Your response to "What kind of music do you play?"

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
My previous answer was assuming I'm meeting random neighbors (the ones that aren't professional musicians), or my doctor is asking me about myself, and what I like to play personally as an individual.

If someone is asking what kind of music my band plays, that's a whole other issue. It actually is a little complicated, but I think I'm genuinely bad at taking an objective perspective and describing it.

But, I know what a douche I'll sound like if I in any way imply, even accidentally, that I think my band is too eclectic to be pinned down, or so innovative you've never heard anything like us. So, I have thought about it and prepared a much oversimplified nutshell answer that I can live with, using descriptors others have used. I can expand with some additional description and artists we sound like if asked.
I recommend getting this figured out if you have a band that you're not sure how to describe.

playforfun

Tele-Afflicted
Honky blue rock country Tonk.
7D92588D-877C-4B2D-9A4F-74D88FD18626.jpeg

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
We've all been asked this once someone finds out you play guitar.

I have a hard time answering it these days, because I'm not in a band, or playing out right now at all, and I spend more time at my keyboard (qwerty) than with my guitar. Mostly I play lullabies and old hits to my kids. So, when someone asks me, I have no idea what to say.

What do you folks answer to this question? What kind of music do you play?
What ever they will pay me to play.
YEP!!!