Your signature rig(s)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted

Most of my recent gigs have been my solo act playing Hank Marvin (Shadows) tunes to backing tracks in care homes. I use my FSR Strat for these gigs and take along my CV50 as a back-up.

The vital element in the rig is the pedal-board. I have a single delay and a Vox delaylab that has 3 different delays pre-set. I can use any of these individually or mix any of the Vox pre-sets with the single pedal to get (very close to) the various different sounds that Hank conjured up all those years ago.

IMG_3260 (2).jpg

IMG_3258 (3).jpg

Blazer and RetroTeleRod like this.
  2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

That would be a great meet and greet, whichever side of the Rockies. If we do that, I'll have to make a point to take along Firecaster II and one of Pathfinders. That, or just bite the bullet and plug into my Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge. IMO, my teles don't sound as good through the Loudbox, but it sure is a convenient amp for vocals and guitar. The charge lasts for 3-4 days of my short gigs easy, or 4-6 hours.

On the trips we've made thus far, I've just done acoustics. Wait, that's wrong, I took the Firecaster on our trip in July so I could show it to my brother. Here he is in Mom's living room, before he even plugged in. And I didn't bring an amp, because I knew he had that covered.
    07-25-2019 - Buddy with Firecaster II.jpg

But on that same trip, I also took my two Hohners. One I've had for 36 years, the other was a recent acquisition. I wanted my brother to have the chance to play them both side by side. That was the only trip (thus far) that I've taken acoustics and a tele.
    07-22-2019 - Guadeloupe State Park.jpg 07-24-2019 - Guadeloupe State Park.jpg

But the other trips have all been with acoustics (or acoustic/electric). The maiden voyage, which was really just a short weekend to take the trailer on the road for the first time, I took along my Logan Custom tele acoustic/electric, but I didn't even bring along an amp.
    06-24-2019 - work's done, time to play.jpg

Then at Pedernales Falls State Park, it was my Cigar Box Guitar and my Breedlove Concert Passport Plus C250/SBe.
    08-23-2019 - Pedernales Falls State Park, White Cigar Box Guitar.jpg
    08-25-2019 - Pedernales Falls State Park, Breedlove Concert.jpg

BTW, where are you in proximity to Bend? Have you ever toured their factory? What do you think of Breedlove guitars?

3. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

These days I’m all over the place, but my classic rig is a Danelectro U1 through a Boss DS-1 directly into the board.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  4. bbetancourt

bbetancourt TDPRI Member

My acoustic rig is a Fishman-amp (was a LBX-400, got replaced by a LBX Mini charge) and my two Joe Striebel RS. When I have to save space I'll take the Stanford Parlor (P20) instead of the RS's.

Electric I usually plug my Chevy Tele directly into any H&K-amp (went from Triplex to TourReverb to Tubemeister18) for most of the time. But I used a Korg AX3000G for DI for about 5 years in between.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  5. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

@LGOberean, I found it liberating to haul teles camping instead of acoustics. They're much tougher, much less fuss and worry. The headphones are nice, too. I can play without feeling like I'm bothering anyone.

As you might know, I'm a Takamine nut, but I like Breedloves fine. I have not seen the factory. Bend is about a 5-hour drive. It's in the center of the state; we're on the coast. We've gone there a couple times for concerts, once to see Frankie Ballard and once for Jackson Browne.

It's too late for this year, but in the spring we're hoping to travel Interstate 40 (which mostly travels over and along the old Route 66) from Barstow, California to Wilmington, North Carolina. Maybe we can rendezvous somewhere as we waltz across Texas.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  6. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted

An ES-335 or Tele with a Hipshot Trilogy, ebony fretboard and wide neck (at least 1 3/4" at the nut). P90s on the 335, Texas Specials in the Tele. Left handed of course, but the Tele bridge pickup with the right-handed angle (so that the bass string side is closer to the bridge).
    I don't actually have either of those exact guitars, but close enough on both counts. As described here, they're the combination of my ideal elements.
    Amp wise, it's straight into my Gregory Apollo 800 long-ago gutted and re- wired to be a take on a low wattage (2 x EL84) 59 Bassman and so kinda ended up like a top-boost Vox.
    Oh yeah, and just single volume and tone on the 335, with the volume pot placed up close to the bridge.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    RetroTeleRod and felis like this.
  7. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

People's rigs evolve, especially if the person in question is an inveterate tinkerer.

My rig changes but there are "themes:"
    1 DIY stuff I cobbled together myself
    2 Stuff that is kind of old-fashioned looking
    3 Cherry wood whenever/wherever I can work it in.
    rig.jpg

8. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Nice stuff guys!

I only have one amp I gig. Since 2012, every gig with the little PR.
    I'm the singer that plays guitar, not the guitar player that sings. So mostly rhythm, a few signature lead riffs, the ones that are the same every time. Intros, etc.
    Local bar line dance scene.

My current setup:

My Rig 10-2019.jpg

9. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

I have a Belle Epoch & A EH Memory man with Hazari. I wanted to have one pedal, but I can't rid either. Both have a Plethora of sound. THe EH? It does the coolest reverse which I have tried to emulate since hearing it on"you've got me floatin".

10. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Is that an Alligator Samsonite?

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  11. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

the only thing 'signature' for me are the partscasters

TK Smith pickup, a leather pickguard, a strange color ... those are the things guitar fans notice, which is fun

and maybe the Vintage 47 tweed 1x12 cabinet

12. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

My main rig combination and the guitar I would like to be identified with. [​IMG]

13. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

Double post.

14. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Why yes it is. $7.00 at the local thrift store. I built my wooden pedal board to fit it!

P Thought likes this.
  15. Vfc13

Vfc13 TDPRI Member

Older Reverend charger 290..Blackheart Lil giant head and cab.. Silvertone 1471..Monoprice stage right 1/5 watt.. I happen to be lucky.. free 3 very large boxes of tubes from a old us navy radio man..50 plus vintage 6v6’s were in that ..

16. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, suppose a company would ask me for an endorsement I would show them THESE.

DSC02071.JPG
    With my Punk rock band "Rote sau" (German for "Red pig") my Rig is THIS.

DSC02072.JPG The Top is a nineties Park combo converted into a head, it's ten watt RMS but it punches so hard beyond its weight. Although for the most recent rehearsals I started to use a Hughes and Kettner Matrix 100 head because it's more reliable. And yes, I changed the logo to make it say "Pork"
    DSC02073.JPG This is the set up which I kept going back to all of these years, twin distortions each with a very different sound, delay and flanger, for those chiming eighties moments.

Guitar-wise, strats and strat style guitars all the way, comfort and adaptability is key here, I've been playing strats from the Get-go so I'm familiar with what I'm getting, no unpleasant surprises.
    Pig.jpg "The Pig" my Eighties Washburn G-junior, with a Jackson Model4 Humbucker.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    Steve 78 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.