Your Pure Stock Electric Guitars. Bought New. Zero Alterations.

eclecticsynergy

Friend of Leo's
I've done a fair amount of pickup swapping, to get my rig to feel and respond right with various different guitars. Not to make them sound similar, you understand, just to get their outputs into the same ballpark. I used to switch guitars often in a set, and didn't have the time to redial amps between songs.

But my '87 PRS is bone stock. I wouldn't change a thing. So is one of my McCartys.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Many electric guitarists, and I'm a prime example, love to make changes to guitars they've purchased. I've done it to lower priced guitars, (Fender MIM Teles and MIM Strats. Les Paul Studios. A mid '80s Charvel Tele-Style. Two Ibanez RGs and many more), and expensive guitars too, (Les Paul Traditional. Eric Johnson Stratocaster, etc.). Why? I'm not concerned about resale value. I don't buy and sell. I do it to make them mine. To make them me. To prowl outside the pack. Plus .... I love trying to find something better than what I've already got. Increments of improvement toward something better. It's an electric guitar player gas thing. Yet ....... there are some guitars I've purchased stock, have never changed a single thing on them and still own them to this day. An again ... it's not about resale value. I've just never found anything about them I could improve upon and "making them mine" might actually make them less than they were upon their brand new purchase. I love to make changes but ... the following list of guitars were all bought new by me, (some as many as 20+ years ago), and remain absolutely stock. I've truly never found anything that would improve upon them.

2002 Ibanez JEM DBK.
2007 Gibson Custom Shop CS 336.
2008 Suhr Custom T-Style.
2014 Melancon Custom T-Style.
2017 Giffin Standard.
2018 Melancon Pro T-Style.

I also owned a 2001 Fender Double Fat Strat that remained stock for as long as I owned it, (about 10 years), but someone out of the blue heard it and offered me a price I just couldn't turn down so it's no longer in my stable.

So what about you. Especially you Love to upgrade types. Any guitars in your home or studio that remain exactly as they were when you purchased them? How long have you owned them? Are your reasons similar or different from mine?

Thank you for your responses. 🙂
Mine are about half and half. Mostly the less expensive guitars got electronics or hardware updated. Some of the ones I haven't made any changes to are: Gretsch Nashville, Kiesel SH-575, Les Paul Standard, Fender 75th Anniversary Tele, Gibson Flying V, Carvin Bolt, Peavey Firenza 90, Keisel Holdswoth HH2, 2003 Gibson ES-135, Fender American B Bender Tele

20220704_215422.jpg
20220409_165741.jpg
20220401_130955.jpg
20220222_113523.jpg
20220107_141630.jpg
20211229_203846.jpg
20210901_220922.jpg
20210829_211131.jpg
20210820_222809.jpg
20200821_160805.jpg

Last edited:

Clifton C

Tele-Afflicted
Every time I buy a Telecaster, I put on compensated brass saddles and an Electrosocket jack. I do have a Rickenbacker that I haven’t modified. I did have to get it refinished because the conversion varnish was flaking off the back and the neck.

dlew919

Doctor of Teleocity
My main tele, a Nashville, is modified - new switching, new bridge, new jack
My second tele - a Squier Vintage modified - oh... new jack.
My Gretsch 5420T - oh, new jack...

I've never changed a pickup - I buy guitars with sounds I like. Others don't, that's fine by me.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Most of mine are stock except my two paisleys (a strat and a tele) because they had been messed with before I acquired them so I figured I might as well put what I want in them/wasn’t happy with the pickups

I also put f-tuners on the strat because a 70’s style strat NEEDS F-tuners and it already had multiple sets of tuners

Gclef

TDPRI Member
First is my warmoth tele. Still as I built it 23 years ago

20211009_144325.jpg

As73g - bone stock....again. it has its original pickups back in it. I lowered the nut a bit too.
20211009_144244.jpg

Yamaha rs502t- bone stock. I lowered the nut on this one too
20211009_144210.jpg

Ltd ec401v - 99.5% stock. All I did was swap the volume pot leads, so the neck pickup pot is closer to the neck and vice versa
20211009_144147.jpg

Rockinvet

Friend of Leo's
I’m not a heavy mod guy because I’m terrible at soldering and I’m not good at guitar repair. With that being said I’ve modded all my Fender guitars my whole life lol. Until now. I have a Fender American deluxe telecaster with noiseless pickups that I won’t touch. Not that it’s perfect but every time I mess with a guitar I’m never satisfied or something needs tweaking later on. I just want to play. Every time I start working on a guitar I realize I could be practicing and I start hyper ventilating (Not really). I have a 335 I dare not mod because it’s perfect but my strat needs a new pickup and I may just pay someone to install it correctly because I want it done right. I envy you folks who are good at repairs.

Swingcat

TDPRI Member
Many electric guitarists, and I'm a prime example, love to make changes to guitars they've purchased. I've done it to lower priced guitars, (Fender MIM Teles and MIM Strats. Les Paul Studios. A mid '80s Charvel Tele-Style. Two Ibanez RGs and many more), and expensive guitars too, (Les Paul Traditional. Eric Johnson Stratocaster, etc.). Why? I'm not concerned about resale value. I don't buy and sell. I do it to make them mine. To make them me. To prowl outside the pack. Plus .... I love trying to find something better than what I've already got. Increments of improvement toward something better. It's an electric guitar player gas thing. Yet ....... there are some guitars I've purchased stock, have never changed a single thing on them and still own them to this day. An again ... it's not about resale value. I've just never found anything about them I could improve upon and "making them mine" might actually make them less than they were upon their brand new purchase. I love to make changes but ... the following list of guitars were all bought new by me, (some as many as 20+ years ago), and remain absolutely stock. I've truly never found anything that would improve upon them.

2002 Ibanez JEM DBK.
2017 Giffin Standard.

I also owned a 2001 Fender Double Fat Strat that remained stock for as long as I owned it, (about 10 years), but someone out of the blue heard it and offered me a price I just couldn't turn down so it's no longer in my stable.

So what about you. Especially you Love to upgrade types. Any guitars in your home or studio that remain exactly as they were when you purchased them? How long have you owned them? Are your reasons similar or different from mine?

I have modified many guitars over the years, but never could get them exactly the way I wanted them..SO... I started building my own. Basically starting with a blank canvas, I started with basic Tele style guitars (Turbocaster Electric Guitars). I put the best hardware & electronics on them, changed to different bridges, Graph Tech saddles & nuts, roller string trees, Hipshot Locking Tuners, Nitro lacquer, and EMG T-System pickups/controls, which give me the best cleans of ANY pickups EVER (No, they're NOT just for high gain stuff!!). I changed the body & headstock shapes, relieved the edges and the cutaways, etc.. and now have amazing guitars!!
THEN!!! I tried a Mexican Jazzmaster. Even with stock Fender JM pickups, it worked amazingly well, SO.. I decided to start making JM style guitars. I convinced my friend Rob Turner (CEO of EMG) to make pickups for Jazzmasters, and of course, with all the other high end hardware, came up with the ultimate guitar for my purposes (backing up my amazing wife, doing Country, Western Swing, Standards, Jazz, old Rock, Blues, etc..).
Then, I started making guitars in the spirit of WW2 Fighter Planes.
Moral: be careful what you start!!

Attachments

• E8313789-ABA1-4F34-850E-15F74EB023B5_1_201_a.jpeg
    E8313789-ABA1-4F34-850E-15F74EB023B5_1_201_a.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 13
  • tempImagelMfgRN.png
    tempImagelMfgRN.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • tempImageIb1qvs.png
    tempImageIb1qvs.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • tempImagej8uOKM.png
    tempImagej8uOKM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • tempImagemzAQ8P.png
    tempImagemzAQ8P.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • tempImageqg1DTi.png
    tempImageqg1DTi.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • tempImagemROZpr.png
    tempImagemROZpr.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 14

Lies&Distortion

Tele-Afflicted
I have a spalted maple HH Tele that is stock except for nylon string tree. Thought about replacing pickups and bridge but I like it as is.

And a '76 Mustang that is totally stock. Bought it at a yard sale the day Leo Fender died.

strmusicman

TDPRI Member
Nothing wrong with my huber cause it was custom made with my specs:wood,pickups,radius,frets colour etc.

Attachments

• IMG_2714.jpg
    IMG_2714.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2715.jpg
    IMG_2715.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2716.jpg
    IMG_2716.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 15

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire

2002 Ibanez JEM DBK.
2017 Giffin Standard.

Do you want pictures?
Does Changing pickups count?

andy__d

Tele-Meister
I’ve done a lot of upgrades over the years, but this thread got me realizing that all the guitars I’ve upgraded to make them more “mine” got sold on, the ones I’ve got left are all stock. There’s perhaps a lesson for me there…

047EDCBA-7FB5-44CD-8B33-A9C66E866E22.jpeg

(Left to right, 2022 Jackson Dinky, 1988 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, 2003 Burns Brian May Red Special, 2013 Fender American Standard telecaster) - the strat is due a refret: they’ve been dressed down as far as they’ll go - but a bit of me doesn’t want to mess with ‘ol faithful, so I’m putting it off as long as I can.

bblumentritt

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Only once. A brand new 1976 Telecaster Custom -the one the six individual saddles and the Micro-Tilt 3-bolt neck. I played it in a Hank Williams tribute band, and at church. It sounded good, and I really liked the Wide Range Humbucker, but it wasn't a very good guitar, mostly because of the micro-tilt neck that was goosey loosey, and I never liked the top being covered with plastic. Here am I with some friends in the mid '70s.
Mark-David-Bruce-sm.jpg

I ended up replacing that Tele with a brand-new Strat in '81 or so, which I modified...

Other than that, I modified every electric I bought: Ventura Barny Kessel/Trini Lopez copy; 1966 Tele (yes, but restored it to original before selling it); 1981 Strat; 1988 Nashville Tele; PRS SE Semi-Hollow.

teletail

Friend of Leo's
I put some Don Mare pickups in a Fender Elite Tele; put the Elite pickups in a Squier and I’ve got another set of Don Mares on order for a Danny Gatton tele I bought. That’s about the extent of my modifications in 50+ years of playing.

Doctorx33

Friend of Leo's
I have modded all of my guitars in some way, some quite heavily, except this one, my 2018 Epi Moderne:

5806FF53-217B-4977-8194-7A3E918F18A3.jpeg