1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Your Thoughts on the Hipshot B with G

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by FlyingV, Nov 12, 2009.

1. FlyingV

FlyingV TDPRI Member

I'm thinking of putting the hipshot on my Tele, but would like your thoughts on which one - the B or the B and G. I've never played with one, so from experience do any of you find yourself using the G very much. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks

2. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Banned

3. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Parsons White on one tele and a hipshot on another.
    I prefer the Parsons but the Hipshot is more utilitarian.
    I am currently putting a G bender arm on the hipshot.
    I really do enjoy the Hipshot and can't wait to get the G arm. I think that you will find more use for the B as opposed to the G.
    A lot of steel licks seem to bend this string. YMMV

4. varakeef

varakeef Tele-Afflicted

Get it with the G lever as well. It won't harm even if you don't end up using it - althou I'm sure you will.

Consider the whole package with drop E to D switch too. It's a good option too.

5. drjordan

drjordan Tele-Meister

I never played a Hipshot, so I can't give any advice about that. But I was shopping for a Tele with a B-bender and I went into a Mom N Pop store where the owner had a G&L with a Glaser B- and G-bender already installed. Although I wasn't looking for a guitar with a G-bender, I would have never guessed how much I would use it, but I use it at least as much as I do the B-bender. I'm sure you'll be glad you went with both.

6. Chet Johnson

Chet Johnson Tele-Afflicted

I haven't tried Hipshot's g lever, only the B. For the money, I really prefer the Timara Band G benders. www.guitarpickle.com

7. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

I use a Hipshot with both benders and three toggles. I find I use the G Bender far more than the B Bender. After all, you can play any of the B Bender stuff with the G Bender. You just have to play in a different position. The G Bender gives you a larger palette of chords. Gives you the very "steelie" sounds of having the root on top of the two to major third bend. Lots of stuff available.. but, as I said, I have both, and use both. If I could only have one? G Bender, hands down!
    Some will say that the lever interferes with their right hand blocking. To cure that, you can cut the lever shorter. But,,, I angle the lever up at about 45 degrees, and play it with my right wrist. Then again, I play fingerstyle. So,,,,,,

8. rcalverley

rcalverley Tele-Meister

I have a Hipshot B and G on my Nocaster. I don't actually have the Bender on the guitar all of the time. But when I do, I use the G plenty. Mainly because it doesn't require putting the hipshot bar in, or standing up.

I usually have the G set to bend a semi-tone, and mainly use it for sus-4 notes. (I'm pretty useless with the bender)

9. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

You can also go for the B bender and add the G and drop D later i beleeb.

I love my Hipshot B and am looking forward to trying the G lever.

10. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

I have the Hipshot B & G bender unit on........

my favorite Strat. These are great units and work very well for all types of "bending" and also they're a great addition for adding some spice to your slide guitar playing if you're into that! My main guitar (Tele) has a Parsons/White bender but I still prefer the Hipshot to that. Here's a shot of my candy apple red Shecter Mercury Strat (just like Mark Knopfler's) with the Hipshot unit. I also use a Hipshot D-tuner on the headstock!. As you can see, the top volume control which is always in the way is gone. It's wired now with a master volume and tone control which work on all three pickups!..........JH in Va.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  11. billm90

billm90 TDPRI Member

I built a B G and A string bender out of some stuff at home depot. for about 20 bucks

I had no idea what I wanted as well since I never played with a string bender.

after getting it running I removed the A string bender.

So now it has a B (like a hip shot) and G bender. I like the B bender a lot more. i dont use the G bender as much.

I am thinking now about building a new B bender into the body of the guitar and be done.

[​IMG]

12. coolbreeze475

coolbreeze475 Tele-Meister

I had a B&G bender (B off the strap and G from the neck plate) installed by Bill Warford of B&W Benders in Springfield Missouri. Now I ordered a custom hipshot with 3 palm levers (1 for the high E string, 1 for the D and 1 for the A). I was able to install the Hipshot because Bill Warford doesn't have any hubs behind the bridge to get in the way of the Hipshot. I just installed the Hipshot to my Telecaster that has a modern tele bridge but now I have to put grooves in the saddles for the corresponding Hipshot strings. There's not much room for drilling holes on those newer tele bridges so I would recommend the ashtray style tele bridge if your thinking about a Hipshot and the G bender lever kicks ass. If you want you can contact Hipshot and custom order other bender arms for other strings. I'll tell ya what having a Palm lever arm on my high E string is pretty slick and there are no string breaking issues either. I will post a video soon of my Tele with 5 of the 6 strings attached to benders. B bending is cool but as far as I'm concerned having the ability to bend every string having a bender is cooler.

13. manic

manic TDPRI Member

Its been My experience that hooking more than one "bender" to a Hip Shot doesnt work so good. Maybe You all have a fix for it...

The thing I run into is if I have the B and G benders installed and I actuate the B bender, the G string goes flat because the fulcrum pole/rod thingy bends under the pressure. The same thing happens if I hook up the drop D lever. The E string goes flat when I bend the B with the hip lever. I cant stand the out of tune beating. Drives Me nuts.

I only run the hip lever as a B-bender.

I wanted to build a standoff for the middle of the fulcrum rod to basically cut its length in half. It would be usable for multi benders if the fulcrum didnt bend while in use.

FWIW

14. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Remove the felt from under that base plate. Add extra screws. The "fulcrum" is very unlikely to bend.

15. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

Manic, I agree with jmiles on removing the felt.....

so there's absolutely no "give" under the baseplate. Another thing you can do is get a small block of metal or a metal nut thats a little thicker than the distance between the crossbar and the plate. Wedge it under the crossbar and that'll stop the "flex" of the bar. You just need to stop the downward flexing of the bar........JH in Va.

16. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

Do most folks remove the felt?

17. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

"Do most folks remove the felt?"

I doubt it. But it sure made a difference for me.

18. manic

manic TDPRI Member

The fulcrum bends, unlikely as it might be. All I did was look at mine while operating it. It was pretty obvious what was going on once I saw that.

Ive had both of mine so long I forgot they even had felt. lol

After years of abuse the dog ear on the small E string side, if You use Yours as a B bender like I do, will get fatigued and start twisting and tearing at the base of the dog ear. At that point is when I started putting screws with a washer to sure up the base of the dog ear. You can see in the pic where the plating it chipped off the base around the dog ear. That's from the base plate/dog ear flexing.

The first time it got bad I was on the road and made a "field":rolleyes: repair by putting 2 screws either side of the fulcrum rod. In the pic You can see the 2 (extra)holes.:rolleyes:
    After I got the guitar back on My bench at home I removed the fulcrum rod and put a single screw directly under the rod, centered.

I lost the cork off the lever. I should replace it, it makes a sound when the bender lands back on the base plate. Its not that loud, I hardly ever even notice it. It does make for a very positive back stop for the lever, not having any soft material under it. Kinda like removing the felt from the bottom of the base plate.

It seems nearly impossible to get the string to return ALL the way back to pitch after a bend with the bender. There has to be a certain amount of down pressure by the B string on the saddle in order to keep Me from un landing that string when I'm diggin in while hybrid picking. Snapping the strings in other words.

By the time Ive gotten enough down force to keep the B string planted on the saddle during rigorous double stop hybrid picking b string snappin poppin pounding crushing and all other forms of Tele abuse

Sorry...

it makes it where the string cant return to pitch because of the excessive down force needed to keep the sting planted on the saddle during the pre-mentioned activities.
    It really sucks liftong the string off the saddle and having it land between the g and b string saddle, live, at a show, on the spot. That ssssshhhhh...tuff gets old FAST.
    Ive used every lube in the book. No dice.
    Graphite saddles are OK, they get ate up pretty fast though. The string cuts a slot deep enough to make the b string sound like crap in no time with graphite. So Ya end up filing/sanding them all the time...baaa

The y sound like crap to Me on My guitar anyway.

It kinda goes like this...

Tune guitar, great.
    Play chord. Great.
    Use B bender, stop using b bender, play chord. YUCK.
    Bend b string with finger, release bend, play chord. Perfect.

The b gets stuck slightly sharp after releasing a bend with the b bender, UNTIL you bend/stretch it. Then it goes back to pitch, where You had it tuned from the start.

To compensate for this I tune the B string a touch flat when its at rest at "true" B. There's a feel to the bender. The bender can be forced sharp or be flat while bending with it even if You hit the stop. It doesn't tune it self perfectly.

I tune the B a touch flat. After using the b bender but not having yet bend the b string with my finger to get it to return fully back to b, it sounds OK because its really not that sharp because We left it a touch flat to begin with. Then when We finally get around to bending the b string with a finger, it returns to its slightly flat state, which is not the best but its do-able.

I don't use the down force spring. I cut the hole in the back of the bridge tray at the "Correct" height and keep it and the saddle lightly lubed at all times.
    ... that's how it goes for Me anyway.

FWIW

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.