Your signature rig(s)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Sep 18, 2019.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Okay, the Your signature edition [https://www.tdpri.com/threads/your-signature-edition.977914/] “can’t be a piece of musical equipment” thread by @geoff_in_nc frustrated me. I replied to it, but it took me several minutes to come up with something not gear-related. :oops:

All my life I’ve only ever had this one hobby, making music, playing and singing. Okay, well, I like to read, and have amassed a good library over the decades, but guitar is my most important hobby/pursuit/thing, and has been especially for more than a decade.

So, I’m starting the thread that Geoff excluded! :twisted: What’s your signature rig? I guess that means this thread is especially geared (pun intended, of course) towards gigging musicians, but if you have a signature rig, i.e., guitar(s) + amp(s) + pedal(s) + PA system, that's just for jams or even just at home, let’s hear about it, let’s see it.

geoff_in_nc likes this.
  2. LGOberean

I’ll start off. I’ve had a signature rig for electric gigs, for acoustic gigs and/or for both acoustic and electric sets at gigs, for some time. But as of June 28th, the there’s been a change. That’s when I got my latest Logan Custom tele, what I call “Firecaster II.”

For those that don’t know the backstory, we had a house fire in 2010, our house built by a family member in 1936. During the demo process preparing for rebuilding our home, I salvaged as much of the original lumber as I could: Douglas fir roofing joists and Long Leaf Pine planks from the exterior and interior shiplap construction walls. I re-purposed a lot of the lumber back into the house, but saved a bunch for guitars and maybe an amp/extension cab. Back in 2012 Bob Logan made me the first “Firecaster” (I’ll assume that here no explanation is needed for meaning behind that name), but I recently had him build “Firecaster II.” Here she is…
    06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, Beth's pics - 1.jpg 06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, Beth's pics - 2.jpg 07-13-2019 - Firecaster II - 2.jpg

I have four other Logan Custom teles, included the Firecaster I, and I’ve learned something each time with the choices of pickups, switching, bridge plate, etc. So Firecaster II was made to my specifications based on “a few of my favorite things” about my previous teles. So even before it arrived in Texas from Wisconsin, I had a high level of confidence that this guitar would have a killer look and play and feel and sound just like I wanted.

I wasn’t disappointed. The look of the guitar is beautiful, but it also tells its story of old growth construction grade lumber salvaged from a house fire, and has everything I built into it that I like to gig with: DiMarzio Twang King pickup set; 4-way switch, giving me both pickups in series in addition to the conventional 3 tele pickup selections of bridge, both in parallel, and neck; Bob Logan’s stainless steel bridge plate with a straight rather than slanted pickup alignment. And of course, I like the look and feel of the body, and the neck is just perfect for me. And as always, I will be playing through one of my Vox Pathfinder 15Rs, no pedals, just straight in. And if the gig calls for it, I line out from the rear panel of the PF15R to my powered speaker for a PA, my Alto TS310.

I feel quite safe in saying that this guitar is unique. It will make a very personal statement just by it's presence alone on the stage, to say nothing of how it sounds/plays. I want this to be my signature guitar, and since the Pathfinder is my favorite amp, this guitar through this amp will be my signature look and sound.

There will be times, probably not often, when I have both Firecasters onstage.
    06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecasters I & II.jpg

My Firecaster I has a set of Bill Lawrence Keystones for tele, and his 5-way switching. The #1 & #2 positions are distinct, giving a neck with 10% less bass (“neck lite,” I call it), and then “both pickups half out of phase,” which for me is a close enough approximation of “Strat quack.” So when my #2 doesn’t give me the sounds that I want (wait, that sounds bad), I’ll just reach for ol’ Firecaster #1.

And as for my acoustic sets/gigs, here is my go-to rig for that…
    06-01-2018 - My Logan Custom acoustic-electric & Fishman Loudbox Mini.jpeg

Okay, your turn. Whatcha got, TDPRI?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  3. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I’d be happy the rest of my life with a basic stock vintage style Strat, a tube screamer of any type, and an 18 watt Marshall with a Greenback.

I could do 98% of what I do with that.

TigerG, Durtdog, Fiesta Red and 10 others like this.
  4. LGOberean

Bruce, please tell me that the other 2% can only be done with a Tele! :twisted:

TheGoodTexan and RetroTeleRod like this.
  5. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

My signature pedal board that fits inside my guitar case. :cool:
    Summer2019TB.jpg

P Thought, TigerG, Durtdog and 14 others like this.
  6. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Yes of course!

Listen... I love a Tele. In fact, that’s my go-to thing for a heavier tone... Billy Gibbons or Joe Walsh. But the chimey clean over tones of a Strat single coil just work for me.

gwjensen, 4pickupguy and LGOberean like this.
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Mine is a 2003 MIJ Gretsch 1959 Nashville Classic (Country Gentleman) into a Roland Cube 80XL.
    Dirt simple.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  8. LGOberean

"Dirt simple." So, Bill, you get your "dirt" simply from the CUBE? What about your avatar tele? Where does that rank?

brookdalebill likes this.
  9. LGOberean

I'm not a pedal guy, so I don't even recognize everything you've got there, but it is indeed cool that it just fits in the case! I relate to having tremolo. I find it difficult to play without trem now. Fortunately, my Pathfinder 15R has it built in, with Speed and Depth controls.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  10. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Your new Firecaster is absolutely beautiful. Congrats on a great new guitar!

- D

LGOberean likes this.
  11. StrangerNY

My sig rig...

Amp: I got a Two Rock Studio Pro 35 head on my last trip to LA, and it's been my go-to ever since. As for a speaker cabinet, a pro audio designer friend of mine designed a guitar cabinet, and he was looking for someone to beta test it. He said that since I was active around NYC playing a wide assortment of music, I'd be the perfect candidate. I got the cabinet in the Fall of 2017, and by chance the width of the cabinet is exactly the width of the Two Rock head. I saw the designer last Sunday and he told me they updated the design of the cabinet - the dimensions are the same, but they added spring-loaded handles which were not on the original design. I'll be going to his shop on Friday to drop off the prototype and upgrade to the new design.

Effects: a Mooer GE 300 board. All the modeling and effects I can stand in one small box!

And my #1 guitar since January has been a Danocaster Whiteguard, with a rotation of backups.

With all this stuff I've finally got the perfect balance of tone, power, and portability. It all fits in the back of my Explorer (with a cart to lug it around), and I don't even have to put the back seat down! :)

I'll come back and add pics when the new cabinet is here.

- D

dented, LGOberean and RetroTeleRod like this.
  12. RetroTeleRod

Timmy - overdrive pedal
    Rat - distortion
    Boss TR-2 Tremolo
    Hardwire RV-7 Reverb

Here's a picture of my complete traveling rig. The pedals were different back then but everything else is the same. Amp in one hand, guitar/pedals in the other and I'm ready to go! I can put a delay pedal in the back of the amp if I need one.
    Retro's Tele.jpg

gwjensen, felis, studio1087 and 4 others like this.
  13. StrangerNY

That is genius.

- D

RetroTeleRod and TheGoodTexan like this.
  14. RetroTeleRod

Thanks!

StrangerNY likes this.
  15. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity

there is no signature rig in 24 track land what ever the job entails is done....I do and always start with the chosen guitar into an amp clean with no effects so I can hear the guitar by itself , then the fun begins I dislike ss distortion, but SS clean is great. so i guess that would be my GO TO Rig , but the signal may end up in the preamp rack and or to the tube amps and or the Roland GR55 driving midi set up and Virtual instruments .

thats my story and I'm sticking to it!

LGOberean likes this.
  16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My avatar Tele goes to my “all country” gigs.
    I’d say about 60% of my gigs are the country sideman
    type.
    I very rarely use distortion, and when I do, I just use the Cube’s “Classic Stack” setting.
    I have an R&B trio that I occasionally use a little overdrive with.
    The Cube has great tremelo, reverb, delay, chorus, phase shifting, and best of all, a silent chromatic tuner.
    I haven’t stepped on a pedal in years.
    I only own one, an EH Canyon.
    It stays with my home-use Roland Blues Cube Artist 1-12.
    In my youth, I used Tube Screamers, TC Chorus, Boss DM2 analog delays, and the reverb and tremelo on my (mostly) Fender amps.
    I have other groovy gear, but the Chet and the Cube
    with a little reverb and delay sound like “me”.

17. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I guess my "signature rig" these days is a strat or tele into my PRRI that runs through 2 12's. the amp has vibrato and reverb and that's all the effects I use at present.

I will be watching developments with the tonemaster twin and there could be one of those in my future.

LGOberean and RetroTeleRod like this.
  18. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

I just played a gig last night with a Douglas Gravity guitar and an original Roland Blues Cube 60, with a Digitech RP500 in between. I really like that setup. I also use my CV tele, but haven't taken the time to tweak the effects to work well with the lower output single coils.

The only thing keeping me from declaring that my sig rig is the weight of the BC60. It sounds great though, so my strategy is to be busy carrying other stuff in and out til one of the younger dudes grabs my amp.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  19. LGOberean

I'll be looking forward to those pics!

StrangerNY likes this.
  20. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

My 'Signature Rig' is just what I could afford and I really lucked out with good-sounding budget stuff- many years now, no need to changeup:

1993 Martin D-1 ( been to hell and back), 1997 Tex-Mex Strat (USA Fender PU upgrade+parts), well-worn ( well-pro maintained) Blues Jr. or Vox Pathfinder 15R ( my Giant Killer), Boss Blues Driver+ 3 other pedals)
    20180911_102029.jpg 20180729_153306.jpg 00606_akEg5eS3VH0_1200x900.jpg

RetroTeleRod and Shuster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.