Your songs for a road trip

wacolo

Tele-Afflicted
I hate driving. Around town is bad enough, but long trips are the worst. If I could beam myself like they do on Star Trek I would be so down for it. But for the times I have to I usually make a couple of mix CDs. This is the last one I did.

list3.jpg

DekeDog

Tele-Afflicted
I've made a composite of my favorite Joe Satriani songs for road trips. His music makes me feel like I'm flying a space ship.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
The last time I programmed a road trip, I had 18hrs of pre 1925 music on my ipod. Banjo, fiddle, TPA (Tin Pan Alley), etc.

I have gotten to prefer an audio book. It's like time travel...suddenly you're at your destination and you don't remember anything from the drive.

I also like SiriusXM 50s and 60s for the road.

I do like Radar Love. My first road trip was from Alabama to El Paso (in a '71 LTD) and RL had just hit the AM airwaves. Fond memories.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I pretty much always break out long-form prog rock for road trips.

Yes - Close to the Edge/Fragile/The Yes Album
King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black or better yet "The Great Deceiver" live box set
Genesis - Duke or maybe Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Fun thread. I've thought about this quite a bit. When I was a kid, moving from a relatively small island to the vast expanses of Canada, road trips were a summer ritual if we weren't going home. Some memories of songs while staring out the window, escaping for a bit, looking forward to our next destination, while my mom was busy critiquing my dad's driving.

One song that sticks out is 'Heart of Gold'. We did these epic road trips in the later 70s and Neil was pretty popular on the radio. Memories of driving on the Alberta plains anticipating a view of the mountains and the adventures in BC that would come.

Frisco 57

Tele-Holic
There are a couple of "best of discs" that get played if I've got some driving ahead of me. I'm pretty sure there will be some "steering wheel sing along" with these two also.
Best of Steve Earle
Best of John Hiatt

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
There are a couple of "best of discs" that get played if I've got some driving ahead of me. I'm pretty sure there will be some "steering wheel sing along" with these two also.
Best of Steve Earle
Best of John Hiatt

That reminds me... whenever I'd tapping out a rhythm on the steering wheel my kids point that out as "classic dad behaviour" :lol:

Frisco 57

Tele-Holic
That reminds me... whenever I'd tapping out a rhythm on the steering wheel my kids point that out as "classic dad behaviour" :lol:
My Kiddo is now a father himself and formerly a pretty good drummer. He's WAY worst at beatin' the crap out of the steering wheel when the song moves him! Yup, you're right, "Classic Dad Behavior"

Wooly Fox

Tele-Meister
More additions to my playlist (currently at 20 hour playtime so need another 5 hours of music)

Hold on loosely - 38 Special

Heard it on the X - ZZ Top
Electrophonic Tonic - Sonic's Rendezvous Band