Your Two Favorite Tom Petty Songs---->

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
Z
the mudcrutch record is crazy good. when it came out my son was playing on a high level travel baseball team and we traveled all over the west for his games from Ca, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, Utah, it was crazy... the constant that summer was the mudcrutch record. We loved 'The Wrong thing to do' maybe best. My son would sing it really loud and with lots of vigor on the first verse:

Well, my daddy took me campin'
Out under the stars
Left me by the fire
While he hit the bars
And I broke my finger
On a trailer hitch
Mamma called daddy
That son of a *****, a
the mudcrutch record is crazy good. when it came out my son was playing on a high level travel baseball team and we traveled all over the west for his games from Ca, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, Utah, it was crazy... the constant that summer was the mudcrutch record. We loved 'The Wrong thing to do' maybe best. My son would sing it really loud and with lots of vigor on the first verse:

Well, my daddy took me campin'
Out under the stars
Left me by the fire
While he hit the bars
And I broke my finger
On a trailer hitch
Mamma called daddy
That son of a *****, alright
Wow , that’s some serious work you guys put into that baseball team. Great that you could both do that together. And great that u had good tunes

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Z

Wow , that’s some serious work you guys put into that baseball team. Great that you could both do that together. And great that u had good tunes

more than 50 times, my son has told me 'thanks for playing merle haggard, buck owens, beatles, byrds, waylon, shawn colvin, linda ronstadt, and tp & mudcrutch. When he'd be on a hitting streak, we'd play the same songs, and he had a couple of good ones.. we played 'I don't scare easy a LOT for about 2 weeks.

now, he is a high school baseball coach and a teacher and we talk almost every day about his games (which he has told me he loves coaching more than he loved playing and he LOVED to play) and we talk guitar and music too.

those were great days, but our phone calls about teaching and coaching blow my mind... just the richest experiences I'll ever have.

Old Verle Miller

Tele-Meister
I honestly can't think of enough Tom Petty songs that I could pick two favorites. He was one of those mega-stars that just didn't click with me over the years. Like so many artists in a crowded galaxy, a lot of his stuff got skipped by hitting the buttons when it came on - searching for something better on the radio.

Such is taste.

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
more than 50 times, my son has told me 'thanks for playing merle haggard, buck owens, beatles, byrds, waylon, shawn colvin, linda ronstadt, and tp & mudcrutch. When he'd be on a hitting streak, we'd play the same songs, and he had a couple of good ones.. we played 'I don't scare easy a LOT for about 2 weeks.
Awesome, and that’s another great song !

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I honestly can't think of enough Tom Petty songs that I could pick two favorites. He was one of those mega-stars that just didn't click with me over the years. Like so many artists in a crowded galaxy, a lot of his stuff got skipped by hitting the buttons when it came on - searching for something better on the radio.

Such is taste.
that is so sad! to miss out on someone so talented. He is one of those artists artists that everyone respected and loved his music. Maybe sometime you'll go back and try again, it is all about when you are ready!

Old Verle Miller

Tele-Meister
that is so sad! to miss out on someone so talented. He is one of those artists artists that everyone respected and loved his music. Maybe sometime you'll go back and try again, it is all about when you are ready!
You may be right. No question about the talent involved but the songs just didn't grab me like they grabbed so many others.

Guithartic

Tele-Holic
1) "Maryjane's Last Dance"

2) "Learning to Fly" (not a favorite). A buddy of mine worked ground crew in civil aviation and used to fuel Petty's plane.
That’s cool about your buddy. Mine would be Mary Jane’s Last Dance and a tie between The Waiting and I Won’t Back Down.

Last edited:

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
This morning it’s Mary Jane’s Last Dance and Stop Draggin’ My Heart Arround. This afternoon maybe something else, tomorrow? Who knows

Too much great music to be able to pick two

DekeDog

Tele-Afflicted

Such is taste.

To each his own. I remember when TP first came out, I thought that this guy is reviving Rock'n'Roll in the vein of Buddy Holly. He's got it all... lyrics, melodies, great guitar work, simplicity. IMO, to deny TP's greatness is to reject R'n'R in its purest form. Never saw much use in posting that I don't like someone's work unless I'm being asked to rate someone.

Last edited:

feldkeen

Tele-Meister
Not many people know this about me. But I was tortured by Tom Petty. I had a room mate who saw Tom Petty in a bar in Milwaukee in late 79. And raved about it. And shortly after that Damn the torpedoes came out and flooded the airwaves. Impressive leap from the bar gig. Then when he bought the album it was the only album he owned and would not stop playing it. It started to drive me nuts. I couldn’t take it anymore, but found the courage to hang on. I’ve had trouble trying to live a normal life ever since.

Oh breakdown and stop dragging my heart around. (Psychotic reaction)

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter

Such is taste.
I get where you're coming from. I never really 'skipped' their stuff, but outside of one orr two songs, nothing by Radiohead has ever really grabbed me.

Skub

Poster Extraordinaire
I was watching a concert recently of TP and the Heartbreakers. They did a cover of the old Peter Green/Fleetwood Mac song 'Oh Well'. Man it rocked. I'm very particular with Peter Green song,this one blew me away.

I'm also in the camp of 'there are too many great songs' to pick two,anyway I'm fickle and it would change from day to day. TP is one of the few artists where I can put any album on to play and never want to skip tracks.

That's pretty damn special.