1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Your Pet Peeves, in the general electric guitar design industry

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by MatsEriksson, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

Such blatant discrimination, shouldn't be allowed.

Robert Fripp and Joe Strummer - to name but two - both lefty who had to learn to play righty.

2. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

1.75" nuts should be a standard (option).

Bill, P Thought, edvard and 2 others like this.
  3. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

Bigsbys.

Relics.

Ted Keane likes this.
  4. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

Steve Morse too, Mark King and numerous others. In the 50s there wasn't a pair of scissors that was made for any left handed anywhere in the world.

Norris Vulcan likes this.
  5. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I'm trying to find some design thing to complain about in the spirit of the thread...but most larger manufacturers offer something for everybody. They try to offer new stuff every other year to compete, and they also offer re-issues, to acknowledge a design that can't be bested. Some of their new ideas are hit and miss. But, they are trying.

About the only thing I can think of, is a well-funded, engineered effort to replace materials with lower environmental impacts, as in sustainable materials, equivalent alternate wood, etc. Tele's are already wood-sustainable, but maybe look at lower impact finishes, platings, maybe plastics organic subsitutions, etc. Or instead of platings, how about stainless, or anodized Aluminum, or even low impact lacquered brass? For flattops, there should be a way to design a Maple or basswood neck that sounds and plays like Mahogany for example? Same for backs and sides. If I had to complain, I'd complain about them scavenging materials like Richlite, just because its available and plentiful, instead of engineering a material to be interchangeable. Plus, Richlite may actually create a larger impact than the Ebony it replaces. And its not acoustically, or structurally, or thermally the same.

6. MatsEriksson

I have yet to step on any cable plugged into a strat and it dropped on the floor. Basically every other one if located at the side of the body I did, hence the needed wraparound on the strap. The only negative with strat like jacks is that it is very awkward to use angled plugs. But... you can if you want to...not recommended though...

7. MatsEriksson

There are these Flaxwood guitars. Looks fugly, but nevertheless. Sounds the same. Recycled wood.

https://www.flaxwood.com/

https://www.flaxwood.com/company/flaxwood-material/

8. Musekatcher

600M left-handed folks in the world. But, right handed folks will only encounter a left-handed person 1 of 10 times. There's a reason right-handed folks believe what they believe. And there's a reason being 90% accurate creates justification. In some minds.

MatsEriksson likes this.
  9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Richlite? Noes!!! Muh Tonez!!!!

Oldsmobum likes this.
  10. MatsEriksson

No? Have you been living under a rock lately? There's definitely a resurgence of headless instruments, like .Strandberg guitars, they've even been lauded for looking better than Steinbergers, because that was peoples main gripe. Numerous headless are starting to get a second wave, and especially in bass guitar or extended range instruments, like more than 6 string basses. The more strings they have, the more they need to be headless (see earlier posts about neck dive).

Otherwise everything will end up looking like this:
    [​IMG]

That's a real one and not something made in Photoshop only.

11. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Not really any gripes about guitar design specifically, as these days a player can find absolutely anything to suit his or her specific tastes.

But a few things that do kind of bug me...

- Not giving guitar models proper names. Somehow I don't see myself developing an artistic bond with an "RGH-456C". It's just lazy marketing.

- The rainbow colored ball ends on D'Addario strings. Nobody asked for this. If you can't tell which string is which, get someone who knows what they're doing to string up your guitar for you. They stick out like a sore thumb on any guitar where they're visible.

12. MatsEriksson

My thing was that they are offering all these options, and customizations, but whenever asked about those I want, they go "no, not possible I am afraid". And yet they have still these posh Seymour Duncan Zephyrs with silver wire, which benefits are so subtle that it is neglible, but whenever asked for modern staggering on single coil pickups or reverse slant on bridge pickups ... well, it's a major chore for them, and even if I say money is no problem... they won't do it.

I do think these days when everyone - even "hand built" - uses CNC machines but you can't even ask for wider nut width plus thicker necks. At no matter the cost.

And those options I want, is not overtly aesthetically challenging. I mean, nut width? Does it change the Tele into some mongrel Les Paul, hydra, Strat with no toanz at all? Losing all Mojo? Don't think so. Not even a zero fret.

- - - - - - -

Mostly when reading about the stagger of pole pieces on pickups, the builders (read up on Haze guitars forum) says that "you're the only one noticing it, no one in the audience cares", so one should leave it alone. But whenever reading about tonewoods on electric guitars, or basses, even Sadowsky and all other says "well, you can't hear it in a blind test, but it is what matters to the player, the player will feel and hear a difference".

All of a sudden, it's important to us that plays. Even crucial. I can tell you too, that no one in the audience gives a **** about tonewood on your guitars, or basses. Too. Not even studio engineers.

Oldsmobum and Buzzgrowl like this.
  13. Musekatcher

I thought the Fender Custom Shop would build anything you want? Last time I looked at their catalog of options, it took a half hour to just scan? Did something change?

14. MatsEriksson

You'd would want them after you'd seen a guitar/bass strung with DR's Neon strings. :eek:

[​IMG]

You can have one color for each string, they glow in the dark. Talk about sticking out like a sore thumb!

And coming to think of it, there arent that many guitars that I can see any ball end from the strings up front. Especially not through-body strung Teles, Strats with whammy bars, or Floyd Roses (which are cut off anyways). And there are so many alternatives to these colored ball ends (D'addario's the only ones afaik) so you do have a choice.

I could go on about coated strings too, which is a nuisance to me, but there are alternatives. As long as I have not to choose them. It's when they are no alternatives to us, that I am aiming at, mostly, in this thread.

AAT65 likes this.
  15. freshchops

freshchops Tele-Meister

Don't know if it's been mentioned... the Volume knob location on Strats and Jazzmasters, etc. For someone who palm mutes on the bridge a lot, this thing is a infuriating! Heck, palm mutter or not, I really just don't know who thought it a good idea to place it there.

strat.jpg

MatsEriksson likes this.
  16. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

TRIGGER WARNING!!!

First off, i've liked a number of comments on this thread so I'm as guilty as anyone here...but, I think the fact that we have so many complaints speaks to:

1. How many choices we already have (which often only make us want MORE choices)
    2. How entitled we've become
    3. Our lack of recognition that we've never had more options as guitar players EVER in history

But, to my complaint...and the last time I mentioned this on a forum (this one), I got some major flaming, so I'm going to just slip into my fire-proof suit right quick and...

With the exception of someone who has a crippling injury and needs a custom-made guitar...I think left-handed guitars are dumb. Before people's heads collectively explode, let me explain:

1. There are no (save perhaps for custom one-offs) left-handed clarinets, trumpets, saxophones or pianos. You sit down to learn any of them, you work with what you have.
    2. It's dumb because, like most of the instruments above (except for the trumpet), you learn to play the guitar with BOTH hands. Now you may prefer to play one side or another with one hand or the other, but you don't remake a piano because of that preference. You train it out. Things feel weird when you're starting, you train through it.
    3. Manufacturers don't often make left-handed instruments (or more of them) because, while it's just a mirror image of their primary manufacturing process, SOME ELEMENTS of it require retooling, different supplies and/or additional work. Hence the often higher charges for left-handed instruments, which, as a matter of fact...
    4. Left-handed instruments cost more (and they "shouldn't" because left-handed people didn't ask to be left-handed and shouldn't be economically "punished" for it...even though I understand it costs manufacturers more and that's why they do it).
    5. When you choose to learn to play, say, guitar, left-handed, rather than train to play the instrument the way it's designed, you immediately cut your purchase/ownership/playability options for the entire pantheon of instruments down to a very small (and very expensive) fraction of the whole.
    I recognize that there are countless amazing left-handed guitar players in the world who learned to play left-handed or to play a right-handed guitar upside down or strung the opposite way. And if you want to do that, go for it. But expecting manufacturers to invest considerable time, cost and resources in catering to (on a production basis, rather than a custom-shop one) a demographic that represents only about 10% of the population (and who may be 100% as fickle as the overall population) doesn't seem entirely reasonable to me.

The original thread I commented on asked a question something to the effect of, "My kid wants to learn to play guitar and is left-handed. Should I make them learn to play right-handed or get them a left-handed guitar?" And I said, "Make them learn to play right-handed. They'll have a lot more options available to them, it will be easier to learn off of tab and videos (without doing mental acrobatics flipping everything over), and if something happens to their instrument, they'll always be able to borrow a guitar for a gig or to practice on. Plus, they're a beginner so they have to train both hands anyway."

You would think I had said something like "all left-handed people are of the devil" or "left-handed people don't deserve to be happy" or something.

To my left-handed brothers and sisters: I bear you no ill will. The above are my reasons, and they haven't changed in the few years since this last came up, why I feel left-handed guitars are ridiculous. It's not because I hate you, want you to be oppressed and challenged in life or don't think you should have just as much opportunity and joy to learn the guitar as me. It's just that, as someone who learned (or tried to learn) to play several band instruments and piano before guitar, I never would have thought of expecting a centuries-old instrument design to change to fit ME (if I were left-handed). I just asked, "Where does the left hand go?" "Where does the right hand go?" and set about learning. I can't imagine telling someone they can learn clarinet left-handed (see how ridiculous this sounds about an instrument you play with BOTH hands?) and then having them have to pay a premium (and have FAR less selection of instruments...particularly high-end or vintage instruments...for the rest of their life. Dumb. To me. Call it "right-handed privilege" if you like. My two cents. YMMV.

And lefties, I DO love and value you...if you think on my reasons above, you might see that...but let it be said officially.

To everyone who insists on making it negative...even though I've explained and done everything to avoid that...I hope you have your flame-throwers ready. I'm dressed for the occasion.

Tele907 and Jared Purdy like this.
  17. MatsEriksson

Yes, and I've been bickering about this since ages.. Yet they have these pots called something or knobs, where you press in the middle of the knob to engage something else electronically. While instead that press should be made to mechanically lock the knob in its position, and when you need swells, you just push it in again. Forgot the name of those knobs/pots. The come together those knobs/pots.

If you should have another to really do the electrical circuit switching, you just place it at the second tone knob,and still have that function.

18. MatsEriksson

Or you could make guitars that doesn't make a difference if their made "left-handed" or "right handed", whatever suits you:

1. Zero fret: no need to recut/redo/change out nut. Just swap strings.
    2. Adjustable pole pieces, for changing output individually.
    3. Uniform body shape design upside down or whatever, no side is "right".
    4. Actually Albert King used Flying V just because of that. The controls wasn't in their way.
    5. Bridge and saddles is already a piece of cake, just intonate them...

and...

Screenshot_2021-04-12 Steinberger Guitars Spirit XT-2DB Standard Bass BK.png

And btw I think guitars made especially for girls/women is a far larger issue than left handedness. St Vincent got her signature guitar finally. But look at the above, it would suit them too...

19. TeleCarlos

TeleCarlos TDPRI Member

Why aren't most (not all) guitars have a better output jack method, like Charvels?!?! Come on guitar makers, as you can see, its not hard!

Attached Files:

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  20. TeleCarlos

TeleCarlos TDPRI Member

[​IMG]Obviously I dont know how to put a pic in a post! Im not that old. This bugs me.. anyone can give me some cues?!?!?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.