Your response to "What kind of music do you play?"

Bendyha

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Elevator music. Seriously that’s what I say. Conversation killer.
Conversation killer? But it is so interesting as an answer, it pushes all the buttons to take your playing to another level. Elevator music can be quite uplifting, but I guess it can also bring you down. Don't you ever feel the music is stuck in a track, and that you have been well shafted playing that? - You could take steps to avoid that, because it is wrong on so many levels.

johnny k

Doctor of Teleocity
Conversation killer? But it is so interesting as an answer, it pushes all the buttons to take your playing to another level. Elevator music can be quite uplifting, but I guess it can also bring you down. Don't you ever feel the music is stuck in a track, and that you have been well shafted playing that? - You could take steps to avoid that, because it is wrong on so many levels.
you call it elevator music, i call it exotica.

maxvintage

Poster Extraordinaire
I tend to be interested in jazz and stuff on the jazz end of the pool. I like the emotinal ambiguity you get from the extended chords. I also like it when we get away from basic diatonic major minor harmony and into weird modal stuff, so recently various forms of "folk" music. I keep thinking of a band I want to start, i can kind of articulate in my head what I want it to sound like, but then i think "Hmmmm finding musicians who can play it, scheduling times to rehearse, hustling gigs?" and I go back to doing my day job, which I actually also really like.

Lonn

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter

Got me! I was about halfway through that before it it me…..

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
My answer is, "I'm an oldie, and That's what I play- old country, pop and rock, bit o blues, touch of jazz, Motown and standards."

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I’m kind of a weirdo, and a curmudgeon, and I have a twisted sense of humor. So generally I say-

“Well, what kind of music do you like?”

They say “we’ll I really like _______”.

And I say “Yeah… we don’t play any of that. But the music we do play has a lot of the notes in it. You’ll probably like it.”

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
We've all been asked this once someone finds out you play guitar.

I have a hard time answering it these days, because I'm not in a band, or playing out right now at all, and I spend more time at my keyboard (qwerty) than with my guitar. Mostly I play lullabies and old hits to my kids. So, when someone asks me, I have no idea what to say.

What do you folks answer to this question? What kind of music do you play?
If asked to label my own music I'd reply: "some indie-new wave-rock -thing".
My answer to the literal OP question would be:
"Nowadays... mostly mindless noodling in 10-15min doses".

EDIT: Those 10-15min noodling sessions are frequently interspersed with totally
unprovoked renditions of the King Of The Hill -theme.

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
First I say I'm all over the place. Then, depending on how interested they actually are, I might talk about folk, blues, old-school country, and garage rock, or I might talk about roots music in general. And I'll usually mention originals.

Doesn't seem like a tough question. The hard question is, "Where do you get your ideas?" I don't get it. Don't they come to everyone? Guess not. What I always want to know is, where don't they get theirs?

Even worse: "Where did you get the idea for that one?" The answer is always so mundane and trivial that we're both sorry it got asked. It's like asking the magician where the rabbit came from.