your thoughts on memorization

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by thunderbyrd, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Seems like a well organized practice strategy to me! I read that Steph Curry (pro basketball player) practices 500 (or 1000...2000...10000...I don't follow pro basketball close enough to remember the exact number or what is an exaggeration) shots a day. He has been one of the best shooters in the game.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    thunderbyrd likes this.
  2. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

IMO, playing patterns is like punching a speed bag ... it develops coordination and accuracy, not musicality. You should practice scales and patterns for that purpose ... it will help you play better, but it won't instruct you in "what" to play.

Beware great players who are poor teachers. Reserve some time for ear training, transcribing melodies and solos, and theory studies ... also interactive playing sessions with players near your skill level.

rangercaster likes this.
  3. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister

I guess memorizing patterns is what I do, but I need to know why they work.

For me that means understanding the note intervals, how they relate to the key, how they relate to the progression, implied chord changes, etc. There's a whole universe in there!

I'm not a big fan of brute memorization, but then again I'm not a professional musician.

4. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

Memorisation is a cool trick ... I'd rather create something new ...

5. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

I have a heck of a time memorizing all these transcriptions I love. After years I still get lost in certain places in these tunes, and lots of places I seem to have retained.

Contrary to that "behavior", I started a transcription by Frisell When You Wish Upon A Star. I told myself "I will memorize this fast". So I relentlessly pursued the leading edge of my memorization, pushing it further. And when I took a break I rehearsed it mentally. The result was that in three days I learned it well enough to post it here.

A couple weeks later I'm back to knowing about 3/4 but 1/4 are the spots I seem to have forgotten, yet a quick glance at the music and it pops back in my head for another hour where I often struggle.

This problem has kept me from playing solo guitar for $$$ in cafe's and restaurants, all those kind of weird gigs.

My solution for failure to remember was to understand chordal improvisation so if I get lost I can improvise my way out of the problem. The only problem is I forget the chordal improv concepts.

Thinliner likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.