Your worst deal ever

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teletail, Feb 13, 2020 at 7:29 AM.

1. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

The thread about the best deal ever got me to thinking about my worst deals. I’ll start, embarrassing as it is.

I was lusting for an ES-175 for years and finally decided to pull the plug. I found a beautiful Steve Howe model on eBay for $2,200 shipped. I bought it and had it for about a month when I decided to get a setup from my tech. He gets it all set up and it plays even better than before and sounds perfect. Then he says, I wouldn’t even worry about that hairline crack in the neck.

I still don’t know for sure if I did it or it came that way, but it was really hard to see and I may have missed it in my excitement, which is probably what really happened.

I also had a friend that bought a mid 80’s Les Paul Custom for $1,200 on eBay. He kept thinking there was something off with it and after some research found out it was one of a batch of Chinese fakes. DOH!!

2. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

My first in-store guitar buying experience was at a GC. I decided I wanted the used Cort CJ-7X...told the guy to wrap it up. He dinged it on the way to the counter. I bought it anyway, at their asking price (I'm not saying what that was, but I've never paid more than 2/3 that much for a guitar since). If I only knew then what I know now. 16 years later, it is still a pretty and great sounding guitar, and I've gotten my money out of it...but the lesson remains.

Steve Holt and teletail like this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

When I was about 16, I traded a SF Princeton Reverb for a cheap 5 string banjo.
    Duh!
    My all time worst was trading my great 1969 Marshall 100W Plexi head to (the late) Kenny Cordray for a then new Mesa Boogie 100W (Mark I) head, in 1975.
    I HATED that Boogie, but at the time, the MB was the rage, and getting all the press for being the ultimate rock amp.
    Double Dumb!

4. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

1st guitar was an Epiphone SG that I paid full price, like $400 back in 1997. When I think of the great stuff I could have found used for that price, it kills me.

People think fondly of their first guitar. Mine was just a lesson about a fool with money.

5. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

Ibanez RG7421PB Special Run . 600 $ at local store while RG7421 cost 450$ average. My 150 $, seriously i was dumb

6. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

I had a friend who in 1976 sold his mid 60’s ES-335 for $250 so he could buy a Gibson L6-S for $300. Ouch!

7. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Holic

traded my 42 year old wife in for (2) 21 year old titty bar dancers. they didnt know how to wash clothes cook or get up in the morning. just wore me out. had to move and let em have the mess after a few weeks. went back to my ex beggin for mercy and let me come back home :). it cost me but i got back in the house.. worst deal I ever made

kuvash, jman72, Violeiro and 19 others like this.
  8. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

In terms of dollars lost it was a 65 Tremolux. 5 years ago I bought it at market value. Very nice condition but I never used it much. When I went to sell it I spent nearly a year trying to sell it and lost a bunch. That deal stung because I wasn’t expecting to lose.

9. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

With the crap market today, I pretty much always expect to lose money on a sale. The last thing I didn’t lose money on was a Gretsch 6120 which was in cherry condition. I sold it for what I paid for it. Other than that, I haven’t had much luck selling equipment.

Seems like whenever I buy it’s a sellers market, whenever I sell it’s a buyers market.

10. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

All I’m gonna say is don’t “sell” anything to anyone who can’t pay you open delivery.
    Even if you have successfully done business with them for years.

Hear what I say.

11. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

Sounds like a great deal to me....

Fretting out and teletail like this.
  12. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I tend to hedge my bet by buying used, so I never really lose my shirt. But I never manage to find "steals" either, like other people do. The most I ever lost was on Gibson Les Paul Studio. I thought I stole it for $600 (including hardshell case). But it turned out I just could not sell that guitar. It took months and months. Factoring in the Reverb commission, I probably ended up losing $100.

13. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Well that's quite a story. I'm guessing the main appeal of 21 year old titty bar dancers is not their cooking and cleaning skills.

Kriticaster, stepvan, drlucky and 3 others like this.
  14. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

When I was 7 or 8 ( 1966?) an older neighbor kid got me to trade my dime for a nickel.
    " A nickel is bigger!"

Things have gone downhill ( with $$l) since then.

fretWalkr, NateD81, Muku and 5 others like this.
  15. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

GMC Yukon. Wanted one for years and when I could finally upgrade to one, it was the worst lemon of a vehicle I ever had. I put thousands a year into it after warranty before finally trading it off for a song - good riddance. Note, this is not a post against GM vehicles or quality - all manufactures make the occasional lemon. My best vehicle was also a GM (Uplander). That thing was like a tank and never cost me anything but fluid maintenance, tires, filters and brakes.

smoothrecluse and ale.istotle like this.
  16. d barham

d barham Tele-Holic

bought a little mesa boogie amp used for around $600 as an impulse buy. Had to use it that night for a fiddle gig. Something was bad wrong with the amp, it was truly awful. Took it back. Weeks later I called the shop the guy said, 'oh yeah, it's ready.

Picked it up the second time, seemed to be ok. Went to use it at a show and it sounded like crap. Took it back to the shop. Weeks later, called to check on it. 'yeah, I figured out what was wrong with it. It's ready'.

Picked it up the third time. Never even plugged it in. Took it to a guitar show and sold it for $400.

17. Fendarr

Fendarr TDPRI Member

My first amp was a silver face Champ my Grandpa gave me when I was 15. Being a dumb kid and in the late 80’s I wanted something with all kinds of wacky effects and terrible distortion. I had a friend drive to a local music store that was here at the time, and the owner went on to tell me the amp (which was in perfect working condition and looked basically new) was only worth $30. I sold it to him and my Grandpa wasn’t happy, to say the least. He took me back a few hours later to get my amp back but the owner “already sold it”. My Grandpa was a big reason I got into playing guitar and it bothers me to this day that I sold it.

stevemc and stepvan like this.
  18. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

My worst was trading a 60's Tele in on a Gretsch Country Club that I thought at the time I had to have. I think I had to add some cash as well. I think the Country Club was a second or something. In the late 70's a 60's Tele was pretty common and not all that valuable.

Bassman8 and JIMMY JAZZMAN like this.
  19. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

Well sometimes there’s what you paid and then there’s what you say you paid. There was a guy on another forum who said he never lost money on a deal in his whole life. Kind of made me wonder what else he lied about. :D

20. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

I had a Gibson Sg custom, like the one in the photo. Was my first really good guitar, and my only guitar for like 7-8 years. I think I had thousands of hours of playing into it. Sold it to my roommate around 1999 for like 800$. He was into a guitar trying period, and traded it to a guitar center a couple weeks later, before he even paid me in full.. :) I often wonder about where it can be now.. At least I used the money to buy my Gibson 335 which I still have and enjoy!

Attached Files:

Kriticaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.