1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Your Pet Peeves, in the general electric guitar design industry

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by MatsEriksson, Apr 11, 2021.

1. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

It has come to my attention, after - among other things - in different YT flicks and latest interview online with luthier Steve Klein, some stubborn myths and misconception that has haunted the guitar industry that no one seems to care about, no matter how many that are bickering about it.

Here's mine, what is yours?

1. Zero fret has a bad rap because they're on cheap guitars. How can they be considered cheap? They still need the guiding nut, and it is both added labor and material, so how come people don't "buy" the concept? When asking luthiers about it, I get a sort of "this goes to eleven.." answer and its most aesthetics they're bickering about, not function. Coming to think of it, I think zero fret has more advantages than any nut really.

2. Staggered non-adjustable pole pieces on Tele and Strat single coil pickups to follow radius...what? Any radius? One radius fits all? No way Jose. They should follow each individual strings output, no more no less, regardless of radius. Period. Or newer modern string gauges with a plain third.

3. Speaking of radius...why? I never ever felt comfortable when bending strings on any radiused neck, the strings will choke out, unless you have unecessarily high action. Also, it won't follow rule of 18 when regarding fret placement to exact intonation.

4. Slanted bridge pickups...where the strings spacing is the widest of them all? Then the alignment of polepieces underneath don't align up that well, and yet they're stressing the importance of staggered pole pieces. Beats me big time. If any pickup should be slanted, it's at the neck, to make up for the narrower string spacing there.

5. Way too narrow string width at the nut on most guitars for me. I have thick, large and fat hands. Never understood the incentive behind this. Really, I never understood why the string spacing should narrow down that much from the bridge towards the nut. To cater to mandolin players, hedging their bets, and take over that market too?

Now thinking about how many also-ran 3rd party pickup companies there are out there, with numerous options, and new alloys, new material, and this or that, they've never addressed the above.

So let's hear it, what is yours that you'd just wished they'll do, or why they havent' solved a problem, or nuisance...yes, it's indistrial land problem, and somewhat nit picking but people are nitpicking about intonation, and there are BFTS, TrueTemperament Frets, Earvana nut, Floyd Rose tuning systems to keep the guitar in tune and whatnot, so why shouldn't we bicker and wish for something else they've might have overlooked?

:twisted:;)

PhredE, offsideref, Piotr and 4 others like this.
  2. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Holic

Thin necks. They seem to have gotten thinner and thinner over time. Some people like them but I find them very uncomfortable especially for longer sets. There’s not enough support for my fretting hand. Maybe my technique isn’t very good but still...

I wish more affordable guitars had slightly thicker neck options rather than necessarily looking to the custom shop selections.

sloppychops, CCK1, kennl and 14 others like this.
  3. MatsEriksson

Yes, that's one that's very valid, just as any other.

4. MatsEriksson

"Modern" boutique-gone-factory luthier like Rick Toone and especially .Strandberg guitarworks has these Trapezoid necks that seem unwieldy at first, and feels odd, but when you sit them for longer periods you detect, that ...well, nothing is fatiguing in your grip. However, they come headless, and that's another whole can of worms.

5. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

I don't have problems with anything these days (except Floyd Rose set-ups), compared to when I started playing in the mid '70s but why the heck do expensive Gibson solid-bodies still have such weak necks? If my Telecaster fell over it would probably damage the floor...

6. MatsEriksson

The elephant in the room. There maybe was one or two reasons why Gibson was about to go belly up 2-3 years ago or what it was. I would guess that those extortionate prices was just to keep them from bankrupcy, but that money went elsewhere. People detected their scam?

7. Blue

Blue Tele-Afflicted

PRS hideous head stock and those dreadful bird inlays. :eek:

8. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My peeve is that few manufacturers offer stainless steel frets as an option or standard. The neck builders that offer them only charge $20 or $30 more.

9. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I never minded the headstock, but I can do without the birds. Maybe on a special model, but they don't seem right to me on the more utilitarian models. It's like bling rims on a Corolla.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  10. Falstaff1960

Falstaff1960 TDPRI Member

Weird body shapes for the sake of just trying to be different. Does anyone really need a reverse Flying V? A toilet seat guitar? A penis shaped guitar? I know there was one guitarist who even had one that squirted out a white liquid on the audience after his solos at shows, but really?

IMadeYouReadThis and StrangerNY like this.
  11. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Output jack on the front of the guitar (Strat, SG, 335, budget guitars with all electronics mounted directly to pickguard). Advantageous only to the manufacturer, not to the player.

12. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

My closest thing to complaints (though I could argue with myself the extent to which they are actually issues)

1. lack of pickup diversity. There are very few distinct forms of pickups today, (fender single coil, Gibson humbucker, p90s, etc). In the 1960s, there were hundreds. As a result, some of these examples sell for many hundreds of dollars. It would be nice to see manufacturers get more creative again.

2. Guitar design in general. There are very few unique or original designs that aren’t from boutique builders. It seems most manufacturers start with a strat or a les Paul and make tweaks from there. I don’t even like strats! As a result, boutique builders have been able to get a good hold on the market. Good for them.

13. myteleplaysjazz

myteleplaysjazz Tele-Holic

I kinda like the bird inlays, but the nut on PRS's is horrendous. It sticks up to high, and the bottom of my forefinger is always hitting up against it.

Fendereedo likes this.
  14. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

I hate extreme aesthetic mish-mashes.
    It triggers that old Sesame Street Song..One of these things is not like the other...
    Have you seen that D'Angelco offset Jazzmaster thing with the trad ornate D'Ang headstock?
    Hideous.
    And custom builders, I dont mind quirky, but cut it out with the extremely goofy mismatches and odds shapes for the hell of it.

myteleplaysjazz and Fendereedo like this.
  15. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

1. No experience.
    2. Yeah!
    3. Mmmk?
    4. Yes
    5. Yes
    I’m a guitarist at heart but I have hundreds of hours on bass over a 15 year stretch of my life. Guitarists are way to sentimental. Bassists adapt new technology faster on whole. Why do none of my twelve guitars have an active EQ or preamp?!? I know they’re out there and in the aftermarket but they’re rare. I put most of those hours on a Carvin with an asymmetrical neck(the only way these lil-smokies could play a 5 string). It’s finally showing up in guitar as a viable option. Hey guys...that Nutube is great...Scoff!

PhredE and MatsEriksson like this.
  16. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

Dunno, but I think the Covid virus was a business conspiracy by guitar manufacturers to stimulate sales. I have some investigators looking for evidence.

Found a great playing, inexpensive PRS SE. Couldn't deal with the birds so I passed on it.

Fresh 13/16 drill bit and a Les Paul style plate fixes that glitch. Also gets you a spare port for a pot or a switch.

17. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

Generalized peeve: Refusal to change "traditions" that aren't particularly good - simply for preserving tradition's sake. In fairness, guitar players tend to balk when they do, so maybe that's the issue.

18. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Lollipop poly finishes. Shiny guitars have their place I guess, but I prefer a little grit.

- D

19. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

including a year in the name of the model when very few features about the guitar were actually available in that year. Lookin' at you, Fender....

20. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

1. Tune-o-matic bridges. Everything that doesn't have a tele or strat gets a TOM. Design some hardware. TOMs have lots of issues. Stop going to the generic parts bin for everything.

2. Center blocks added to traditionally hollow models. Solidbody versions of guitars that weren't solid. Pretending a chambered body is "semi hollow". Basically most of what Gretsch is doing to their line up right now.

3. Making guitars that look like cool old oddball guitars, but sound like every generic les paul style guitar.

4. Every pickup is a mid rangey rock sounding version of something old that was better.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.