Your Top 3 favorite Bass guitar players

Twang-ineer

Tele-Holic
Three Favorite - not the three best, but these three are my favorites
Steve Bailey - AKA - The bassist of bassists (or at least Victor Wooten thinks so)
Dee Murray - Bassist for Elton John
Ron Wood - Bassist in the Jeff Beck Group

Just FYI
Greg Rzab .... a real close 4th to Woody - just so much feel, a pleasure to be in the room with.

dlew919

Doctor of Teleocity
Jaco
Jack Bruce
McCartney

Jamerson
Joe Dart
Victor Wooten

Esperanza Spalding
Amanda Jenkins (you haven't heard of her yet, but you will)
Suzi Quatro

John Deacon
John Entwhistle
Walter Becker

vespa1

Tele-Meister
Ray Brown
Graham Maby
Duck Dunn
James Jamerson
Aston "Family Man" Barrett
Bosco Mann
Matt Freeman
Pauls McCartney and Simonon

Wheelhouse

Tele-Holic
No love for Billy Sheehan? I think he's a monster bassist.

Chris Squire is amazing, and Geddy Lee is too.

And great to see somebody else included Tony Levin, even if the Chapman Stick is not exactly the same as a "bass guitar."

Doomguy

Tele-Holic
I'd love to include Les Claypool as I love him, but he doesn't give me the same visceral response that the others that I'm mentioning do.

Al Cisneros
Geezer Butler
Tim Bagshaw (Electric Wizard's first few records and singles)

middy

Friend of Leo's
Jaco, Jamerson, and McCartney. All three are masters of flow and the language of music in their respective styles. They could all literally play the perfect bass line for a hit record in one take, first try.

Spox

Tele-Holic
Of the ones I saw live..

Jean Jaques Burnell
Norman Watt Roy
Doug Wimbish
Brian Ritchie
Rainy
Lemmy

amongst others who I will remember and feel bad about

Of ones I never saw live

John Entwhistle
Bruce Foxston
James Jamerson
Phil Lynott
Aston Family Man Barret
Bootsy Collins

Twang Deluxe

Tele-Afflicted
Herbie Flowers (Serge gainsbourg Je t'aime; Lou Reed Walk on the wildside)
Ladi Geisler (Bert Kaempfert knack bass)
Carol Kaye

Last edited:

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
I remember really enjoying this programme on the bass, presented by Tina Weymouth. It concentrated on the unsung non-superstar bassists, like James Jamerson, Carol Kaye and Herbie Flowers. Sadly the version available on YouTube is heavily cut for copyright reasons.

teletail

Friend of Leo's
Chis Squire, Geddy Lee, Geezer Butler, Mel Schacher, John Paul Jones.

I was a bass player in the 70’s. I get sick when I see what passes for bass playing today.

It’s interesting that many of the bass players mentioned here are not the root/fifth players, but actually play some interesting lines.

Go over to TalkBass and many of them get their panties in a knot at the thought of having to actually play something interesting.

526THz

Tele-Meister
Since I started as a bassist this is a hard one for me…. But I would say:
- John Paul Jones
- Billy Sheehan
- Marcus Miller

+ John Deacon

aging_rocker

Poster Extraordinaire
...Danny Thompson...
I haven't read the whole thread, but skimmed it enough to see most of the players I would have posted (e.g. Norman Watt-Roy, Pino, Tony Levin) get a mention already.

But great to see Danny Thompson acknowledged, although he's not a bass 'guitarist' - his work with folks like Richard Thompson, Nick Drake and John Martyn (amongst many others) has been epic.

aging_rocker

Poster Extraordinaire
And I don't think I saw Derek Forbes mentioned? Apologies if I missed it, but he has long been one of my favourite bass players.

I first saw him/them around the time this video was recorded in 1979 - pretty rare early Simple Minds in decent quality!

ficelles

Tele-Holic
But great to see Danny Thompson acknowledged, although he's not a bass 'guitarist'

Danny Thompson was actually hired to play bass guitar for just one tour, for Roy Orbison - on the same bill as the Beatles - in 1963. Not sure if he's played one since.

I was lucky enough to catch a Richard Thompson show with Danny on bass a few years back.

Last edited:

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
Three… it’s not possible! How about

* Tony Levin — for work with just about everyone, with Stick Men and King Crimson a highlight
* Trey Gunn — again for his time with King Crimson, some of it alongside Levin, but amazing stuff on the last two studio albums and the associated tours — listen to Heavy ConstruKction
* Geddy Lee — because Rush. And my wife would kill me if I didn’t include him 😀

But so many other of course… it’s not right to miss out Chris Squire, Mike Rutherford, John Wetton, Jonas Reingold, Leland Sklar, Paul McCartney, Pino Palladino, Guy Pratt, Benjamin Lazar Davis, John Giblin, John Deacon, Colin Greenwood, House Of Lords,…

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
My older son is now 32 y/o and he has been playing the bass guitar for 20 years nonstop.. and he is -VERY- good! I'm extremely proud. He recently told me that these are his personal top 3 favorite bass players, and gave me these songs as evidence.

John Entwistle

Les Claypool

Victor Wooten

All 3 players are tremendous!

My son unfortunately never got to see John live, but he has seen Les Claypool live several times, and in a few weeks we're both going to go see Victor Wooten live together for the first time... should be an amazing show!

But just curious, what are your personal top 3 favorite bass guitar players?
Good choices for sure but tell him to listen to John Paul Jones on Led Zeppelin II. The entire record is a masterclass in playing Bass guitar.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Also saw Willie Dixon playing upright bass at Fat City in Pittsburgh ...back then. He didn't need no frets!

Attachments

• WillyTicket.jpg
    WillyTicket.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 6