1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Your Scariest Animal Encounter

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by CajunJ, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

B8CCDF5E-B609-43CD-873C-9F7D9754D6BB.jpeg Wildlife photography takes me to some dangerous locals. I was nearly devoured during an extended shoot in the living room! This beast nearly took my head off!

Weazel and CajunJ like this.
  2. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

The first time I heard the solo in this:

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I hear that.

Around 2010, we were winter day hiking in deep woods near Oviedo, Florida and a very pleasant cold front had already come through and things were crisp and quiet. And cold, for Florida. This is a mostly upland, heavily wooded area near Orlando that miraculously was spared development.

And so you would expect any bad tree to have fallen already, with the winds as the front came through many hours before. Nevertheless I look up at the trail ahead of us, then off to the left and there's a very tall pine tree that's just not right. The other trees wave right then left, right then left. But this one waves right, pauses, then waves right some more, pauses and I stop my girlfriend and I point out the tree to her and it falls right across the trail, maybe 70 feet in front of us. Just explodes into pieces on impact, as much of it is decayed.

We marvel at our good luck/observational skills then continue and we're stepping across a huge remnant of this log on the trail, me first then the dog and I hear the sound of an electric motor or something trying to get going. I yell to my girlfriend and we sprint ahead down the trail, as the once groggy bees (who had called this tree their home) finally get their bearings and look for someone's butt to kick.

And again we're congratulating ourselves and we almost step on a huge rattler that's right in the trail, just unable to get up to speed because of the cold weather.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  4. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Encountered a 14-foot Reticulated python in the Philippines. It wasn’t scary, but it could have become scary pretty fast if he’d been in a mood.

Spent two weeks in Africa avoiding a leopard every night. He developed the idea that the smell of cigar smoke was the equivalent of a dinner bell and apparently saw me as a very large baboon. Not really scary, but plenty irritating having to drag race him to the back door every night. Eventually he gave up and just went away.

Bumped into two very large Great White Sharks during their mating season. I dropped into a bed of eel grass and hugged the bottom. They had a very quick look, apparently decided that I wasn’t edible, and disappeared into the gloom. A little scary, mostly because you don’t realize how fast they are until you see them in real life.

Got stung by a tweed cone shell over in the Pacific while diving. The particular type fires a neurotoxic projectile that kills most people before they can get out of the water. I figured that I was screwed so decided there was no reason to get all panicky and that I may as well enjoy my last dive. Remained calm and kept swimming, enjoying the scenery. My arm got a little tingly, but other than that, nothing happened.

Had a coyote come right up to the fence and growl menacingly at me while they were looking for dens one spring, a couple of years ago. He repented immediately after I kicked up the dirt between his front paws with a 9mm round. He was pretty fast getting across the pasture to the woods as he departed. :D

boris bubbanov and CajunJ like this.
  5. arnie5150

arnie5150 Tele-Meister

Fishing from a jon boat in a swamp off of the Pascagoula River in southern Mississippi as a kid. I was reeling in a bream on my Zebco 33. Just as the bream breaks the surface a prehistoric looking alligator snapping turtle came up from the water. hits the boat and took him as well as my new beetle spin. Scared us to death!

CajunJ likes this.
  6. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Body surfing at Cape Hatteras, three sand bars out. Something big bumped into my leg. Probably a dolphin, but I was out of the water the rest of the day.

CajunJ and imwjl like this.
  7. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Didn't ask, want or expect it proximity to cougar and bears in back country.

Snorkel or diving proximity to animals you know are dangerous.

If humans are animals, could add two more lines or paragraphs.

CajunJ likes this.
  8. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I was riding a motorcycle cross country and approaching a mountain top near Greybull WY. As I swept around a fast turn there were several cows standing in the road. I slowed down and stopped, and was suddenly surrounded by cows! They're much taller than a rider sitting on a motorcycle. Slowly, I paddled my way through the herd for a good 50 yards before seeing open road again. If they had gotten spooked, I would have been trampled to death. Seriously scary several minuted.

CajunJ likes this.
  9. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Poster Extraordinaire

Driving down a dirt path in West Virginia.
    Heading for a cabin on the side of a mountain.
    Middle of nowhere.

Path was getting thinner, tree limbs were scraping the side of the Jeep. We looked just ahead of us and there was a HUGE Black Bear. It stood up on its hind legs, it was a big male. He looked us over, then turned and walked into the brush.

They aren't agressive, but it scared the hell out of us.
    :eek::D:cool:

Steerforth likes this.
  10. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I was walking to my car after work one day and came face-to-face with a hawk that was on the roof of someone's truck, taking apart a pigeon. The roof of the truck was covered in feathers and blood, it looked like the aftermath of a violent pillow fight. The hawk squawked at me and then picked up the remains of the pigeon and flew off with it.

arnie5150 likes this.
  11. Burning Fingers

Burning Fingers Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.