteraz

scooteraz Tele-Afflicted

As written here, there are 2 trades. 1) the wife for the 2x21 year olds and 2) the 2x21 year olds for the wife. Not clear from the verbiage which of the two trades was the worst....LOL

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.