Your Two Favorite Tom Petty Songs---->

wacolo

Tele-Afflicted
These two always did it for me. Along with all of the others already mentioned.

For sheer fun funkiness...

And I always thought this was just a great tune.

flathd

Poster Extraordinaire
Won't Back Down, Even the Losers, and many many more.
Some Tom Petty humor on the Larry Sanders Show. (Garry Shandling) Was a great show, IMO. RIP Tom and Garry.

Tom & Garry hangin' out

Last edited:

SlimGrady

Tele-Meister
Can I even pick just two? that is a hard task but I suppose the two I am playing the most of right now is
Listen to Her Heart
American Girl
The list goes on and on with him though

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's

Let me state out the outset that I don't really approve of the line "Let's roll another joint."

Having said that, there's a lot to like about this cut. I like the use of the guitar through the Leslie speaker. I also like the sound of the Fender-Rhodes or Wurlitzer electric piano, whichever one it is. Then there's Tom's shameless imitation of Neil Young with the harmonica, the hat, and the bobbing up and down.

Warning: There might be some shenanigans going on in the background.

I came across this, believe it or not, after live-streaming a church service. There was a We the Kingdom song that I thought the praise band did it in the style of that Tom Petty song.

Interestingly enough, in the We the Kingdom video for the song, a guitarist is wearing the Neil Young hat and playing riffs not totally different from Young's in For What It's Worth.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I don't have any Tom Petty music. I need to rectify that. Back when he was on the radio so muc Like Pink Floyd, I don't have any of theirs either.

I always really liked Listen To Her heart and Don't Do Me Like That which the band does, or did, the guy that sang it moved to Delaware.
FWIW, this is a 4 CD anthology that was put together by Mike Campbell, Benmont Tench, Ryan Ulyate (studio guy) and Tom's wife and daughter after Tom passed. It's a collection or unreleased versions, live versions and album material tweeked. I'm not usually too enthusiastic about retrospectives but this one is very good. 90% of the time when I feel like listening to TP I go for this collection. It's a great tribute. YMMV.

1650121931724.png

:)

nvilletele

Friend of Leo's
I saw Tom Petty and the Heartbeakers in Tokyo in 1981. I think Damn the Torpedoes was their latest album at that time.

I always loved the song Refugee. My no. 2 would have to be Dont Do Me Like That, but of course I really like lots of other ones on later albums too.

(And let’s also not forget all those great Wilburys tunes.)

I once heard or read somewhere that when Roger McGuinn first heard the song American Girl, he was very puzzled and said or thought “Hmm, I don’t remember recording that one. When could I have done that?”

I used to think that it was a cover of a McGuinn song, until I later learned it was not.

bender66

Poster Extraordinaire
I like the early stuff best. Anything from his first 3 albums. That's when the band and Tom seemed to be at their most creative. Every cut on those first 3 albums is good.
Couldnt agree more. Contrary to popular opinion getting hooked up with Jeff Lynne saw the rock disappear. I cant listen to that tripe.

Mike Campbell is Mike Campbell regardless. I'll forgive him for Boys Of Summer.

itstooloudMike

Tele-Meister
Mary Jane’s Last Dance
The Waiting

But there are so many more that I love just as much. TP really carried the genre of what I consider great rock music, long after I thought it was all history. He made me believe there was a future for great rock music. Not sure now. Such a huge talent. I miss him.

Dan R

Poster Extraordinaire
Straight Into Darkness

About To Give Out

Really too many to name. Honorable mentions: Runaway Trains, Dogs On The Run.

TP & the HBs are more or less the soundtrack of my life. I thought Tom did a great job of being a rock n roller and popular at the same time. He did this almost as well as the Beatles and Stones. I miss him every day.