1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Your Tone

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by GreatDaneRock, Jan 15, 2021.

1. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I, too, really quickly became to nail down my sound when I began to write my own stuff. For about 10 years, I did originals only, which is pretty rare for a Blues band. In the past couple years I feel like I've established my own thing enough to start adding some covers without a hint of feeling like I need to sound like the original...or anybody other than myself.
    I also think that anybody who created art necessarily feels a certain amount of dissatisfaction. If you felt like you'd arrived at your destination, there would be no reason to keep striving.
    My son is a total genius musician...child prodigy...now he's 29 and doesn't play at all. The dissatisfaction was too much for him.

GreatDaneRock likes this.
  2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don’t think about tone that much.

I definitely end up dialing everything to sound and feel basically the same so maybe I have a sound.

All I care about:

1. Enough volume for the band
    2. Good master volume
    2. Excellent dynamics
    3. Sufficient mids

I don’t get hung up on anything else.

Dirt from the amp. Roll back for cleans. Plethora on the floor for leslie, delay and boost.

3. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Thanks @charlie chitlin I never thought of that. I have a mini toggle on my Strat with VN pickups to give me that. I never thought I needed it with my FCS with CS ‘69 pickups but it’s worth a try when I change strings. The wiring is so neat with everything tied together so nicely that I hate to mess with it, but I really want to give it a try. I so rarely use position 4 that it’s like a throw away to me.

4. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I don't think there is such a thing as "my tone".

5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Let’s see
    The right
    Preamp tube
    Phase inverter tube
    Power tubes
    Rectifier tube
    Amp
    Speaker cab material
    Speaker
    Guitar cord
    Boost
    Od1
    Od2
    Guitar
    Bridge pu
    Neck pu
    Guitar neck material
    Guitar body wood
    Strings
    Tone cap imp
    Wiring scheme
    Pick

did I forget anything. So I guess always looking. Lol. Sort of there though. :)

6. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

:cool:
    I’ve tried the 5153 amps. They kick ass but the original 5150 has a certain rawness to it that the new version misses. The 5153 is better overall and more useable but I’m a hold out for the oldie :cool:

7. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not really good enough to have a tone. I just try to emulate the tone of the song I'm playing.

8. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

The thing that put the biggest dent in my GAS and my mistaken impression that my tone needed fixing was plugging straight in to the amp and playing it on 10. The tone I was seeking was in the amp's power, not in the pedals.

9. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

May I respectfully ask why? Genuinely interested in hearing your opinion.

10. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

I'll say it again, we've helped build a multi-million dollar industry out of nothing but G.A.S., LOL.

uriah1 likes this.
  11. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

100% guarantee you that if you stick with it, start writing some material, you will eventually arrive/discover your tone, your own thing.

12. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

Good for ya brother, that seems to work for many that can crank up their amps. Do you have to use attenuators at home to get the same "feeling" from the amp (sag, harmonics, etc), or do you just blast it out loud? If so careful with tinnitus, it's no joke.

Edit: your screen name is so appropriate for this thread discussion, LOL

soundchaser59 likes this.
  13. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

Depends who is home. If I'm home alone I can run raw amp power. Recording late night I have the speaker in a home made mic booth, and an empty main floor between me and the upstairs bedrooms. I can even play in there and use my phone to control Reaper. If I do that then I can get the desired effects with the volume on 4 or 5.

That's where the Earasers come in handy! But if all else fails I have used the Rockcrusher to record some tracks.

14. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Conversely every tone is my tone. I don't use one tone. I don't use one guitar I don't use one amp. I play different styles of music.

15. 4wotitswurth

4wotitswurth TDPRI Member

I knew mine (tone, technique, whatever) had arrived once I found it much more satisfying to simply play and not bother anymore, imitating, following along with whatever was on as a backing... the skills, however rudimentary had reached a point where I could entertain myself and ‘wallow’ in the sound.... god, it has taken an awfully long time, different for others I’m sure.

16. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

I like it when my guitar sounds good through whatever I'm playing it through. I like to mess around with effects, so I use a multi-effect box that has a huge list of them available. Sometimes, I'll hook it up to the computer software and build a patch, or adjust an existing preset. It can be fun, but I'd rather play with some other people and see what we can do together. I generally don't play covers, so I'm not trying to emulate anybody else's tone. I just like hearing what comes out, and then twisting a knob or 2 to see if I like that a little better. As long as it works well with what we're playing, I'm good.

17. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

My tone (currently) is P90s playing through a clean chimy amp with a ton of high quality pedals. I keep that base tone and affect it to suit the song.

18. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I played off and on for 30 years and then I’ve played regularly for the past 25 years. I have a tone that I prefer but it’s pretty generic and m6 compositional skills are less than cringe worthy.
    I just like playing other folks music so I’m fine with emulating those artists.

Cali Dude and GreatDaneRock like this.
  19. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

I think you need to get out more.

20. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

✓ Clean
    ✓ touch o'verb
    ✓ not loud

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.